SEGA reveals the Mega Drive Mini 2, will feature SEGA CD games

A handful of years ago, SEGA released a miniaturized version of its classic Mega Drive, packing in some fan-favorite games that gamers loved from that era of gaming. Three years later, and they're ready to improve upon that, by releasing the Mega Drive Mini 2. Stylized just like the second variant of the Mega Drive, the mini version will offer Sega CD games as well. The throwback console was revealed during a livestream from Sega of Japan, and has no western release confirmed for now. It'll release on October 27th, and will retail for about $75 (¥9,980). The confirmed games are as follows:

Silpheed (SEGA CD)
Shining Force CD (SEGA CD)
Mansion of Hidden Souls (SEGA CD)
Sonic CD (SEGA CD)
Popful Mail (SEGA CD)
Virtua Racing (Mega Drive)
Bonanza Bros (Mega Drive)
Shining in the Darkness (Mega Drive)
Thunder Force IV (Mega Drive)
Magical Taruto (Mega Drive)
Fantasy Zone (new Mega Drive release)

Notable among these titles is Fantasy Zone, which never actually released for the Mega Drive itself. According to the livestream, this version of the game is a brand new port, and is based on Super Fantasy Zone, which did release on the Mega Drive in 1992.

SonicRings

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do you want Sega to make good quality games or not. How bout you stfu and stop complaining about mundane shit.
No need to protect your cute wittle corporation like this. The only thing that does is make you look like a sega consoomer shill.
Yes, I want SEGA Sega to make good quality games. I also don't want them to insert countless malpractices in said games. This isn't mundane. This is very serious and you should care about it.

Let me repeat: the game has
1) Denuvo on 30-year-old games
2) Day-1 DLC
3) Pre-order DLC
4) ...Whatever the hell this chart is
dSB78ls.png

5) Delisting the original games
6) High asking price
7) No regional pricing

All they had to do was release Sonic Origins and all would have been well.

Last edited by SonicRings,

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Regardless if this device ever releases in the US, it's a hard pass for me. Let me know when Sega decides to release a Dreamcast mini :rofl2:

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No need to protect your cute wittle corporation like this. The only thing that does is make you like a sega consoomer shill.
Yes, I want SEGA Sega to make good quality games. I also don't want them to insert countless malpractices in said games.

2) Day-1 DLC
3) Pre-order DLC
dSB78ls.png

6) High asking price
7) No regional pricing

I have pac bunny on my ignore list. :P. You do make some valid points, but I preordered it for the ps5 considering sonic 1 holds a special place in my heart

SonicRings

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have pac bunny on my ignore list. :P. You do make some valid points, but I preordered it for the ps5 considering sonic 1 holds a special place in my heart
At least you don't have denuvo on your console version. Hope you enjoy! I'll definitely wait until a considerable sale before I decide to support this game. That, or a physical version.

IceBr8kr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

A handful of years ago, SEGA released a miniaturized version of its classic Mega Drive, packing in some fan-favorite games that gamers loved from that era of gaming. Three years later, and they're ready to improve upon that, by releasing the Mega Drive Mini 2. Stylized just like the second variant of the Mega Drive, the mini version will offer Sega CD games as well. The throwback console was revealed during a livestream from Sega of Japan, and has no western release confirmed for now. It'll release on October 27th, and will retail for about $75 (¥9,980). The confirmed games are as follows:

Silpheed (SEGA CD)
Shining Force CD (SEGA CD)
Mansion of Hidden Souls (SEGA CD)
Sonic CD (SEGA CD)
Popful Mail (SEGA CD)
Virtua Racing (Mega Drive)
Bonanza Bros (Mega Drive)
Shining in the Darkness (Mega Drive)
Thunder Force IV (Mega Drive)
Magical Taruto (Mega Drive)
Fantasy Zone (new Mega Drive release)

Notable among these titles is Fantasy Zone, which never actually released for the Mega Drive itself. According to the livestream, this version of the game is a brand new port, and is based on Super Fantasy Zone, which did release on the Mega Drive in 1992.

You know all 3 Sonic CD fans are jumping up and down

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No need to protect your cute wittle corporation like this. The only thing that does is make you look like a sega consoomer shill.
Yes, I want SEGA Sega to make good quality games. I also don't want them to insert countless malpractices in said games. This isn't mundane. This is very serious and you should care about it.

2) Day-1 DLC
3) Pre-order DLC
dSB78ls.png

6) High asking price
7) No regional pricing

1) Doesn't matter, it will be cracked just like every other Failnuvo title.
2) Doesn't matter, more on that below.
3) Also won't matter, for the same reason as below.
4-7) Still doesn't matter, for the reason that will be listed clearly following this line.

