Hacking Semi Briked WII. Help.

Sacohen9665

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was given a Wii from a friend of a friend.
When I turn it on I get a v.028 Pre-loader screen.

I can't get to the system menu it say no ticket found.
I can't get to The Home Brew Channel it says no title found.

The lower left corner says IOS 30 and system menu v 289 that should be 3.2U if I'm not mistaken.

The strange thing is the serial # is LU64 so I'm guessing that someone tried to downgrade the system menu and screwed something up.

I tried the wii-system-menu-update-USA-v289-repad disk, but I put it in and nothing happens.

Do I need to be able to get to HBC or the system menu for this DVD to work?

Any help would be appreciated.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
get yawmm's boot.dol, save it to the root of your drive (it can be named anything, ie. yawmm.dol), then install it as a file, then load the installed file, then load w/e patched IOS u got, prolly 250 or 249, and use it to install IOS30(IOS60P) from nus auto downloader (IOS60v6174-patched to slot 30, allowing your LU64+ wii load 3.2 SM without crashing). It is safer to do that than install IOS70 w/ 4.2SM because doing that will uninstall your preloader.

after u get to the Wii menu, then u can consider updating to 4.1 or 4.2

Sacohen9665

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks XFlak.

I'll try it when I get home today. I'm not really concerned about having a modded console.
I'm just trying to fix it for someone so they have a working Wii.

I've used NUS Auto downloader once or twice, so I'm a little unfamiliar with it.
I'll take a look at it when I'm home later and post if I have any questions before attempting it.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
He will need to reinstall the system menu (v289) to fix this, which will remove priiloader so be sure to reinstall it.

Install cIOS30
then
SM v289
then
priiloader

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
mauifrog said:
He will need to reinstall the system menu (v289) to fix this, which will remove priiloader so be sure to reinstall it.

Install cIOS30
then
SM v289
then
priiloader
no need to reinstall the system menu, the problem is IOS30 not the SM itself.

I personally don't think installing a wad manager like yawmm as a 'file' in preloader then launching it from there is as stable as launching it via the HBC, so that's why I recommend only installing cIOS30 (IOS60patched to slot30), so that if something fails, he will still be able to access preloader and try again.

Installing cIOS30 should be enough for him to get to the system menu, then from there he can use either of the stickied guides to update his softmods/firmware.

or... once he gets to the main system menu, he can launch yawmm or mmm or w/e and install SM4.1/4.2 and IOS70/80 if he wants to upgrade. After reinstalling the system menu, he would lose preloader, so then he could then take the opportunity to install Priiloader (note: not the same as preloader).

Sacohen9665

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks everyone.

As I said earlier I'm just trying to get a working console for someone. I don't really care if it is modded or not as long as it works and they can play the games they own or are going to purchase.

This person is very straight and narrow and does not really into "downloaded games".

Sacohen9665

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XFlak said:
get yawmm's boot.dol, save it to the root of your drive (it can be named anything, ie. yawmm.dol), then install it as a file, then load the installed file, then load w/e patched IOS u got, prolly 250 or 249, and use it to install IOS30(IOS60P) from nus auto downloader (IOS60v6174-patched to slot 30, allowing your LU64+ wii load 3.2 SM without crashing). It is safer to do that than install IOS70 w/ 4.2SM because doing that will uninstall your preloader.

after u get to the Wii menu, then u can consider updating to 4.1 or 4.2

The only thing I'm not clear about is the what XFlak said above.

Am I installing CIOS 30 or CIOS 60?

Do I create the wad for 60 in NUS AUto Downloader or for 30?

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Download and install this file

2e5k686.jpg

Sacohen9665

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK I did that and when installing Wad. I got an error

>>Installing Title... ERROR! (ret = -2011)

I think I did everything correct.
I tried it twice and the same thing.
I even downloaded the IOS30v2817(IOS60v6174[FS-ES-NP]).wad a second time and still the same error.

I installed it using 249,there was no option for 250

Any suggestions.

Sacohen9665

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No I'm using yawmm's boot.dol like XFlak suggested in the second post.

I just tried Wad Manager 1.7 and it does not work with a Game Cube Controller.

That's all I have since I can't get into the System menu to sync a wiimote.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sacohen9665 said:
No I'm using yawmm's boot.dol like XFlak suggested in the second post.

I just tried Wad Manager 1.7 and it does not work with a Game Cube Controller.

That's all I have since I can't get into the System menu to sync a wiimote.
Run the cIOS rev20 installer and install IOS249 with IOS38 as the base. You can do that with a GC controller. After that you should be able to use yawmm.

Sacohen9665

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gordinio said:
Run the cIOS rev20 installer and install IOS249 with IOS38 as the base. You can do that with a GC controller. After that you should be able to use yawmm.

Trying to run cIOS rev20 installer from the installed file in Pre-loader cause code dump errors.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
okay, u can try using 36, 236 if it exists

if it still doesn't work then use the file mauifrog linked to to access the HBC, then start up MMM, and use that to do an express install of a patched IOS36 (if 4 w/e reason u can't get to the HBC, start up MMM the same way u did yawmm).
alright, so i was lazy and used nusad to help me w/ the instructions below... if u want, u can be lazy too and use it to get the files u need to do the below offline... but everywhere it says to launch an app via the HBC, just launch the app whatever way u r able to launch the app (ie. installing as file or via hbc forwarder, etc.)

