should i just wait for the softmod

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by zaki-PH27, Apr 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xandroz

Xandroz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 19, 2018
    Egypt
    jesus you type alot notimp, you should be a programmer you will love coding

2. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    Well you still have to wait for CFW so most likely softmode may come for 4.1 even on the same day release, because FG was also not supposed to be released just yet, but rather more after the CFW however we already have it, so the <=4.1.0 sofmod-only future release might not be so future...

All we can do is just wait... After FW4.1.0 softmod-only however, I don't think will come so soon and may even never come as the hardmod is so simple that I don't think they will care losing time to find a new way to run via software, hackers\devs will most likely waste their free time adding stuff to CFW instead or later try to exploit the new revised Switch Mariko with the known public exploits fixed...

Last edited by guily6669, Apr 29, 2018
  3. tivanh

tivanh GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    Ever heard of 'data mining'.

Json the bearded nippleman avatar and affiliates involved with gateway did it many times here and so now is executer who the same nippleman seems closely affiliated with..
    Its a standard feasibility study you include in your portfolio before being backed for mass production, which anyone with a motivation for business would surely conduct.
    Expect psuedo nood central here for a while to test the water. It's a given that this will occur.

If you dig around you'll see that pay per hacks has become a conglomerate. The original Executer and others jumped ship long ago, just in time to make some money for their name and reputation.

Look, you know and i know, you have nothing.

Your option is to put your dev team into a 'master race' software alternative that folks will want yesterday and no wait for our own to reverse and intigrate into the open platform. To even have a profitable space there, you need to tie it in with an affordable, noob savy dual nand system. History on your custom nand software from the xbox360, show the community effort was far more widely used even though it was mostly alongside your own chip.

Your best bet is a flashcard but you don't have that in you. If one does surface soon it will ultimately be shown to be nothing more than a redrm device attached to the publicly documented bootrom vulnerability. This won't suffice the community as the flashcards have a sitting in the mindset of the community as safe online.

Lots of work to do for the real money. No so much, but very risky, for the quick cash grab.

Last edited by tivanh, Apr 29, 2018
  4. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    I dont even have a clue where do you want to get with that lool...

Just put a a cable on pin 10 to ground, send the payload, install CFW and all is good for free on any FW... Now the payload is on android so you can even do it On-the-go, just buy a 3D printed jig and you can turn OFF Switch whenever you want as you will only need to put the jig, press a button on android and boom its running the hack again...

And all of this is just until the self-bootable exploit gets release and you would just need RCM a single time and have everything 4 ever...

ps: But off course CFW is still coming soon on Summer, don't forget that.

5. notimp

notimp GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2007
    In an effort to let everyone win a little, yes - and this has to be the fourth or fifth time, I had to post that quote in the past three days. I was trying to reduce the amount of repeated work that has to go into forming peoples expectations around those hacks. I understand that I might have done so a little aggressively at that point already.

My main message in here was, that things are in the process of coming together, and people should not make big decision around what firmware to update to, or to go with - based on an incomplete set of informations - and also, that individually asking us to do that for them is never a good idea (many people want that kind of support), much less right now.

(Before even the full featureset of all the solutions, and the CFW is known, and before we know how Nintendo might be able to react to those packages individually (the "can I always update to most recent" and "will I be banned from online" parts).)

Things are in flux.

The difference between pin 10 always being able to be shorted out from the inside or not (does the right controller then function as expected, is it detectable by N) may be the difference between people having to go for a "modchip" or not (no negative connotation).

The most important difference of launching RCM from a software exploit on 1.0.0 through 4.1.0 compared to the dongle method, might literally turn out to be reliability and seconds until RCM boot.

Being able to do the USB code injection part in software might turn out to be the difference of having to use another powered device or not - and ultimately usability.

So what do you answer to someone asking if they should wait, or update currently? Or asking how they boot Linux on their Switch now, with an Android app - just to see it not perfectly working - and not integrated with a CFW solution that most people will want to use over time (arguably).

