Hardware Should i buy the GATEWAY 3DS??

Should i buy GATEWAY 3DS for my 3DS XL because of all these talks about GW bricking?

• Total voters

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
Ok, so im selling my original 3DS 7.1FW and buying this used 3DS XL with 4.5 FW because i want do buy GW3DS for it. [the biggest reason for buying XL for me is size (big hands), battery (spoiled by DS lite), and screen (poor sight) ]

But here's the thing..i'm a little afraid of these bricking thing from Gateway cards and if there isn't that i would buy GW3DS without thinking. So i'm a little scared cause i dont want to brick my XL :/

So, what are you're opinions..should i buy GW3DS for my new XL?
What would you do? and some advices please...

Minna, arigatou gozaimashita! ^^

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so im selling my original 3DS 7.1FW and buying this used 3DS XL with 4.5 FW because i want do buy GW3DS for it. [the biggest reason for buying XL for me is size (big hands), battery (spoiled by DS lite), and screen (poor sight) ]

But here's the thing..i'm a little afraid of these bricking thing from Gateway cards and if there isn't that i would buy GW3DS without thinking. So i'm a little scared cause i dont want to brick my XL :/

So, what are you're opinions..should i buy GW3DS for my new XL?
What would you do? and some advices please...

Minna, arigatou gozaimashita! ^^

The Gateway 3DS is definitely a nice flash chip. In terms of its features, it's probably the best option. The only reason why people would suggest otherwise is because of the whole bricking deal. According to their website, you have to use only their files. Some have reported using their files only and still ended up with a brick though. If you are nervous, you can just as easily use an older firmware where the bricking code is not present. Another option is the MT-card, but in all honesty it's still lacking in some features that bring it to an acceptable baseline.

Reactions: crazyace2011

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
The Gateway 3DS is definitely a nice flash chip. In terms of its features, it's probably the best option. The only reason why people would suggest otherwise is because of the whole bricking deal. According to their website, you have to use only their files. Some have reported using their files only and still ended up with a brick though. If you are nervous, you can just as easily use an older firmware where the bricking code is not present. Another option is the MT-card, but in all honesty it's still lacking in some features that bring it to an acceptable baseline.

Thanks, i'm little less anxious now :)

By the way ryukouki, what would you do? would you buy GW and use older FW? and what FW would that be?

And a... is this good one http://www.nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=501 i had great experience with them.

And by the way, can you post some link with older, NON problematic GW firmware here? :)

crazyace2011

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
unfortunately we cant post links to gateways firmware its against the rules since gbatemp got a notice about having gateways firmware in their download section. just go to gateways download section and right click and copy shortcut. open a new browser and paste in address bar but change the last part to what firmware you want. here is the different ones:

GW_Release_1.0
GW_Release_1.1a
GW_Release_1.2
GW_BETA_RELEASE_2.0b1
GW_BETA_RELEASE_2.0b2 (latest one)

hope that helps.

im using the latest firmware im not worried about bricking my 3ds it happens it happens. just buy another one then be careful with that one :D

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, i'm little less anxious now :)

By the way ryukouki, what would you do? would you buy GW and use older FW? and what FW would that be?

And a... is this good one http://www.nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=501 i had great experience with them.

And by the way, can you post some link with older, NON problematic GW firmware here? :)

NDS-card is reliable. If it were me, I'd use the Gateway on a more recent firmware. That's me though. I like the newest and latest. As far as links I cannot. This site was hit by a DMCA notice that prohibits that.

Reactions: crazyace2011

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
NDS-card is reliable. If it were me, I'd use the Gateway on a more recent firmware. That's me though. I like the newest and latest. As far as links I cannot. This site was hit by a DMCA notice that prohibits that.

Hmm yeah, i also like the latest, but didn't you said that latest GV FW have a "bricking" issue...might have..
i mean even a little risky is still risky to go with latest version of GW FW. wouldn't you agree?

What can latest do that never GW FW can't... ?

nervx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would wait for the final gateway 2.0 firmware before making a purchase. im hoping the delay is because they're implementing a safe anti clone protection that wont harm users hardware.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I would wait until a free software based solution became available. Of course this will likely take quite some time but that 3DS won't run away.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
I would wait until a free software based solution became available. Of course this will likely take quite some time but that 3DS won't run away.

True, but i really want to play and test majority of 3DS games.
it's not like i'm about to save Zion (matrix) and must wait...

Besides, to reply on nervx comment.. That's all ok, but software is not the same as Hardware, right?
I mean i can buy GW but wait for the software...what's the difference?
Hardware is hardware, only software changes...

boomario

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I have the same question as you, thinking to buy a 3DS XL and a gateway card but considering that will be expensive for me and now this brick risk i'm about to reconsider it
Also, i have a few questions:
- 3D effect in game works or not? Just out of curiosity even because i will keep turned off
- What is the best card now? I'm thinking get a genuine gateway but looking at that new MT Card seems a good choice also.
- Worth looking everywhere to a 4.5 3DS and after that spend more a big money on the flashcart? I will have to sell my PSP (i'm not using to much lately anyway) to be able to buy everything.

Reactions: Metoroid0

Öhr

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
id wait for a new hack to be found for 4.5+ firmwares and a proper homebrew community. will probably take a while, but itll be worth it, more than a GW...

Öhr

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
in meanwhile you can use GW on 1.2 GWFW, they said its brick-safe...
after that it's easy to sell gw, or not :D
and you gonna trust the "brick-safe"-statement from the guys that initially put in the bricking part? I'd keep my 3DS and my money if I were you (=all of you).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)