Sega Mega Drive 480p/60HZ?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by B.alpha, Apr 21, 2009.

Apr 21, 2009

Sega Mega Drive 480p/60HZ? by B.alpha at 6:06 PM (1,409 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. B.alpha
    OP

Newcomer B.alpha Advanced Member

Germany
    Hi, I've got a pal Wii, with the Firmeware 3.3, I bought Sonic 1 on Virtual Console but it's so damned slow, is possible to Modify the Wad so that the Games runs at 480p/60HZ?

2. lakaiskateboarding

Member lakaiskateboarding GBAtemp Regular

Download the American Wad. I think it is also possible to just modify them, but I am not sure.

3. Tetsuo Shima

Member Tetsuo Shima GBAtemp Fan

Italy
    If your TV supports NTSC yes, you can dl the USA wad and play it with region free channels hacks (starfall for example). Otherwise you will see everything in Black & White (not nice).
    If that's the case the Genesis Emulator may be a better choice, it runs at 60Hz full speed and doesn't waste precious space on your NAND. [​IMG]

4. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    yeah that's one of those old games that suffer from the pal slowdown
    it was like that on the original pal mega drive, it's too bad they didn't fix it for the vc release

you might just want to use the homebrew emulator, it can run the game at full original speed.

5. linkinworm

Member linkinworm GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    mod what wad? nintendo doesnt send you wads i think someone is telling fibs about useing the VC shop....

6. B.alpha
    OP

Germany
    I've got a HDTV so usally it should support NTSC
    If I use Starfall will it set the whole Console to NTSC or only the NTSC Wad?

@linkinworm
    the thing is bought the game once, but i got also some wads like Sonic 3 & Knuckles which aren't available on Virtual Console. And I don't have a problem with buying game if there are good ported, but once I bought Sonic I thought why should i buy more Sega Mega Drive titles if they don't give me the same experience like the old game does.

7. stev418

Member stev418 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    All genesis/megadrive VC will play at 50hz on a PAL wii, doesnt matter if the wad is NTSC or PAL. If you actually have a look at the recent genesis/megadrive wads you will see that the 00000001.app (main.dol/emulator file) is now actually identical for both NTSC and PAL, so there isnt such a thing as a '60hz genesis wad' If you install it on a PAL wii it will play in 50hz, if you install on an NTSC wii it will play in 60hz.

The only way to get around it is if you have 3.2 and use starfall to swap the actual VIDEO MODE of the wii from PAL to NTSC

8. B.alpha
    OP

Germany
    And is it possible to configure Starfall so, that the Video Mode will only Changed on Sonic?

9. Tetsuo Shima

Member Tetsuo Shima GBAtemp Fan

Italy
    No, in Starfall you can enable region free channels/wii games/gc games and set the video mode of your console, among other things.
    There's no way to change the video mode for just one game.
    That's why I completely ignore Genesis games on virtual console, the Genesis Plus emulator is far, far better.
    Pros:
    - play games at 60 Hz full speed
    - play every game, not just VC releases
    - free space on your wii menu
    - auto load/save sram (like VC suspend feature)
    Cons:
    - none, really ^^