The easy answers ("softmod only with 1.0.0") are not available yet. Neither are enduser use cases for the fusee gelee hack (Linux boots, but...) - they will come soon enough, but it makes little sense to individually support people to reach a point where they can not do much right now - or they don't have all the information needed (probabilities yes, facts no) to make informed decisions what to do with their Switch.

But many of them want to know, right now. For whatever reason. Apparently even morning TV shows reported on the "hack", so "I'm here, wheres my tutor for Linux on the Switch - I also want to play Playstation 2" has become a popular mindset that we get to deal with.

Last edited by notimp, Apr 29, 2018
  6. Ric-Are-Those

Ric-Are-Those GBAtemp Regular

Jan 2, 2018
    United States
    Hold up, didn't kate say =<3.0.0 could be softmodded, just doing the hardmod is just much easier in comparison?

7. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    Later I said currently.
    Yes, probably all versions will get softmod, but right now, for normal user, only 1.0.0 can do it.

8. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

GBAtemp Patron
    Quantumcat is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Before you post can you PLEASE think about what point you'd like to make BEFORE you comment and not just write whatever comes into your head as you think it? You have to realise by now that nobody reads the whole of any of your posts. You could be the smartest person here and no one would realise it since no one reads your comments. With all your other thoughts that get trimmed from your posts because there's too many of them, you could put them in blog entries.

Edit: to be honest you sound a bit like one of my textbooks, which I make valiant efforts to read until I realise I have drifted off halfway through a paragraph and am now reading a sentence I read two minutes ago and didn't even realise.

Last edited by Quantumcat, Apr 29, 2018
  9. Ric-Are-Those

Ric-Are-Those GBAtemp Regular

Jan 2, 2018
    United States
    Thanks for the clarification.
    Now we only need to know if it stands up for the LGBT community.

Draxzelex likes this.
  10. Alex4nder001

Alex4nder001 Part-time thug

Jul 28, 2017
    United Kingdom
    London
    Ummm... What softmod?
    Forgive me but I have not followed the switch scene for a while now so I don't know what you're talking about.

11. PatrickJr

PatrickJr GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2017
    Bridgwater
    How are you failing so badly?

12. Kubas_inko

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    http://www.ktemkin.com/

13. Alex4nder001

Alex4nder001 Part-time thug

Jul 28, 2017
    United Kingdom
    London
    I know about the Fusee Gelee, and it requires opening up your joy-con so technically it isn't a softmod

14. Kubas_inko

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    Then you technically know what are we talking about. Softmod allows you to launch f-g from (currently) a script, which you run on your pegaswitch.

15. Pluupy

Pluupy _(:3」∠)_

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Good lord notimp learn brevity. Your posts are so longwinded and /r/iamverysmart. I'm sick of scrolling through this thread because of your annoying, threadjacking posts and can hardly understand what is going on with responses to OP.

Draxzelex and Xandroz like this.
  16. DocAmes1980

DocAmes1980 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 31, 2016
    United States
    I just ignored notimp. It's better than Adblock. Scrolling to the bottom of a thread page is so much faster. Entire walls of useless bullshit are gone.

Pluupy, Draxzelex and Kubas_inko like this.
  17. SimonMKWii

SimonMKWii Professional Idiot

Nov 18, 2017
    Australia
    Melbourne, Victoria
    *I'll *breaking *HELL *what's
    If you're going to be a facetious dick, at least spell things correctly. :ha:

Draxzelex and Xandroz like this.
  18. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    Just... stop... it's embarrassing...

19. Ghassen-ga

Ghassen-ga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 21, 2016
    Dude is like a living meme :rofl2:

20. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    I wonder if someone can get banned now for being too facetious...

Anyways, trying to get back on topic here:
    There is a softmod that will work on firmwares 3.0 and below but it has not been publicly released yet. Ktemkin also said that there will eventually be a softmod available for firmwares 3.01 to 4.1. So far, no word for softmods on 5.x

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.