Should I be forced to go to Church against my own will?

skystealer

Muah~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to put this in the shortest way possible before my mom yells at me "Get off the computer and get dressed."

Alright, Should anyone be forced to go to church against their own will? I mean, I believe in god, but I refuse to just go to Church because I got alot of stuff to manage as is. My DAD believes in god, but he NEVER goes and my mom never asks him a thing about it, but I'm forced to get up every Sunday morning, and sit through a long sermon with words that I can barely understand. And if i DIDN'T go, I'd get grounded for like a week.

Anyone think this is wrong, yes?
glare.gif

Tonitonichopchop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, she is your mom, so you should listen to her. The choice about going to church is ultimately up to you when you're older. What she's doing is a bit cruel, but it's completely fair.

boktor666

Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
skystealer said:
I'm going to put this in the shortest way possible before my mom yells at me "Get off the computer and get dressed."

Alright, Should anyone be forced to go to church against their own will? I mean, I believe in god, but I refuse to just go to Church because I got alot of stuff to manage as is. My DAD believes in god, but he NEVER goes and my mom never asks him a thing about it, but I'm forced to get up every Sunday morning, and sit through a long sermon with words that I can barely understand. And if i DIDN'T go, I'd get grounded for like a week.

Anyone think this is wrong, yes?
glare.gif
The point is, they actually can't force you I guess. It would violate some rights or something, but mostley, your dad isn't going= a reason that you, as kid, shouldn't interfere with.

However, I know how BORING those speeches are, since my sister used to sing in church choire, even though we don't have a religion. Talk about it with your mom, state your view on it, and discuss the possiblities, this is the only way to settle this without a fight.

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Well she can't drag you there so you do have the option of not going, keeping in mind the consequences that you may have to face.

Talk to your dad?

denieru7

Trophies
XP
Country
I went through the same thing as you, I used to believe in God and I was Christian and believed everything I was told about Christianity, but I hated sermons. They bored the shit out of me, I never understood them and I always tried to find a way to sleep.

While it's not fair, it's best to just do as they say. We stopped going to church eventually.

Now I'm an atheist, after learning heaps of Physics and Chemistry.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
haha, i've faced the same problem when i was younger. i had no choice but to go, but everytime i go, i always show how i don't like going to churce NOT because i don't believe but i get bored. i explain that i still do good stuff and remain a good person.

I always tell her:
"I know that I should go to Church mom because it's a tribute for God, but if I were god I wouldn't want to have someone sleeping where they should be praying instead. Not everyone in the Media are on TV, most of them are in the field looking for news."

EDIT: i'm still a Christian since all of my relatives are, but i'm actually an apatheist.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Based on the fact that you mention being grounded, I'm assuming you're under 18... so pretty much "tough shit", it's your parents house, you're a minor, you gotta go.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
We rarely went to church. We went around 2 or 3 times every half a year or so. My parents preferred Sunday to be my study day, and I did too, since I never had any time to do so during weekdays. I haven't gone to church in around... half a year I guess? Funny since officially, I'm Christian. (but all of my friends know I'm secular humanist, my family doesn't though)

At your problem, just live with it. Church isn't that bad (although the church we went to had this really funny priest that told somewhat satirical stories all the time). It's just an hour, no biggie. I mean, that's as big as a period of history class, which is way more boring. I guess she just wants you to be a loyal Christian, and she has authority over you so you can choose to deal with it or let her use her power.

MEGAMANTROTSKY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you believe it is worth fighting for, refuse to go to church. And if she's willing to ground you for a week because you do not attend a certain location on command, then it says far more about her than you. Resist the grounding, too, if possible; given the irrational and potentially reactionary position of religious thought, I don't think it's worth submitting to. But don't take this as a rule of thumb, for I speak here out of my own experience. In my opinion, it's highly unlikely that there is a god.

Ducky

QUACKJECTION!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iceland
i'd not go to the church a few times till they understand that grounding you isn't really bother you.

Each time they say that your grounded just go to your room.

after 2-3 times they'll look for a better way to convince you to go to church , if you keep on accepting what they offer as a punishment for not going they'll realize you clearly don't WANT to go to the church.

Thats pure human psychology for you
smile.gif

ars25

I like tacos and pie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingdomBlade said:
(although the church we went to had this really funny priest that told somewhat satirical stories all the time)..
my church priest is like that too
ot: your mom although not trying is breaking your rights as a human you actually have the rights to decide what you want to do in life it isn't our parents job to do that there job is to guide us while growing up (although moms think they can control you just because they gave birth to us) just tell her i have rights too although i am a kid teen (whatever age you are) if i don't want to go i don't have to go
my parents understand that the only time they force me is ash wends-day or any other big mass event

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to question yourself : "Should I go to this sermon? Is it any better then the other boring things in my life, like school?"

We as a community can't really say, definitively, yes or no. I would, as an individual, say you should have your own rights... But others may not say the same thing.

It all ends up as your decision.

Ravager90

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
A forced religion is a bad religion.
State your point - give your best to make them understand what bothers you the most about christ church.
I've never gone through such problems, but concerning religion, everyone has to make his own decissions, no matter if 11 or 80.
A Religion executed with force and punishment is just bound to fail. If you believe and see a point in going to church do so. If not stay away - it's that easy.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
MEGAMANTROTSKY said:
If you believe it is worth fighting for, refuse to go to church. And if she's willing to ground you for a week because you do not attend a certain location on command, then it says far more about her than you. Resist the grounding, too, if possible; given the irrational and potentially reactionary position of religious thought, I don't think it's worth submitting to. But don't take this as a rule of thumb, for I speak here out of my own experience. In my opinion, it's highly unlikely that there is a god.

He's not resenting religious thought, he does believe in God. What he resents is having to go to church even though he does not want to.

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
More to the point does forcing religion, a set career path or something similar on your child make you a bad parent?
I'd say yes, but sometimes this can have adverse effects like lax views on religion, education etc.

I believe that you should never be forced to do anything in life, if you're forced to do it you'll subconsciously rebel and never want to do it of your own accord. If you have a choice then that's a different story.

TL;DR No you should not be forced to go to church, everyone should learn to be independent at a young age and make their own choices or when they reach adulthood and get their own house, pay their own bills it will hit them like a tonne of bricks.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe some of you should actually read the original post before replying, as he states that religion is not being forced upon him, he is already a believer.

As other posters have also stated, you are a child. It is your parents' job to raise you and teach you the moral values they feel are important. It's not "cruel" that you have to do some things you don't like (protip: life is basically doing a series of things you don't want to).

Speak to her and try to explain your view point. If that doesn't work, oh well. They're providing you with the things you need to live, food, a roof over your head, clothes on your back. You owe it to her to respect that wish.

QUOTE said:
I believe that you should never be forced to do anything in life, if you're forced to do it you'll subconsciously rebel and never want to do it of your own accord. If you have a choice then that's a different story.
Except our society, the media and corporate influence promote self-indulgence and temporary gratification.

If we weren't forced to do things as kids, we wouldn't do them. Kids would drop out of school, play 18 hours of Gameboy a day, subsiding on nothing but pizza and soda. Parents are there to teach us how to survive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6rI8eXgDxd/?igsh=MWYybHY2YXoyM3I2cQ==