The chances are the majority of those complaining weren't going to buy this and they will end up torrenting or downloading it from Fitgirl just like any other repacked Failnuvo title. The older titles should be expected to show up on GOG in a few months anyway just like any other delisted or unpopular Steam game.

Complaining about games being delisted on Steam is pointless, there's no way anyone was on the fence about buying the older Sonic 123 or CD titles. Anyone that wanted them already has them and anyone that doesn't probably wasn't interested in them to begin with.

TLDR: Getting that worked up over a game you weren't going to buy doesn't make much sense. This release is for Gen Z/Alpha gamers that might not know anything about classic Sonic, not nostalgic Gen X/Xennials/Millennials that have already had the chance and played these to death.

Last edited by raging_chaos,

SonicRings

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1) Doesn't matter, it will be cracked just like every other Failnuvo title.
2) Doesn't matter, more on that below.
3) Also won't matter, for the same reason as below.
4-7) Still doesn't matter, for the reason that will be listed clearly following this line.

The chances are the majority of those complaining weren't going to buy this and they will end up torrenting or downloading it from Fitgirl just like any other repacked Failnuvo title. The older titles should be expected to show up on GOG in a few months anyway just like any other delisted or unpopular Steam game.

Complaining about games being delisted on Steam is pointless, there's no way anyone was on the fence about buying the older Sonic 123 or CD titles. Anyone that wanted them already has them and anyone that doesn't probably wasn't interested in them to begin with.

TLDR: Getting that worked up over a game you weren't going to buy doesn't make much sense. This release is for Gen Z/Alpha gamers that might not know anything about classic Sonic, not nostalgic Gen X/Xennials/Millennials that have already had the chance and played these to death.
The consoomers sure are coming out of the woodwork to defend such blatant malpractices. Sega doesn't need you defending them: they're a megacorp, they can look after themselves.

Please don't make stupid assumptions. I was 100% going to buy the game before these issues came to light. I own every Sonic game on Steam, after all. I pre-ordered Sonic Mania a year before release date, but was burned when they delayed the PC version for 2 weeks just to add Denuvo, which wasn't even implemented properly and thus didn't work offline at all. They made it work offline for up to 2 weeks without an internet connection a few days later, but it wasn't until Denuvo was removed before it was playable offline indefinitely.

Ever since, I have been weary on purchasing titles that include Denuvo, especially for offline single-player games where an internet connection should not be required to play. Also not sure why you're so confident these games will make their way to GOG? Don't get me wrong, that would be wonderful. But please don't pull stuff out of thin air here. If you have a source, provide it.

And how can you say the lack of regional pricing doesn't matter? You do realize there are more countries than the USA in the world?? The price of the game is disproportionately more expensive in every other country compared to other games that have been adjusted for regional pricing based on their storefronts' recommendations. Sega are IGNORING said recommendation and charging other countries MORE for the same game. The game literally costs more than other new AAA games in many countries as a result.

A Hat in Time is $30 USD, and $33 CAD. If you were to convert the USD to CAD, you'd actually get $38.50 CAD. That's because that game is adjusted for regional pricing based on Steam's recommendation. Almost every game, especially from a large publisher such as Sega, follows these recommendations, but Sega recently refused to follow them. Even their older games, like Sonic Mania, drastically shot up in price a couple months ago. This is not okay.

But I digress.

1) Matters. Piracy shouldn't be an excuse for a company's malpractices.
2-7) All matter, for the reasons stated above. Also, don't pretend that the delisting is only happening on Steam. It's happening on every platform minus Switch and Mobile.

I was looking forward to this game more than anything. It's because of all these malpractices, however, that I will not be supporting it. If you want to support it despite all these flaws, then go ahead. It's your money. But don't spread lies, belittle others and excuse Sega's actions. You are hurting everyone including yourself, the consumer, in doing so.

Last edited by SonicRings,

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The original Sega CD version of Sonic CD hasn't really had a rerelease before this machine, has it? Now we can all watch those cutscenes in glorious bitcrunched quality.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sorry, but I don't think you should be supporting the same company who delisted the classic Sonic games from online platforms an entire month before the release of Sonic Origins, which itself is going to have Denuvo, day 1 DLC, pre-order dlc, an abhorrent pre-order DLC chart that doesn't even make sense, a high price tag, and non-existent regional pricing.

They want our money? Sell us the games we want. Allow us to purchase the originals. Show faith in their remaster (Origins) by allowing the originals to stay up.
That's a massive overreaction - considering that those games have been made available an almost uncountable number of times on pretty much every system in existence with varying degrees of copy protection... and they're mostly all still available on the pre-owned market to anyone that wants them. Even on current gen, you can pick up the PS4/Xbone disk for Genesis Collection for peanuts and they're playable on PS5/SeriesX.

