Tutorial  Updated

Setting up Android with EmuMMC + bigger FAT32 partition.

As the title says, here's the video; I'll do a write up later since it's a long process.

This is not possible in windows 10 due to the GPT Hybrid MBR trickery used, the android image already does this when it writes the partition tables and etc.

Don't do this in windows nor attempt it, it's not going to happen unless there's something you can use to mess with partitions like I did, L4T-Ubuntu also won't work due to the partition stuff and etc, I'm currently making something to allow this without any complications, please be patient!

Watch the entire video and you'll understand more about this, if you make simple errors from not watching the video I will simply tell you to properly watch again and listen!
TOOL ETA: Don't ask, it's a complicated tool that needs a lot of maths, safety features and etc
TOOL SO FAR:
EBa_eq9XUAMnNN5

Tool functions: Android, Custom Android user data, 8GB Android install, Ubuntu, Ubuntu Swap, EmuMMC and Lakka dynamic setup.
Planned functions: Multi EmuMMC setup, EmuMMC Backup & restore(including Nintendo folder) + More unique management stuff!

UPDATE: I'm currently setting aside the tool until I finish making & releasing my new modchip

Last edited by TariqSoftDev,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Keep in mind that the Emummc partition is going to be like 32 GB. This tutorial is for getting Android on it, which has a complicated partitioning setup. I recommend you watch the video until you can understand what you are getting into. You kind of have to follow the story that has developed over this thread. There are easier methods as of late. There's a script here, mentioned recently.

Geridious4

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just make sure you back up your stuff, I'd recommend no more than 30gb for Linux and android userdata partitions just in case you want to experiment with the DC, Saturn and dolphin emulators or anything else that comes to mind

Appreciate both of your replies

Thanks for the message, yeah definitely would be using dolphin n such if possible. Though I'd like to have more games on it that otherwise wouldnt be possible so don't know if 30gb is enough to be able to do all that.

Definitely give you a message when I start the process.

Last edited by Geridious4,
Reactions: konamicode89

brak265

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all. I followed the guide and got everything working from a Linux installation on Paralelles using my MacBook. The only problem is, I am trying to get the AppStore.nro file on the sdcard, and now it is not saving files after I disconnect it. They just disappear. Also half the time I try to mount /dev/sdb1, I get a “can’t read superblock on sdb1” error until I restart the system. But nothing ever copies over. CFW and android and all still works in the switch itself. I just can’t put any files on the HOS partition. Help?

the full error I get when trying to mount that specific partition (after the initial time that it does mount) is:

“Error mounting /dev/sdb1 at /media/brak/HOS_DATA: can’t read superblock on /dev/sdb1 (udisks-error-quark, 0)”

And just to clarify, when I do get it to mount, randomly, any files I copy over, delete, or change aren’t saved if I eject and reinsert the card.

I want to say this is because I’m using a virtual machine. But I have no idea. The card reader is built into the Mac and being shared so that anything I insert is connected to the Linux VM instead of macOS. Is there no way to manage the filesystem on macOS? With my previous setup from using the standard guides (meaning without dual booting android) I could add files using macOS, but with this it doesn’t seem to show up anywhere except sporadically in my Linux VM. The dual boot is working in the switch, though. I was under the assumption that the partition with the atomosphere, switch folder, etc., was going to be the same as on normal sd card setups and I’d still be able to normally manage the files.

Last edited by brak265,

konamicode89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all. I followed the guide and got everything working from a Linux installation on Paralelles using my MacBook. The only problem is, I am trying to get the AppStore.nro file on the sdcard, and now it is not saving files after I disconnect it. They just disappear. Also half the time I try to mount /dev/sdb1, I get a “can’t read superblock on sdb1” error until I restart the system. But nothing ever copies over. CFW and android and all still works in the switch itself. I just can’t put any files on the HOS partition. Help?

the full error I get when trying to mount that specific partition (after the initial time that it does mount) is:

“Error mounting /dev/sdb1 at /media/brak/HOS_DATA: can’t read superblock on /dev/sdb1 (udisks-error-quark, 0)”

And just to clarify, when I do get it to mount, randomly, any files I copy over, delete, or change aren’t saved if I eject and reinsert the card.

I want to say this is because I’m using a virtual machine. But I have no idea. The card reader is built into the Mac and being shared so that anything I insert is connected to the Linux VM instead of macOS. Is there no way to manage the filesystem on macOS? With my previous setup from using the standard guides (meaning without dual booting android) I could add files using macOS, but with this it doesn’t seem to show up anywhere except sporadically in my Linux VM. The dual boot is working in the switch, though. I was under the assumption that the partition with the atomosphere, switch folder, etc., was going to be the same as on normal sd card setups and I’d still be able to normally manage the files.

You have to use actual Linux, the process is so much easier. If you absolutely want to try an alternative create a gparted bootable flashdrive. Though I haven't tried it myself I have to imagine it's the closest thing available to create your partitions and DD the Android and L4T Ubuntu images to said partitions while rebuilding your partition table. Sorry for the rant but you could understand the frustration having to redo your whole setup should something not work out.

To actually answer your question the best way to do file management for SD is through L4T ubuntu through using the USB on the dock. But since you don't have it I strongly encourage you to do so though you gotta redo your whole setup but I promise you it's worth it

zniel0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I had the dual boot setup but after a recent update I deleted the bootloader folder. Re added it via the atmospher and hektate update. Problem is now when I goto hektate it does not see my payloads for android nor does it see my emunand partation. is there a config file I need to put back into the bootlader? or payload file?
Basicly I need a backup file for bootloader which shows "android" under more configs since its blank now.

Last edited by zniel0,

konamicode89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I had the dual boot setup but after a recent update I deleted the bootloader folder. Re added it via the atmospher and hektate update. Problem is now when I goto hektate it does not see my payloads for android nor does it see my emunand partation. is there a config file I need to put back into the bootlader? or payload file?
Basicly I need a backup file for bootloader which shows "android" under more configs since its blank now.

Yes you have to add the files for Android to get it to show up on hekate. For emunand, I believe there is a folder separate from bootloader folder that tells hekate the location of your emunand. I know there is a menu on hekate to configurate emunand partitions but I don't recall if they were fixed to recover lost partitions. However if you have also lost the files responsible for emunand being detected on the switch then you might have to refer back to the guide you used to set up your dual-boot to see what you're missing.

Last edited by konamicode89,

Inzaghi09

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello, is there a working way for windows 10?

I want to use the drastic emulator on my switch and need Android for it. Everything else should be continued with using atmosphere.

I have got a 256gb micro sd and only need maybe 3-4 gb for android.

Can I somehow flash a 16gb image of android on my micro sd, reformat the remaining space in fat32 and put atmosphere on this partition the usual way?

lulle2007200

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
you may find a partitioning tool for windows that can do that, but you should just use linux (a vm is good enough) and dont hassle around with windows.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the...