Gaming SDHC Cards...how fast should they be to run games/applications?

Raki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
heya...I'm going to get a eeePC soon, so I started looking out what SDHC cards would be good and came about acess speed

I'm going to run games and maybe applications from this so I'm really wondering...how fast should they be?

I tested my cards/usb sticks I got with HDTune and got some funny results:

MicroSDHC (8GB Class 6): 17-18 MB/s
M2 Memory stick (8GB): 8 MB/s
MiniSD/MicroSD (2 GB, Taiwan/China made): 8 MB/s
a old 256 MB USB stick : 1 MB/s xD

Would a Class 4 SDHC (probably 16 GB) card be enough to run games? My class 6 8 GB microSDHC did quite a good job here (the word 'ultra' on it serves it right it seems)

DarkRey

still transfoooorming.... with sum lags!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Croatia
huh.gif
why dont install the games on ur hard drive rather than on ur microsd?
or with that money buy an external harddrive!!
never use microsd as a harddrive is not worth it

hope no one make a topic asking how to install vista on a microsd!!
rofl.gif

Raki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
DarkRey said:
huh.gif

rofl.gif

the SSD of a eeePC 701 4G is just 4 GB big
wink.gif
+ a external HDD isn't that small as a SDHC card

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DarkRey said:
huh.gif

rofl.gif

...you don't have any idea what the OP's situation is, do you? He's not even talking about using a MicroSD card...

On topic: I can't really help but I guess you can just google around for tests that people have run on SDHC card speeds....
What games are you planning on running anyway?

Raki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
strata8 said:
Here's a good topic:
http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=4446

Maybe you should consider a USB flash drive? They're cheaper as well. The maximum speed of USB 2.0 is 480Mbit/s. Not sure how fast that is in MB though.

60 MByte / s

(Bit /8 =Byte
smile.gif
)

yeah but flashdrives stick out often and I had problems with very cheap made ones with crappy speeds :/

and I'm planning on running older games like WC3, Stronghold Crusader, CS 1.6, maybe a bit Lineage 2 or so

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Raki said:
strata8 said:
Here's a good topic:

Maybe you should consider a USB flash drive? They're cheaper as well. The maximum speed of USB 2.0 is 480Mbit/s. Not sure how fast that is in MB though.

60 MByte / s

(Bit /8 =Byte
smile.gif
)

yeah but flashdrives stick out often and I had problems with very cheap made ones with crappy speeds :/

and I'm planning on running older games like WC3, Stronghold Crusader, CS 1.6, maybe a bit Lineage 2 or so

...I don't think CS 1.6 would even run on an eeePC because of its base specs to begin with...

Raki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Mewgia said:
Raki said:
strata8 said:
Here's a good topic:

60 MByte / s

(Bit /8 =Byte
smile.gif
)

...I don't think CS 1.6 would even run on an eeePC because of its base specs to begin with...

It runs very well on my701...the eeePC may look weak but its performance is quite good

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Raki said:
Mewgia said:
Raki said:
strata8 said:
Here's a good topic:

60 MByte / s

(Bit /8 =Byte
smile.gif
)

It runs very well on my701...the eeePC may look weak but its performance is quite good
really? That's good to know..I love CS and will probably get an eeePC sometime within the year...

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Hey im writing this now off my ASUS eee 701 2gb surf, after instaling windows to it I dont have much space for applications so I run everything exclusively off my 16gb class 4 card! Works great for most things, even GTA 3, Quake 2 and my snes emu run great off it! So yeah a class 4 works great for program files!

Hope that helps!
yaypsp.gif

Raki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Mewgia said:
really? That's good to know..I love CS and will probably get an eeePC sometime within the year...

Even WC 3 TFT is running great on mid settings @630 mhz processor
WoW runs decent on low settings (just shows me 8-17 FPS while running etc. on my stock eeePC but I think it's quite lagfree)

and the whole thing loads up windows XP in around 30 seconds
smile.gif

QUOTE(p1ngpong @ Sep 4 2008, 08:30 AM) Hey im writing this now off my ASUS eee 701 2gb surf, after instaling windows to it I dont have much space for applications so I run everything exclusively off my 16gb class 4 card! Works great for most things, even GTA 3, Quake 2 and my snes emu run great off it! So yeah a class 4 works great for program files!

Hope that helps!
yaypsp.gif

hey thanks for that info! could you may run a speedtest on "HDtune" and post your results? Thanks in advance

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
So used that HDtune program to test my SDHC speed and it came in at a very steady 14.3 MB/sec minimum 15.0 MB/sec maximum transfer rate with an access time of 1.2ms, interestingly the onboard solid state HDD scored a minimum of 5.2 MB/sec and maximum of 28.4 MB/ sec with an access time of 0.5 ms!

yaypsp.gif

Raki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
bangbanger said:
Maybe wait for Dell's solution of a competitor of the eeePC? Should be out soon.

I've already a eeePC...and I guess Dell's solution will be more expensive than the 701s are now :l

Thanks for the results...even the Ultra II of Sandisk just promise 15 MB/s lol...maybe I'll find a cheap 16 GB Class 4 deal tomorrow in the mall

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: now i'm not gay, but hear me out