Shield TV Question

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Shield TV and would like to connect an external hard drive in order to play video files from it. Any good recommendations for a media player with a bookmark feature? That's part of why I like about my WD Live Hub. I can play several video files and each one is left with a bookmark from where I left off.

I have a three TB external hard drive, but am thinking about buying a second drive as a backup (with two TB's of size). So ideally the player could read without issues a two or three TB drive. Thanks.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
AFAIK most media player apps have a "Resume" feature that lets you resume any video you're watching from the point you ended, though I'm not sure of too many that lets you manually set a bookmark yourself anymore. There was one I used a while back, but I can't seem to find it anymore so it must have been discontinued.

Kodi would probably be my recommendation, since it works on Android TV, has excellent external storage support, and saves your place automatically if you stop watching a video partway through so you can resume later.

DaFixer

Dare to be stupid
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Kodi, if you index those movies files in kodi you use it for bookmark and watch history.
And with trakt add on you can save and share your watching progress online ;)
I use trakt for my 2 Kodi streamers, works great!

Last edited by DaFixer,
Reactions: linuxares

coffinbirth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Shield TV and would like to connect an external hard drive in order to play video files from it. Any good recommendations for a media player with a bookmark feature? That's part of why I like about my WD Live Hub. I can play several video files and each one is left with a bookmark from where I left off.

I have a three TB external hard drive, but am thinking about buying a second drive as a backup (with two TB's of size). So ideally the player could read without issues a two or three TB drive. Thanks.

As someone that has dealt with this before, my recommendation is to try multiple players, especially if you are attempting 4K/HDR/x265/high bitrate/>24fps content, and consider yourself lucky if you can find one that meets that criteria with smooth playback...with bookmarks being a secondary concern. If you're NOT trying to accomplish any of the aforementioned things and are simply playing back 1080p x264 or lesser content, disregard and just go with Kodi. Personally, Kodi gave me stuttering issues with the vast majority of my high bitrate 4K HDR x265 files on Shield TV.

Reactions: Prior22

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As someone that has dealt with this before, my recommendation is to try multiple players, especially if you are attempting 4K/HDR/x265/high bitrate/>24fps content, and consider yourself lucky if you can find one that meets that criteria with smooth playback...with bookmarks being a secondary concern. If you're NOT trying to accomplish any of the aforementioned things and are simply playing back 1080p x264 or lesser content, disregard and just go with Kodi. Personally, Kodi gave me stuttering issues with the vast majority of my high bitrate 4K HDR x265 files on Shield TV.

Yeah most of my files are 720p and lower quality. Should I expect any kodi issues with a drive three terabytes big? In terms of responsiveness it is really slow. Wondering how much of that is due to the drive size.

nova media player is much more smooth. Although I wish the zoom/pan feature could be auto adjusted, rather than the pre defined zoom values.

any other good recommendations?

Last edited by Prior22,

DaFixer

Dare to be stupid
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah most of my files are 720p and lower quality. Should I expect any kodi issues with a drive three terabytes big? In terms of responsiveness it is really slow. Wondering how much of that is due to the drive size.

nova media player is much more smooth. Although I wish the zoom/pan feature could be auto adjusted, rather than the pre defined zoom values.

any other good recommendations?

I use 13TB of total storage for my Kodi streamers, and never it feels that the responsiveness is slow.
I stream 1080p/4k 4~18gb rips over LAN/WiFI without a problem.

But witch Shield TV do you use?
The normal one or the TV stick model?

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use 13TB of total storage for my Kodi streamers, and never it feels that the responsiveness is slow.
I stream 1080p/4k 4~18gb rips over LAN/WiFI without a problem.

But witch Shield TV do you use?
The normal one or the TV stick model?

The standard model, not the stick.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the newer shield tv, which is what I have, can resume video files with vlc player. the vlc icon will appear at the top right iirc if a video has been played in full. I've been watching stuff with my mother these past few months. got her hooked on battlestar galactica and caprica. now, it's defiance.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up