Hacking Should I buy the DS Lite or DSi

clusterone

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello Everyone. I'm a new member of this forum and would first like to start my first post saying thank you to all the members. I have been reading the forums and your posts have been very insightful. Here is my situation: I do not own a Nintendo DS yet. I am considering getting a Lite or DSi based off of using the Acekard 2.1 or 2i for all the amazing things that it offers. I originally thought that I should buy the DSi, it’s newer with a few more features; I thought newer is better......

Well, as I did my research, it appears that since the DSi has upgradeable firmware, there is a very strong possibility that Nintendo will update the firmware to patch and inhibit the Acekard. If this is so, since I am primarily interested in using AK2 and all it has to offer, I am now leaning towards getting a DS Lite. I am looking for some advice on your expertise on how I should decide.

In summary: I'm leaning on purchasing a DS Lite with AK2.1 instead of DSi with AK2i because of the (high?) possibility of a Nintendo firmware update that will block Acekard.

Thank you all very much and I'm very excited to see what you guys think!

-Benjy

CoconutCake

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you only care about playing DS games and like having GBA support, get a Lite & AK2.1.

If you must have the extra features of the DSi, and don't care about GBA, get a DSi & AK2i and hope they don't kill it with a firmware update.

Personally I'm happy with my Lite. I tried a DSi and wasn't that impressed.

lowdwn169

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
being an owner of both a DS Lite and DSi, i would say get the Lite. i like the options and new dodads on the DSi, but i love having the option to pick up one of my old GBA games and being able to play it. more of a variety of choices with the Lite.

option... get the Acekard2i and get the lite and maybe upgrade to the DSi later on after a price drop

clusterone

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the responses so far...

Right now I am leaning towards the Lite. I mostly just want to play DS games, while also being pretty interested in playing around with homebrewed applications and games. The Lite is $40 cheaper and currently the AK is the same between the lite and dsi with no time frame of this changing.

Wedge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My son and I both have DS Lites & Acekard 2's, but we're getting DSi's as soon as the Acekard 2i's we've already ordered arrive. The feature we both want is WPA security compatible Wi-Fi to play online enabled games. The DS Lite only supports outdated WEP security, which is not secure.

Ironically, I know that enabling the Wi-Fi for gaming will also open us up to downloadable firmware updates that may eventually block the Acekard 2i. I hope we'll still be allowed to play online if we've declined to accept the latest firmware download.

klopfdreh

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I got both, one (dslite / R4) my girlfriend is playing with and the dsi - soon with ak2i - I'm playing with. For me it is very interesting to put my mp3s as m4a on my 4 gb sdhc in the side of the dsi and to have much more space on the flashcard sdhc, because there have to be no mp3s on it. Currently both systems have the same features, but you are up to date with games they may come out for dsi. So why not buy dsi? Imagin' the new chips with full dsi support will be released - you would have double cpu power to run homebrew - cameras and so on! Thats my opinion only and I'm very happy to own a dsi.

Wedge, every router supports mac filtering, so that you can prevent other users to log into your network and who in your neighborhood cares what you are playing? I think web encryption is enought for a private home network and all realy important transactions should be done via 100mbit connections, because any encryption isn't save.

Womp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wedge said:
My son and I both have DS Lites & Acekard 2's, but we're getting DSi's as soon as the Acekard 2i's we've already ordered arrive. The feature we both want is WPA security compatible Wi-Fi to play online enabled games. The DS Lite only supports outdated WEP security, which is not secure.

Ironically, I know that enabling the Wi-Fi for gaming will also open us up to downloadable firmware updates that may eventually block the Acekard 2i. I hope we'll still be allowed to play online if we've declined to accept the latest firmware download.

Just an FYI but from what I understand all those DS games that previously supported WEP will continue to only support WEP even on the DSi. There will be no WPA option for them even when using the DSi.

CoconutCake

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Womp said:
Just an FYI but from what I understand all those DS games that previously supported WEP will continue to only support WEP even on the DSi. There will be no WPA option for them even when using the DSi.

Yes, you are right. I bet many people don't even realize that.

clusterone

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm....

So if I was to get the DSi and refused to update the firmware (once it blocks AK2i), would I still be able to use the goodies (picture, music, sound programs), play wifi, and/or surf the web through a homebrewed browser while we all wait for progression with hacking the DSi?

jarocho4l1f3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I myself have a DSi and if u want to get on the internet it will prompt u before u go to the internet to upgrade firmware but if u choose no u will not go on the internet...

sucks i know i have an AK2i myself but came out defective so i returned to store for new one

(dont know about homebrwed browser...)

good luck on your choice

~jarocho4life
yay.gif

klopfdreh

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thats not right! If you now get a dsi and update to 1.3x and download the browser, you will be able to connect to internet if you want to - only the dsi shop needs a firmware-update! There are no questions about updates if you go online with your browser!

Here is the topic where I added serveral questions I'm interessted in:
Systemchange DSLite/R4 to DSi/Acekard2i

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    jdhello
    @SylverReZ that guy seriously spent over 2 grand on that hot wheels pc?
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    LTT is a noob
    Guy doesnt know wtf hes talking about half the time
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads