Sega Megadrive (Genesis) Flashback Mini HD with an USB on internal mother board

Beetch18

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I made some .bats to dump,remove, and upload the genesis and gg/sms save states. I tested them and they worked but like always use at your own risk, I have the 2GB non-obb version so I don't know if the folders are structured the same for the different versions. Also this is for the save states only, the ram saves are located on the internal sd card and I couldn't find a way to pull just the .savs, you can pull the entire directory but it will also contain the folder for all the roms you added as well but both the genesis and gg/sms ram saves get stored there in .sav format. I wasn't able to get the .savs or the the save states to work on md.emu but I'm going to try a couple retroarch emulators tonight.

I don't know how much use this will be for people but it will allow you to back up your save states. Also I was able to interchange the save states for roms loaded on the console and cartridge loaded games by renaming them, I only tried this with Streets of Rage and Streets of Rage 2 so this might not work for all games especially if the rom is a revision. There are .png files for each save state which makes finding the cartridge loaded save states easier since they are basically just numbers for example my streets of rage 2 save state was "rom-9409.sta.0"

Also on a side note I would really like to be able to add button combinations in the game descriptions like "A+B" or "Down+A", unfortunately atgames only included a handful like "Up+C", "Dpad+B" which we're used for the included games. I saw the included button combinations in a couple of the .smali files but was wondering if it's possible to add more by editing these files.

Can you use this tool to "delete" all the used save states from the system? In other words once running the tool you would have 10 free (blank) save states to use for each game again. Thank you.

Reactions: Nils

tguk611

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you use this tool to "delete" all the used save states from the system? In other words once running the tool you would have 10 free (blank) save states to use for each game again. Thank you.
Yes it will delete all the saved states for the system and make all 10 blank for all genesis games or all game gear/master system games depending on which .bat you use, if you only want to delete certain saved states first use the remover bat then place all the ones you want in the upload folder and use the uploader bat. Also I have the 2gb non-obb version so I'd run just the dumper .bat first to make sure your pulling the right files, the actual save states are .sta0-9 as well as .pngs for each saved state there shouldn't be any other type of files in the dump folder.

Beetch18

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it will delete all the saved states for the system and make all 10 blank for all genesis games or all game gear/master system games depending on which .bat you use, if you only want to delete certain saved states first use the remover bat then place all the ones you want in the upload folder and use the uploader bat. Also I have the 2gb non-obb version so I'd run just the dumper .bat first to make sure your pulling the right files, the actual save states are .sta0-9 as well as .pngs for each saved state there shouldn't be any other type of files in the dump folder.
Awesome. Thanks so much! Next stupid question, how do I use them? Where do I run them from? Also, what is the difference between he dumper and remover? The dumper pulls the files and also leaves them on the system and the remover removes them from the system completely?

Last edited by Beetch18,

tguk611

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome. Thanks so much! Next stupid question, how do I use them? Where do I run them from? Also, what is the difference between he dumper and remover? The dumper pulls the files and also leaves them on the system and the remover removes them from the system completely?
You can run them from anywhere you extract the zip to and to use all you have to do is click on the .bat file you want to use and make sure the console shown under "list of devices attached" then just follow the instructions; the dumper and uploader need only one key press while the remover needs 2 one to dump the files and another to actually remove them. And yes the dumper will dump the save states for your genesis games or game gear/master system games depending on which .bat you use and the remover will dump the games and remove them from the system entirely.

Reactions: Nils and Beetch18

Nils

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Thank you tguk611 for all the useful information! :grog:

And c'mon guys... stop asking Hekel every few days about RetroShield. I'm sure he's working on it and I sure want it as bad as you but of course it takes time to make it perfect. Nobody wants a buggy beta version, right? :wacko:

Last edited by Nils,
Reactions: tguk611 and Hekel

Nitr0genkitty

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Good day everyone! I'm looking to keep everything stock on my flashback (the atgames launcher, without having to choose the rom through retroarch) except switch out atgame's emulator with retroarch's in hopes of eliminating atgame's freezing issues. Does anyone have any thoughts on the most straight forward way to do this?

Yous have done fantastic work!

Hekel

Modding is my passion!
Trophies
Website
www.evercade.net
XP
Country
Switzerland
Good day everyone! I'm looking to keep everything stock on my flashback (the atgames launcher, without having to choose the rom through retroarch) except switch out atgame's emulator with retroarch's in hopes of eliminating atgame's freezing issues. Does anyone have any thoughts on the most straight forward way to do this?

Yous have done fantastic work!
Currently were not able to replace the emulator from the at@game launcher, and its not really something that i would recomend as its a very buggy dashboard / frontend.

tguk611

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know how much this will help anyone but I forgot to post that you CAN use your sega flashback sram saves on retroarch, md.emu(android), or the retron 5/retrofreak but you kinda have to jump through hoops(interleave/uninterleave and truncate/pad the files) but I'll list ways to do this. These are for Genesis SRAM saves only.

I'll be using 010 editor in these steps so you'll need to download it to follow along.

So to get a Flashback HD save converted to use with retroarch take your .sav file and open it in 010 Editor.
1.Now we need to make a file the same size as our .sav filled with all "FF"'s in the hex editor, so if we have an 8kb .sav we need to make an 8kb file and fill it with all "FF"'s, I would save this file if you plan on converting multiple saves.
2.Now we need to interleave the files together so click on "scripts" then "binary" then "interleave" and choose the file with all the "FF"'s FIRST then choose your .sav file next. You should get a prompt asking for the size of each element, just leave it as 1 and click ok. If the scripts aren't preinstalled click on "scripts" then "repository" and install them.
3. Just save the file the name of your rom but make sure the extension is .srm and NOT .sav. You can now use it with retroarch.

To go from Flashback HD to MD.emu just do the steps above but you'll need to pad the file to 64kb. You can either pad this youself or you can you use the .bat I've created and attached below. To use the .bat just place the .srm file in the "Trunch.exe" folder and click the "to MD.emu(64KB).bat", this will pad the file and change the extension to the correct one if it wasn't.

To go from Flashback HD to retron 5/retroarch just do the steps to get a retroarch .srm file and use the retron 5 save converter(just google it).

Now to use your retroarch sram save to use on Sega Flashback HD you'll need to uninterleave the file, thankfully the 010 editor has a script that automates this
1.First open your retroarch .srm in the 010 editor then click "scripts" then "binary" then "uninterleave". If the scripts aren't preinstalled click on "scripts" then "repository" and install them
2.You'll need to name 2 files, name the first one whatever you want as you won't be needing it, name the second file the name of your rom and give it a ".sav" extension this will be the file you need to put back onto your Sega Flashback. You should get a prompt asking for the size of each element, just leave it as 1 and click ok. Now you can put the .sav file back on your Flashback HD.

To go from MD.emu to Flashback HD you need follow the steps above and uninterleave the file. Since all the saves in MD.emu are 64kb you'll still have a 32kb save file I'm pretty sure you need to truncate the file but I'm not positive since I did this awhile ago. Anyway I've added a .bat file to make this easier which will take any file down to 8kb and add the correct extension if it wasn't added. Just take your 32kb uninterleaved .srm file and place it in the "trunc.exe" folder and click the "to Flashback HD(8KB).bat". I'm pretty sure most Flashback srm saves are 8kb so it should work with most saves.

To go from retron 5/retrofreak to Sega Flashback you first need to take the .sav and use the retron 5 save converter(google it) to get a retroarch style .srm save. Now just use the steps above to uninterleave the retroarch .srm to get a Sega Flashback .sav.

I'm not sure how many people can use this info since it's not that easy to convert the saves but it's a good way to transfer a retroarch sram save to a cartridge since the Flashback HD does have a cartridge slot. I'm not great at writing tutorials so if anyone has any questions or needs clarification on something just let me know.

Also you don't need to do anything to Master System or Game Gear to use with other emulators except for changing the extension or using the retron 5 converter to use with a retron 5/retrofreak.

Attachments

• Trunc.exe.rar
    3.5 KB · Views: 118
Reactions: Hekel

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello, citizens of the gbatemp!
i got locked out of my old account a few months ago due to getting locked out of my old outlook account. I hope it is ok by the admins that i made a new account. I was just wondering if some of the old timers that were working on this are still around. I managed to due some neat extra tricks with this device and i was wondering if @asper and @Hekel had discovered anything new on their end as well.

Reactions: fixingmytoys

fixingmytoys

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
hello, citizens of the gbatemp!
i got locked out of my old account a few months ago due to getting locked out of my old outlook account. I hope it is ok by the admins that i made a new account. I was just wondering if some of the old timers that were working on this are still around. I managed to due some neat extra tricks with this device and i was wondering if @asper and @Hekel had discovered anything new on their end as well.
have you emailed a admin. i pretty sure they can help , they helped me with my account and welcome back:)

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
have you emailed a admin. i pretty sure they can help , they helped me with my account and welcome back:)
The problem is that i cannot PM anybody until i have 10 posts so that may take a little bit. Still i hope they do not mind that i made an alternate one to access the site again.
thank you saying hi as well :)

fixingmytoys

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The problem is that i cannot PM anybody until i have 10 posts so that may take a little bit. Still i hope they do not mind that i made an alternate one to access the site again.
thank you saying hi as well :)
well from my count that's now 2 posts lol
have you tried messaging them on the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/GBAtemp/

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to refresh my memory, which exploits did you make for the Genesis Flashback? I've got mine running the hack with the two anime girls on it (and to be honest, I'd like to change that theme). Someone else supplied me with a version of MD.emu, and it's definitely better than the default.

I also did the USB power hack. Man, those are some TINY soldering points. Starts to feel like microsurgery, you know? However, it's nice to be able to plug in whatever controllers I like. I'd like to do the same for my Atari Flashback, but I'm gonna need a spare USB female connector first.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7iLZ35NrQt/?igsh=MWd2Z3U0dmNlMmNxcw==