Should I downgrade sysnand to 4.x?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by bunky, Jun 11, 2015.

1. bunky
    OP

bunky Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2015
    Taiwan
    this scene is updating faster than I can keep up, so many CFW came out, I'm currently using Gateway card, but it's not so convenient to go online every time I want to boot into GW mode, especially when I'm not at home with wifi, and I don't have android phone for offline boot, so I'm considering downgrade my sysnand to 4.x, is this still the way to go now?

2. OctopusRift

OctopusRift GBATemp's Local Octopus, Open 9am-2am. "Not Yet"

Nov 19, 2014
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Wait up! 9.x Pasta will be coming out soon via spider, so, just wait a couple.

Margen67 likes this.
  3. bunky
    OP

bunky Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2015
    Taiwan
    Cool, I don't know what spider is(see? I'm so outdated), but I'll hold till future Pasta release then, don't feel like risking my o3ds for downgrade anyway.

OctopusRift likes this.
  4. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Just make a backup of your current firmware so you can easily go back (via GW system restore) if you don't like 4.5 for whatever reason. Backup your N. 3ds folder too.

Margen67 likes this.
  5. Just3DS

Just3DS GBAtemp Fan

Jan 31, 2015
    Trust me, it's easier to use the MSET method on O3DS. However before downgrading make sure you create a sysNAND backup and backup your emuNAND from console SD card OR (the recommeded option is) get a blank SD card size enough to hold launcher.dat, Nintendo 3DS folder copied from your current SD card from console and the correct .dg downgrade pack file for your console. After downgrading you can put back your original SD card back in so you don't lose any stuff. Don't forget to install MSET exploit using blue cart or any DS flashcart or you gonna keep wondering why DS profile settings doesn't launch GW.

6. samiam144

samiam144 Régulier

Aug 19, 2007
    Canada
    Spider Pasta will still need an internet connection, so that doesn't really help his situation lol

@bunky what firmware are you? if you are higher than 7.x and you downgrade to 4.x then your game saves will become "corrupted" (there is no way currently to convert them to be compatible)

7. bunky
    OP

bunky Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2015
    Taiwan
    9.2 firmware, still can't decide what to do...

OctopusRift likes this.
  8. samiam144

samiam144 Régulier

Aug 19, 2007
    Canada
    I downgraded from the moment it was possible; only lost my smash save (had to restart), but it was way better than having to use WiFi at home/through android hotspot. It's all up to you man, although it may be possible for MSET on 9.2 to happen in the near future.

9. kirbymaster101

kirbymaster101 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 21, 2008
    Canada
    would using sdf have worked to avoid losing the smash save?

10. samiam144

samiam144 Régulier

Aug 19, 2007
    Canada
    Unfortunately, savedatafiler can't do that. It can only decrypt to a certain extent i.e. you can move saves to another .3ds rom with a different header. But it can't convert a 7.x or higher save to work with anything under 7.x :unsure:

11. VashTS

VashTS Beat it, son

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    i recommend downgrading. make a backup in case anything goes wrong and you can get a NAND mod to flash it back if it fails.

I've went back and forth quite a bit, not a single error.