Hacking SD card corrupted. No backups - on updated sysnand with Luma.

astrangeone

OP
Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
I was just attempting a DSiWare downgrade on a new Nintendo 3DS XL, and my card corrupted while putting on the public.sav. I put everything back onto a fresh micro SD - armloaderhax.bin, luma folders, and even put Hourglass9 back into place.

Hourglass9 is not working. Even renamed to y_Hourglass9.bin doesn't work.

What am I missing?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Completely untrue. The OTP is not used for any kind of FIRM encryption at all. Rather, the OTP is used in FIRM decryption.
The OTP is used to calculate keys that are used in arm9loader to decrypt FIRM0 & FIRM1. The FIRMs are signed by Nintendo, which obviously we can't change and still have signed. However, what we do is add a payload to the end of FIRM0. Because FIRM0 isn't signed, the arm9loader does not jump to it and reads the backup FIRM1, which is smaller, and thus our payload isn't unloaded when the valid FIRM1 is read and prepared to jump to. Now here's where the OTP comes into play. Simplified to an extreme, the FIRM1 is signed by Nintendo, but that doesn't mean it has to be read correctly, thanks to the unsigned keystore flaw. Because the keys are derived from the OTP, we obtain our OTP to mathematically determine a very special key. This key, when used by the arm9loader to decrypt FIRM1, will decrypt FIRM1 to, at the point where ARM9 jumps in, have an instruction to jump to our payload, still loaded in at the end of memory. Rekt.
I hope this answered any questions, and wasn't too confusing. Tell me if there's something I didn't cover, or doesn't make sense ;)
Something else to mention: FIRM0 is the only integrity check that's failed. The arm9loader does not check the keystore, which unknowingly leads itself to its doom.

This explain why you need OTP for for A9LH, it is someone else explanation not mine btw, as long you have all the necessary required file then your system can boot

astrangeone

OP
Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Completely untrue. The OTP is not used for any kind of FIRM encryption at all. Rather, the OTP is used in FIRM decryption.
The OTP is used to calculate keys that are used in arm9loader to decrypt FIRM0 & FIRM1. The FIRMs are signed by Nintendo, which obviously we can't change and still have signed. However, what we do is add a payload to the end of FIRM0. Because FIRM0 isn't signed, the arm9loader does not jump to it and reads the backup FIRM1, which is smaller, and thus our payload isn't unloaded when the valid FIRM1 is read and prepared to jump to. Now here's where the OTP comes into play. Simplified to an extreme, the FIRM1 is signed by Nintendo, but that doesn't mean it has to be read correctly, thanks to the unsigned keystore flaw. Because the keys are derived from the OTP, we obtain our OTP to mathematically determine a very special key. This key, when used by the arm9loader to decrypt FIRM1, will decrypt FIRM1 to, at the point where ARM9 jumps in, have an instruction to jump to our payload, still loaded in at the end of memory. Rekt.
I hope this answered any questions, and wasn't too confusing. Tell me if there's something I didn't cover, or doesn't make sense ;)

Something else to mention: FIRM0 is the only integrity check that's failed. The arm9loader does not check the keystore, which unknowingly leads itself to its doom.

This explain why you need OTP for for A9LH, it is someone else explanation not mine btw, as long you have all the necessary required file then your system can boot

Thanks, and I knew all that. My system is booting fine, and I'm going to do the DSiWare transfer tomorrow for a friend, but I just wanted to make a backup of my NAND before hand - otherwise I'm stuck reinjecting fbi to h&s.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, and I knew all that. My system is booting fine, and I'm going to do the DSiWare transfer tomorrow for a friend, but I just wanted to make a backup of my NAND before hand - otherwise I'm stuck reinjecting fbi to h&s.

You are welcome and Im glad you fixed your 3ds

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Remember to backup your SD card without the games to your computer as backup.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro