Should I get the iPlayer?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Jakob95, Jul 20, 2009.

Jul 20, 2009

Should I get the iPlayer? by Jakob95 at 3:08 AM (5,736 Views / 0 Likes) 59 replies

1. Jakob95
    OP

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
    I like to listen to a lot of music and I like to play videos. That why I kind of want to get it.

I already have a DS lite. I have a R4 (original). I have a Acekard 2i. Its kind of anoyying to always convert what I want to whach into DPG... And the quality is not good. But the downside is I can't play Mp4 videos on Iplayer.

I already have a PSP 1000, and a Ipod Video.

Should I get the iplayer its also kind of expensive.

2. Da-Bomb1

Member Da-Bomb1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    It should work with mpeg 4 videos? Also, it's a bit cheaper if you get it at dealextreme.

But really, I guess it just depends on whether you want to spend the money. It looks okay, but it's just more expensive than all the other flashcarts out there. It also doesn't boot ROMs, which sounds like a bit of a bother. And, well, the PSP has a nicer screen than the DS...though the screen on the iPod's a bit small. So...guess it really just depends on whether or not you wanna spend the money in the end. [​IMG]

3. Chris_Skylock

Member Chris_Skylock GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Philippines
    expensive? you people dont know the word EXPENSIVE. Acekard 2i here or any flashcart is priced at the same as the iPlayer in the US and yet people here buys it. Those seller morons.

So, yeah, If I were in the US, it'll be expensive. But since I've been buying flashcarts, that iPlayer price tag is not expensive anymore to me.

BE careful when buying that iPlayer. You might want to upgrade to a DSi sometime in te future. Perhaps a new movie player will be added in the DSi update 2 years from now. I cant tell what the future holds. Think twice and made the right choice.

Right now, it's a nice product. I will get it for sure but I cant always watch movie 5 hours staright with my DS, dont I?

4. benjaminlibl

Member benjaminlibl Funky Member

Singapore
    Chris_Skylock.. You don't have to buy it if you don't want to, man. I'd be OK if you were complaining about prices, but calling the people who sell the carts morons seems a bit excessive. Everyone has to make a living somehow.

Jakob95, why don't you just get it, anyhow? You already have a PSP, an iPod video, an NDS and 2 flashcarts and you're worrying about it being expensive?

5. Chris_Skylock

Member Chris_Skylock GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Philippines
    Im talking about the people selling it in my country and nothing more.

This is a worthy card if it can be supported by many developers. *coughhomebrewcough*

AFAIK, this supports homebrew, right? I wonder if moonshell 2 can be played on this thing with rom support? perhaps not because we need DLDI patching moonshell 2

6. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    i read a few reviews and it seems the firmware fails a bit right now. also hq vids won't run, and it does "ask" for specific resolutions. for best quality you might end up reencoding all your vids. if that is the case isn't it better just to stick with dpg? the new dpg standard is looking pretty good. i guess external subs is a nice addition but i already know how to code subs by hand and tweaking them a bit for dpg and hardcoding is not an issue for me.

-another world

7. Da-Bomb1

Canada
    Well, I had some pretty bad buffering issues with dpg...most videos seem to make the buffer run right down to red right away if the entire scene starts moving around. Dunno if it's because of the bitrate I encoded it at, or my memory card...but then again, I've found that my memory card's pretty fast. But for some reason, moonshell won't recognize my 3in1. A bit of a bummer.

8. Pendor

Member Pendor GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    1) It depends on the original file.
    2) I've used the latest moonlight's build of DPGEnc several times and the resulting quality is really good. Really good.

9. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    the iplayer seems to be marketed to the lazy people of the world who do not understand the art that is "encoding." i can remaster a vid, fix the audio, and then convert to dpg with a dvd-like quality. it takes time, and i don't always do it, but when i take trips i'll make sure the vids with me are next to perfect. if the iplayer software can fix the quirks than the unit might be worth picking up. i don't want to see limitations on resolution, encoding, containers, sub-titles, etc. the kit has an onboard cpu which i hope they push to its limits. still i know that most of that is not realistic, and in the end the kit will probably play a handful of formats well, and the rest pretty good.

-another world

10. Da-Bomb1

Canada
    Well, if the card turns out to be a commercial flop, chances are that they won't support it very much at all.

11. Da-Bomb1

Canada
    ...haha, and it looks like the buffering issues were due to my epic fail in not using the encoder that comes with moonshell. They've gotta make that one more accessible. [​IMG] The fact that the text looks all garbled when the language is set to japanese at default kinda threw me off. Guess I should have looked at the configuration file to begin with.

12. benjaminlibl

Singapore
    Yes. The people selling it in your country. Depending on how you look at it, they're hustlers, or they're smart people. Buy from manufacturer at low price, sell at a high price. That's how you make a profit, you know. If people do buy the cards, I don't see how you can call them morons seeing how much money they're probably earning.

Anyways, on-topic. The videos I've converted with DPGtools are pretty damn clear, except I had to change the resolution before or it'd come out all squished.

13. Jakob95
    OP

United States
    Also another major problem for me is it takes so long to encode a 150Mb mp4 on SUPER to DPG. It takes forever...

14. hyun

Member hyun GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yeah you should really!
    its really good.
    And I recommend 4coolday because they have really cheap price and mostly a nice service.
    And a FREE shipping!

15. Jakob95
    OP

United States
    Since the Iplayer can not play Mp4 that means I have to use AVI. What is better AVI or Mp4 in quility?

And also the bad thing is that AVI is 2x bigger than Mp4.

EDIT: I will buy it if they ever make a new firmware update that has a application which you can whach Youtube videos something like what the Itouch has. A Web Browser would be nice.

16. benjaminlibl

Singapore
    Yes, that seems extremely likely to happen in the near future.

17. Jakob95
    OP

United States
    Whatever I don't even need it. Ima just use my Ipod. The thing is that sucks it needs earphones to listen to the sound. But still w/e. I just needed it to whach the whole Series of Heroes. There are 59 episodes in total. And each one is about 150Mb. And I only have a MicroSD of 4gb so I can't put the whole series inside the MicroSD I rather put it into my Ipod which has 30gb.

18. Jakob95
    OP

United States
    I usually download Mp4 videos. Since I have my source were to download Mp4 videos. And anyways since the Iplayer needs to play AVI videos that means its going to even waste more memory and MicroSD don't have a lot of memory in them.

19. Jakob95
    OP

United States
    Also there is no way ever for me to Run Mp4 or AVI just with my DS lite and Acekard 2i? When the DSi gets hacked you think it could run videos without the iplayer?

20. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    It wouldn't be that much more for an AVI for a 45 minute show. 150MB for an MP4? What resolution?

Depending on the codec used it could probably be about 300MB in AVI form for 720p. Scale it down to iPod resolution and it'd probably be smaller.

But the problem is, the DS isn't meant to be a media player, which is why MicroSD cards don't really need much space, although 8GB is usually plently unless you're some obsessive freak that wants every episode of Heroes on it.

Edit: Currently encoding an Episode of Red Dwarf at 1000kbps with the Xvid codec, after 70% encoding it has yielded a 153MB file, the bitrate is probably rather high for a video that would be watched on the DS, though. I'm also not quite sure which codecs the iPlayer can utilize, nor it's optimum bitrate.

Edit 2: Final Filesize - 240MB. Bitrate probably needs turning down quite a bit.