Sealed copy of Pokemon Yellow graded A+ allegedly destroyed by US Customs

1674495120199.png

Stephen Kick, who runs under the username of @pripyatbeast, posted on Twitter an image of a received package after being handled by customs. The package was supposed to be an encased sealed copy of Pokemon Yellow, graded A+ with a score of 9.2 by Wata Games with an alleged worth of around $3'800 dollars, but instead, the owner got a broken acrylic case, with a mangled seal and sliced box of Pokemon Yellow.

The highest rated Pokemon Yellow game is also an A+, but with a score of 9.4, which is currently going up for around $10'500 dollars in price.
While the morality and legality of sealed copies of widely available games as Pokemon Yellow is highly questionable and up for debate, and regardless of its alleged worth, it's always heartbreaking to see something you ordering getting destroyed in shipping or customs.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
In all fairness, the entire grading system is a scam. There is no additional value in having a sealed copy of anything. In fact, in the case of many products it is *detrimental* from a preservationist standpoint (built-in batteries, capacitor plague-era products, suicide PCB’s and so on).

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
US Customs is a joke, but I really don't feel sorry for anyone who thinks spending thousands of dollars on a game is a smart play. Dunno.. I have a disdain toward "collectors" I guess?

I mean, if I buy a game, having a complete setup would be great! However, I do not see the appeal of throwing money at something so shallow as this grading system... Even less for something graded by a shithole company like Wata...

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
In all fairness, the entire grading system is a scam. There is no additional value in having a sealed copy of anything. In fact, in the case of many products it is *detrimental* from a preservationist standpoint (built-in batteries, capacitor plague-era products, suicide PCB’s and so on).
I agree but I think the point is exactly to speculate on it, not to preserve it necessarily. Rather the value their preserving is the OG unboxing experience. It isn't a pratical thing to preserve but since it can only be done once, it values up.

That said, did GBA Gameboy games even had a seal? I don't think I ever bought a GBA Gameboy game with a seal.

Last edited by pustal,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I agree but I think the point is exactly to speculate on it, not to preserve it necessarily. Rather the value their preserving is the OG unboxing experience. It isn't a preatical thing to preserve but since it can only be done once, it values up.

That said, did GBA games even had a seal? I don't think I ever bought a GBA game with a seal.
Now that you mention it, I don't think they did...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over