Hacking SD2Vita problems with free space

JarrahWhite

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
OK, I finally broke down and got an SD2Vita adapter and a 512GB Samsung micro SD that I bought from JB Hi-Fi. I installed TF Card Plug-in tool and followed the steps discussed by Tech James for setting it up as uma0 and ux0.

When I set it up as uma0, nearly the entire card is empty. No surprises there. But when I follow the steps for setting it up as ux0, a substantial portion of the SD card is used up. Previously I used a 64GB Vita Memory card with 59.50GB used up. I backed up those files to my computer and copied them to the uma0 SD2Vita via VitaShell. In theory, since it is only a 512GB card and I'm only copying 59.5GB across, there should be over 400GB in free space. Instead, when the copying is complete, it tells me that 248.71GB has been used up. Leaving me with only 228GB of free space. What happened? How did I lose nearly half the SD card's free space? Even stranger, when I plug the same card into my PC only the amount of data I copied registered.

I figured, maybe the SD2Vita maxes out at around 256GB. So I purchased a 256GB Samsung from the exact same store and repeat the same steps as before. But nope, despite only copying 59.5GB of files I'm somehow left with 114GB of free space. What am I doing wrong?!

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You should avoid following video tutorials... and definitely avoid Tech James - he's a fucking idiot that doesn't know what he's talking about 95% of the time... I'd recommend Skullator as a far better alternative, but Nintendo got his channel taken down.

Reactions: SCOTT0852

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I had the same Issue when I was filling up my 400GB. 1-4kb Files would show up as 128kb size on Disk. Format again at 64kb Allocation. Will have better Space Size. Set it Lower than 64kb, it will take longer to Read from or Write to. The Higher the Setting, the Quicker you can Read/Write, but you lose Space like crazy.

JarrahWhite

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Format again, this time with 64kb allocation space and your problem will be solved.

Yes, after posting this thread, I came across this thread suggesting the exact same thing: https://www.reddit.com/r/vitahacks/comments/6u9ai2/sd2vita_incorrect_free_space_solution_fix/

I followed James Tech's steps as before, this time by selecting 64kb allocation space. I haven't tried the 512GB card yet, but the 256GB card now has 60.32GB out of 238.48GB used up according to VitaShell.

Thanks.

philbabar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a question ,114gb left and on vita settings or Pkjg theres something else. If I have no more space and download a game from Pkjg, does it delete another game to make space? Thanks

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question ,114gb left and on vita settings or Pkjg theres something else. If I have no more space and download a game from Pkjg, does it delete another game to make space? Thanks

could be wrong, but afaik, it won't even let you download a game if you don't have enough space.

Reactions: Hayato213

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway