Should I get a 1080p TV for Switch games?

  • Thread starter Thread starter yankii
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 443
  • Replies Replies 5

yankii

Nintendo = God
Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2025
Messages
909
Reaction score
1,360
Trophies
1
XP
2,639
Country
Antarctica
They cost more than 4K sets for some strange reason, but I'm not sure if the Switch looks good on 4K screens despite the integer scaling. Has anyone compared the two irl?
 
They cost more than 4K sets for some strange reason, but I'm not sure if the Switch looks good on 4K screens despite the integer scaling. Has anyone compared the two irl?
Of course it looks good on 4K sets, I've been playing my Switch on 4K sets since it released on 2017, first on a Sony Something, then on an LG C9 a couple years after that.
It looked perfectly fine, specially on the C9.
I've also played on shittier 1080p TVs, and it looks way better on the C9. It is a matter of panel quality there, color reproduction, black levels, response time.
It doesn't look better on a 1080p TV, also on most games it will render way lower than 1080p anyway and there goes your pixel perfect dream, e.g. Xenoblade Chronicles 2.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Blythe93
I've got mine hooked up to my 4k 75" Samsung and it looks amazing. But I also run my Switch thru my Retrotink4k which upscales to 4k. That could be part of the reason it looks good. The tv upscales also but I read that Sony tv's have the best upscaling so a new Sony tv is on my list.
 
Like you said, integer scaling. Each pixel of the 1080p image is displayed as a 2x2 square of pixels at 4K (aka 2160p), so it looks as pixel-perfect as it would on a 1080p display.
 
Not all TVs do integer scaling, there's usually some kind of smoothing filter, which also introduces some lag.

For a dedicated Switch setup, rather than a 1080p or 4K TV, I would spend the money on a mClassic and a 1440p monitor (60Hz maximum, no need for more). That or a RetroTINK-4K.

Unless you want to "upgrade" to a Switch 2, which is advertised to output 4K.
 
I use my Switch on a 4K monitor and I can see the low quality of the home screen very clearly but I don't mind just obvious on the higher quality screen.
 

Site & Scene News

New Hot Discussed User Submitted