Gaming Series-X needs a Windows Mode

Goku1992A

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's face it next generation is almost months away but it doesn't feel like next gen. If Series-X offers windows mode it would actually be the small step into the next generation into gaming. Smartphones basic functionality is calling and texting with apps but over the years smartphones have been getting more and more efficient so consoles shouldn't be any exception. This would be a good move to offer Windows Mode on the Series-X considering most of Microsoft games come on PC anyway this would be a win-win it could also bring people into PC gaming since the $500 price tag with the Series-X graphics and GPU would be feasible. This will not obviously replace dedicated gaming computers but it can open the doors into more of a hybrid system running both gaming console with multimedia and also a Windows PC experience,

If Series-X offered windows mode with the ability of accessing the graphics card and etc... just imagine the endless possibilities of emulators and etc I hope this day will happen. I actually use my Galaxy Tab S4 as a entry level netbook with Samsung Dex but imagine being able to run full windows mode with the Series-X it would be a first day purchase for me.

Rafciu

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There was some rumors about steam on series X but i personally think its to good to be true. I was always more into consoles that pc. I use PC mostly to play tactics/strategy games and some emulation. If i had opportunity to have it all in one box i go with series X for sure. With windows on xbox we can play switch and ps3 on series X ! I think series X hardware is more than enough to run these.

SagaP

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I had this conversation with a friend about the previous generation, and i argue that sony and microsoft should just sell pre-build PCs,
what i didn't see and latter understood is that Videogame Companies don't sell consoles they sell "platforms"

Les't take Sony for example:
you play games, listen to music,and watch movies, you're going to spend money on those activites, Sony wants that money going to them, so they make the walkman music player, the Bravia TV, and the Playstation console, in order for you to listen, watch, and play your content with them.

This applies not only to consumers but with content creators and publishers, a console unlike a PC is a closed environment, you control the hardware the software and who makes content for them, exclusives, anti-piracy, deals with publishers and creators, all off this plays a role and are intertwined with one another. If you what people play games in your platform this is the way to go.

As i stated before piracy also plays a roll, if one can abuse a simple web browser to execute unauthorized code on a machine, imagine having a full standard OS, everybody remembers sony patching Other OS in the PS3 that allowed booting Linux for that reason.

I take Sony just as an example, this applies to Microsoft and Nintendo as well, nintendo sells their plataform with gimicks rather than power but it's the same concept.

P.D.:I'm not trying to vilify or shame any organization, or the people that consumes their content, i love games all the same, this is just the way the industries work ring now.

Reactions: Goku1992A

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Putting Windows on a Xbox would never happen for the fact that it would open a huge hole for hacking, piracy and other vulnerabilities.
And why, exactly, would it open a huge hole for hacking/vulnerabilities (piracy is a given for PC games, of course, but not for Sexbox titles)? If this were a thing, it's not like the MS would be dumb enough to give the Windows install any kind of access to the custom OS they use for Sexbox whatsoever (which will just be custom Windows 10 kernel much like the Xboner, I assume).

Like Dev mode on the Xboner, turns the console basically into a dev kit you can do whatever UWP (with some limitations), and yet dev mode hasn't lead to any "huge holes for hacking, piracy, and other vulnerabilities" (if anything, it's one of the major reasons particular devs probably haven't bothered releasing any of the private exploits that float around, because you can already do whatever you want with an Xboner without having to worry about piracy concerns). MS could simply follow the same kind of thing, release a separate "Windows" mode that allows you to use the Sexbox as a PC, run it in a VM/Sandbox type environment to compensate for the slightly unconventional hardware it'll use (and prevent things like malware/viruses from fucking with system too hard), and that would easily bypass any kind of "huge hole" you think would exist.

But they 100% won't do that for sure, less because of hacking/piracy concerns and more because of what SagaP said: to maintain the "Xbox" platform. I mean, if you could buy a $500 console with the specs of a $1000 PC, and then were given the ability to completely ignore the software side of that console (which is where console makers make their money, not via console sales [until late in it's life when parts become cheap, anyways]), you'll get a whole heaping load of people doing exactly that with MS bleeding money along the way. You'll get people that'll say "Why buy XYZ Series X game when you can just buy the PC port off Steam or EGS and play it that way?", and MS wouldn't see a dime of that money, or at the very least would receive less than if you bought the game on their platform. They could, of course, get around all that by making the Windows OS much like Windows S Mode (which limits your OS in a ton of ways, like limiting you to MS Edge only for the browser and limiting all applications to the MS Store only), but then like Windows S absolutely no one would bother using it and it'd just flop anyways.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I doubt we’ll ever see it unless there’s an incentive e.g. reduced taxes.

MS will want to make money through games, accessories, services, etc. But if they make it useful beyond that, then it could incentivise sales to non-gamers who will be less likely to buy them, which may really be a problem if they’re making no profit/losses per unit sold.

The closest we’ll likely get is UWP apps and some kind of dev mode.

Last edited by tech3475,

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's face it next generation is almost months away but it doesn't feel like next gen. If Series-X offers windows mode it would actually be the small step into the next generation into gaming. Smartphones basic functionality is calling and texting with apps but over the years smartphones have been getting more and more efficient so consoles shouldn't be any exception. This would be a good move to offer Windows Mode on the Series-X considering most of Microsoft games come on PC anyway this would be a win-win it could also bring people into PC gaming since the $500 price tag with the Series-X graphics and GPU would be feasible. This will not obviously replace dedicated gaming computers but it can open the doors into more of a hybrid system running both gaming console with multimedia and also a Windows PC experience,

If Series-X offered windows mode with the ability of accessing the graphics card and etc... just imagine the endless possibilities of emulators and etc I hope this day will happen. I actually use my Galaxy Tab S4 as a entry level netbook with Samsung Dex but imagine being able to run full windows mode with the Series-X it would be a first day purchase for me.
if you want xbox games on windows, just build a gaming pc.

Goku1992A

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry I wasn't aware of the responses to this thread.

@Tom Bombadildo
You are right I didn't look at the software side of things.It would be nice if Microsoft offered a lower grade version of windows.

@nero99
I have a gaming laptop but unfortunately it isn't strong enough for next gen.

D

Deleted User

Putting Windows on a Xbox would never happen for the fact that it would open a huge hole for hacking, piracy and other vulnerabilities.
the xbox one literally just runs windows 10 with a custom shell and extra locked down software, it's basically an even more stripped down windows 10s

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, lol +1