Hardware Should I buy a Japanese 2000 Vita?

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi all,

I was looking to buy a Vita.

I was considering a Japanese 2000, as they are priced well.
Would there be any problems if I bought one? i.e. Region problems?

Also, which is better? Phat or slim? What is the technical difference between the two? Just size?

Kind regards

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Region-wise you won't encounter any problems, but I don't necessarily see the point in importing one. The only benefits are the built-in storage which is meager anyways and the improved Start and Select buttons which rarely see any use. You could argue that the grip is better, but... myeh - that's hardly a feature. The PSVita 2000 is also slightly lighter, but that doesn't make or break a system.

EDIT: As Tom mentions below, the touchpad is smaller... which doesn't change much either way because you rarely have to use it.

The Phat is perfectly fine as-is and the OLED screen is gorgeous. The LCD one is said to match it in sheer pixel density, but I sincerely doubt that it'll match it in sheer colour saturation and "detail" - I love that OLED, even if it's said to be slightly darker than the LCD screen, since I personally never had any problems with the brightness.

In my opinion, it's really same difference. Neither is region locked, so whichever one you pick will be fine. I personally recommend the PSVita 1000, and if you want to import something, import the 64GB memory card which is great value per gigabyte and hasn't seen a western release yet - PSV-1000+64GB storage sounds dreamy.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
The Vita is region free (well not counting the Vita TV), so you should have no problems there.

The difference between the 2 are fairly small, the biggest difference being the switch from an OLED screen to an LCD screen. They also replaced Sony's proprietary data cable to a Micro USB cable, the rear touch pad is smaller, and I believe it has a small amount of built-in memory.

Honestly, the only reason I would recommend getting a Vita 2000 as compared to the first version is if it were cheaper (which, at least in the US, isn't the case).

If you can get your hands on an OLED Vita, then I would strongly suggest you do so.

Reactions: Foxi4

Schizoanalysis

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi all,

I want a white one, and they don't sell white here.
Also, it is cheaper for me to import one anyway, so that is not the problem.

I guess the question is: should I import a phat white japanese one, or a slim white japanese one?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hi all,

I want a white one, and they don't sell white here.
Also, it is cheaper for me to import one anyway, so that is not the problem.

I guess the question is: should I import a phat white japanese one, or a slim white japanese one?
I personally like the "phat" model better myself - the only things I envy are the better Start/Select buttons. The amount of storage is insignificant and so are the size/weight differences.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hmm... the phat one is $90 more than the slim one.

Decisions, decisions. Is it worth paying $90 more for a phat one?
If it's that much of a difference then get the Slim one and buy a memory card with the remainder of your cash - I assumed it would be the other way around. There's really virtually no substantial difference between the two other than the screen, and as beautiful as it is, it ain't worth $90. Were the two systems the same price for you, I'd go for the phat.

Schizoanalysis

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If it's that much of a difference then get the Slim one and buy a memory card with the remainder of your cash - I assumed it would be the other way around. There's really virtually no substantial difference between the two other than the screen, and as beautiful as it is, it ain't worth $90. Were the two systems the same price for you, I'd go for the phat.

Yeah, I think I'll get the slim. I think it looks a little nicer too, in terms of the form factor.

Cortador

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have both and imo, the 2000 is a lot better. You may think that being only 15% thinner/lighter is nothing, but it makes a huge difference.

Plus even with my small hands, I don't have to worry about my fingers accidentally hitting the rear touchpad anymore.

Only thing the 1000 has over the 2000 is Weight/Size (Cramps after some time playing).
Oh and the Oled which while it looks nice, its not that big of a deal. (2000 looks just as beautiful.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Ordered one the other day. Picked a White/Blue model. I don't get the hype of the OLED.. while yes, it looks good. I'd rather have something to last me while playing. There are tons of reviews around, and in all honesty, the screen should never be the reason you pick one over the other unless they went non-hd. Plus it's lighter, the smaller touchpad is a plus (in my book) as it gives room for better grip and you're not doing accidental presses in some games.

Truthfully, I say yes. But, hey, I'll get scolded (like I normally do) cuz I can't care about OLED.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up