Should I buy a GBM? And from where?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Extreme Coder, Jan 5, 2008.

Jan 5, 2008
  1. Extreme Coder
    OP

Member Extreme Coder GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    I always wanted to have an extra handheld.
    I read a topic on the GBA section about the Micro, and how people talked about it in it, just made me more and more want to get one. (especially the way Mthrnite was talking about it)
    I was already almost broke because I just ordered a DS Lite, but they were convincing me to buy a GBM! :/

So first, do you guys really think it's worth getting a GBM, this late in the GBA's lifetime? Does the game library make up for it?

Second, do you know any online website which sells them, for decent prices(less than $50) ?

Thanks a lot.

2. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    I don't think you can get one online for less than 50 dollars. All the places which are in stock are Asian game retailers like play-asia and renchi, and they sell them for over 60 USD (IIRC it goes up to 100 USD)

If you haven't played all the worthy titles - then it is worth it.

3. Extreme Coder
    OP

Egypt
    And are asian retailers the only ones that carry them? :/

4. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    GBA Micro's are great!
    They're really light weight and have very bright screens.
    They may take a bit of time to get used to, but they're definately nice handhelds.
    Really portable; as they're so tiny and light weight.
    Plus, your screen never gets scratched (just replace the neat faceplates if it gets roughed up too much)

You could score one for around 50 or so dollars (check on eBay) [​IMG]

5. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    The GBA game library is very good, but the DS Lite can also play GBA games. I would advice getting a Slot-2 cart. If you think the games are good enough to buy a Micro for (I don't see why you would) you can always buy a Micro and use the Slot-2 cart in that.

6. Extreme Coder
    OP

Egypt
    I already have SuperCard MiniSD, and one of these old NAND/NOR/whatever cards with 64 MB [​IMG]

7. Extreme Coder
    OP

Egypt
    Is it a good idea to ask for it on the trading forum here? I might just try that..

8. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    I'd post a WTB, as you're probably not going to find an online site that ships to Egypt...

Good luck [​IMG]

9. stephenophof

Member stephenophof GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I think you can better buy your DS Lite. On a DS you can play GBA games too...

My opinion about the GBM:
    The worst handheld ever.

10. Extreme Coder
    OP

Egypt
    I'm already buying one [​IMG]
    This is just another handheld for me [​IMG]

11. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Wait until your Lite arrives, try out some GBA games on that and then decide. And think about how you're planning on using it; the whole point of the Micro is using it while you're out. If you're going to carry the Lite around with you everywhere or only play when you're at home then you don't really need a Micro too, the DS will be enough.

The Micro is a good console, but it's not for everyone. It's better to be sure you need it and are actually going to get a fair bit of use out of it, especially taking into account how difficult it'll be for you to get one. [​IMG]

12. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    I got mine off of ebay used for 40$, and I use it in school during mass assemblies.

13. Extreme Coder
    OP

Egypt
    I have 2 casual gaming sisters, and a little gaming-crazed brother, so I'm sure it will come in handy. All my sisters and brother love playing GBA games on the PC(although they only played a few).

It's just an issue of getting one, I posted a WTB topic in the trading forum, no offers so far.

According to wikipedia, the GBM retails for $49 in North America.. If that's true, maybe I can ask someone to buy it for me, and I will pay him it's worth, shipping and a few extra bucks for their trouble [​IMG]

14. ShadowStitch

Member ShadowStitch Devilot's Tubtoy

United States
    I absolutely adore my little GBA Micro! It's so small you can toss it in your pocket, the screen is clear for how small it is, and GBA games fit nice and flush...with a GBA flashcart, you've got a portable gaming monster! I fill mine with RPGs and Tactical games, and break it out whenever I have a spare minute...it's really an underrated system.

It comes with a nice little felt bag ,but that hasn't stopped me from scratching up almost all of the faceplates I bought for it (which is a shame...I DESIRE more faceplates, but they're getting harder to find)

The only problem is that it uses its own proprietary plug for charging and whatnot, and you have to buy special link cables and such to fit it.
    (though I managed to sidestep that by ripping out the GBM plug and soldering in a standard USB plug for charging. [​IMG])

As for buying one new? I haven't seen a NEW GBM in over a year, since all the stores clearanced them out, marked them down and got rid of their stock last xmas. [​IMG]