IKR - How dare a company dare to dictate how it can make money from the property it owns??

Reactions: raging_chaos

SonicRings

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's a massive overreaction - considering that those games have been made available an almost uncountable number of times on pretty much every system in existence with varying degrees of copy protection... and they're mostly all still available on the pre-owned market to anyone that wants them. Even on current gen, you can pick up the PS4/Xbone disk for Genesis Collection for peanuts and they're playable on PS5/SeriesX.

IKR - How dare a company dare to dictate how it can make money from the property it owns??
They have no faith in origins and are therefore taking options away to force people to buy it, even if all they want is one of the games included in it. That's obvious to see. Stop giving these corporations a free pass. You aren't doing yourself any favours.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They have no faith in origins and are therefore taking options away to force people to buy it, even if all they want is one of the games included in it. That's obvious to see. Stop giving these corporations a free pass. You aren't doing yourself any favours.
They're hardly forcing anyone to buy it... and for anyone that only wants one of the included games, I imagine, for the most part, those people would skip it entirely and just hunt down that one game in any of the numerous releases it's already had... so, if anything, they're losing a sale rather than forcing one.

Plus, Sega is hardly the mega-corp you paint it to be - they're not even in the top 10 game companies.

Not sure why we're discussing the woes of one sonic fanboy (and not even a console sonic fanboy) in a thread about a 'mini' device... and IDGAF about Sonic anyway; I own all the original Megadrive carts + Sonic CD as well as several of the rereleases/collections and lesser releases on other systems, and TBH IMO beyond Green Hill Zone in the original, they're massively overrated until you get to Sonic Mania.

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i am getting the feeling that game programmers are loosing the skill to read old code (like from 10 years ago).
so when boss comes with "quickly port this game",
the programmer goes "sorry unportable"
boss: then re-write with DLC and NFT

SonicRings

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They're hardly forcing anyone to buy it... and for anyone that only wants one of the included games, I imagine, for the most part, those people would skip it entirely and just hunt down that one game in any of the numerous releases it's already had... so, if anything, they're losing a sale rather than forcing one.

Plus, Sega is hardly the mega-corp you paint it to be - they're not even in the top 10 game companies.

Not sure why we're discussing the woes of one sonic fanboy (and not even a console sonic fanboy) in a thread about a 'mini' device... and IDGAF about Sonic anyway; I own all the original Megadrive carts + Sonic CD as well as several of the rereleases/collections and lesser releases on other systems, and TBH IMO beyond Green Hill Zone in the original, they're massively overrated until you get to Sonic Mania.
I'm dispelling blind fanboyism. Sega is digging their own grave: let them die in it. Blindly supporting them will only encourage their behaviour.

As for sonic cd, there's no way to get that now outside of mobile. The older versions you're thinking of are the non-taxman ports which aren't widescreen.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm dispelling blind fanboyism. Sega is digging their own grave: let them die in it. Blindly supporting them will only encourage their behaviour.

As for sonic cd, there's no way to get that now outside of mobile. The older versions you're thinking of are the non-taxman ports which aren't widescreen.
The old versions I'm thinking of are the original releases... the only ones that matter... and are the CORRECT 4:3 aspect ratio.

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The consoomers sure are coming... ( followed by a BUNCH OF NONSENSE).

Completely irrelevant. Your argument boils down to whatever opinion it is that you are parroting after reading it online and you can't even get that right. No one cares if you own the previous Steam versions. No one cares about your perceived intrinsic value of these games. You might not have heard this before, but the world does not revolve around you and your needs.

In the 90s these games were $59.00 MSRP each for Sonic 1 and 2. CD was $49.00 MSRP. Sonic 3 and the Knuckles lock-on cart were $69.00 MSRP each. Stores were then free to charge a markup on top of that. Adjusted for inflation that's over $600 today. The only other time a native port of Sonic 1-3+K has been released was Sonic Jam for the Sega Saturn. That compilation featured Sonic World as its bonus, was also $49.99, and didn't even include Sonic CD. This collection costs $49.99 with extras, it's a steal compared to the total we had to pay for these games back in the 90s.

If you choose to play on an open gaming platform that requires anti-piracy software to run in the background that's your fault for choosing to play on that platform. Either buy a dedicated gaming system and don't play on PC or give up gaming entirely. Regardless of which you choose, no one here on gbatemp should have to read your pointless Denuvo rants in a Mega Drive Mini 2 thread.

Last edited by raging_chaos,
  • Love
Reactions: duwen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto