sdcard as ps2 memory card?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by slitherin96, Nov 15, 2015.

1. slitherin96
    OP

slitherin96 Member

Newcomer
    May 22, 2014
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    now, i'm no tech god, but i can solder an old sd card to the pins of the memory socket of a ps2. question is, will it work? i don't want to mess around with memory cards, cuz... you know*whispers* that's f***ing bulls**t and those who like them are nostalgia blinded.

2. iCEQB

iCEQB GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 2, 2013
    United States
    I would like to know that as well ... you (we) might be better off asking that at places like psx-scene, because there are a bunch of ps2 devs hanging out.

3. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    There's hombrew for moving save data from the memory to a USB drive, other than that an SD card to PS2 memory card is possible but it the card wouldn't be in a format your computer would recognize.

4. iCEQB

iCEQB GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 2, 2013
    United States
    Aren't the memory cards FAT formatted?

5. slitherin96
    OP

slitherin96 Member

Newcomer
    May 22, 2014
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    i dont need the computer to recognize it. just save to the damn thing, because here in bulgaria, there aint that many memory cards around + no one ships to us. kind of a bummer. that's why i'm asking.

6. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    I don't rightly know, there was a memory card that you could hook up to the computer that required special software in order to be read.

That's why using homebrew and a USB stick would be the cheapest less technically involved solution. No one ships to you? Have you tried Aliexpress? They seem to ship just about anywhere.

EDIT: Found one! inexpensive, large capacity, 5 star reviews and ships to Bulgaria.
    64GB PS2 Memory Card

Last edited by Monty Kensicle, Nov 15, 2015
  7. flo

flo GBAtemp Regular

Nov 2, 2006
    Hungary
    Be careful with those surprisingly cheap memory cards , obvioulsy they are fake , buy the most expensive one you can find , they are more likely to have a good board inside ( 2IC - 2 integrated chips , these are ok )

8. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    They're not "fake" they're 3rd party, Sony, Madcatz and Action Replay don't make PS2 memory cards any more so you're gonna be hard pressed to find anything high end. I've been using one like that for years now without issue.