1) RESTORING THE TRUCHA BUG

After Starting the Homebrew Channel and use it to load Multi-Mod Manager (MMM).
In MMM, Go down to select "Install & Patch IOS36" and choose express mode.

if this fails, try installing a patched ios236 using the 4.3 method in the spoiler below

1) INSTALL IOS41v3091 USING MMM's WAD MANAGER

Launch Multi-Manager Mod via the HBC, Go down to select "WAD Manager".

Navigate to the IOS41v3091 wad and hit A twice to install only that IOS.

Move onto the next step after successfully installing the wad, but you do NOT have to exit MMM.
Press B to get back to the MMM main menu.

2) DOWNGRADE IOS15 USING Trucha Bug Restorer (TBR)

In MMM, Select 'APP Manager' - Press A
Select TBR (Trucha Bug Restorer) - Press A
(If you already exited MMM, you can launch TBR via the HBC)

In TBR, Select IOS41 - Press A
Don't be impatient, wait, read - Press 1
Select 'Downgrade IOS15' - Press A
Choose 'Load IOS from SD card' - Press A, Press A again
Press A to start the install - Press A again
Press any button to exit

Note: If you get an error similar to the example below, or a DSI error after IOS15 downgrade (bunch of 'random' letters on screen), move onto the next step of the guide (as this step may have been successful).
If the next step fails, then return to the beginning of this step.

Error Example:
Setting the revision to 0
Error: ES_AddTitleFinish returned -1017
Error: Could not set the revision to 0
Downgrade failed
Press any button to exit...

3) INSTALL A PATCHED IOS236 USING MMM

Load MMM again via the HBC
Select 'Load another IOS' - load IOS15 -press A
Select IOS Manager- Press A
Press 1, select IOS36 -Press A (install cios)
Select IOS236 - press A
Set version # to v65535 -press A
Say YES to all 4 patches, install from SD card
When finished press B to get to the MMM Main Menu

2) INSTALL WADS

If you exited MMM, reload it via the HBC, then select 'Load another IOS' -press A
Select IOS36 - press A

Note: If this step fails with error -ret 2011 or other, you may need to retry patching IOS36. If the Wii was previously softmodded, you can try using cIOS250 (or others like 202,222,223,224,236,249)

In Multi-Manager Mod's main menu, Go down to select "WAD Manager".

Install the following WADs in the WAD folder (this list of WADs is unique to how you answered the Wizard's questions).

Be careful not to install any additional wads that may have been previously saved in this folder (they may be safe, but I cannot say for sure).

iNSTALL tHIS fILE!!!
biggrin.gif

* IOS30v2817(IOS60v6174[FS-ES-NP])

If any failed, make a note of which ones and retry installing them one at time.

Note: Whenever you install a new System Menu, Priiloader is uninstalled. So be sure to reinstall it afterwards (especially if you do not have bootmii as boot2)

edit:
this also may come in handy for ur situation if u run into problems launching apps BootMiiBooter

Sacohen9665

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not having good luck so far.

I can boot any of the programs loaded as a file in Pre-Loader, but when I try to access the SD card from with in any program MMM, Yamm or BootMiiBooter, the card can not be seen even thought it was just read to install the program as a file.

Help.

Thank for ever thing so far.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Extract bootmii booter to sd:\
Then extract MMM_CB2.zip to sd:\
Extract cIOS60-v6174.zip to sd:\wad
Extract (4.1u)-System Menu-NUS-v449.zip to sd:\wad
Extract priiloader 0.4 to sd:\apps
Extract 4.x-hacks.ini.zip to sd:\
Hold reset, boot the wii, preloader loads
Click load/install, install bootmii_booter.dol
Load the installed file (bootmii booter), MMM loads
Select Wad Manager, press 1, install all wads
Press B two times, main menu
Select App Manager, select priiloader
Install with +/a or hold B and press +/A

Sacohen9665

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried what you wrote above and when I launch the installed file (BootMii Booter) it brings up a screen that syas loading Bootmii..

and it just sits there. I left it for 10 min and no changes.

When I install MMM into the installed slot in Pre-loader and then launch it I see the menu to choose App Manager, IOS Manager, Wad Manger and so on. When I go down to Wad Manager I see an error at the bottom left of the screenthat says error mounting device: SD then it brings me to a screen to select my storage deviceIt's strange the system will see the SD slot in Pre-loader (to install a file or the goto the hacks list) but it won't see it from any other program once Pre-loader launches it.

Mauifrog I wasgoing to try the thing you posted on Wiihacks, before I say thatyou posted a slightly different one here, so I tried this one, but still I can't see the SD slot from within a program, or if I can (like from Yamm) it fails on the load of the file.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Strange. Can you try putting the wads on a usb stick? Perhaps try another sd card. In MMM, select load another ios, use ios250, see if that helps. If your wii is online you should be able to install from NUS.

The bootmii booter failed because you don't seem to have bootmii installed, or the booter also can not read your sd-card.

Running the hackmii installer and attempting a boot2/ios bootmii install is not a horrible idea.

You could try to update from disk via a disk loader from HBC, but I don't think the update can run from outside the SM.

Not sure if reinstalling priiloader would help with the missing title or not, but if everything else fails you could give it a go.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: China is actually sinking. And Flooding