Scribblenauts over hyped?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Scott-105, Sep 18, 2009.

?

Do you think Scribblenauts was over hyped?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. A little bit.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Sep 18, 2009

Scribblenauts over hyped? by Scott-105 at 10:06 PM (5,618 Views / 0 Likes) 67 replies

1. Scott-105
    OP

Member Scott-105 Bow to me. Please?

Canada
    Hey everyone. I just started playing Scribblenauts today. It's an alright game and all but it's not that great. Sure, the writing part is cool but how does that make a game fun? Plus on top of that the controls kinda suck. I'd give it a 7.5 as a review score. Leave replies and tell me what you think.

Edit: The graphics remind of Drawn to Life. 2D and where the character is constantly moving his head.

2. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    I have to admit, I've almost finished world 2 (including advanced mode) and already the game is wearing a little thin.

3. Primenay13

Member Primenay13 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I agree, it was way over hyped, but its still a fairly good game in my opinion.

4. Bently

Member Bently GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Well i think this game is also over hyped. But I guess its fun because its creative and new in a way.
    Also it gets players using their imagination to write down things that wouldnt ever happen in the real world.

5. Rogue Trader

Member Rogue Trader GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    It was definately over-hyped. It's still a good game, and was pretty fun for a while, but it isn't perfect- it's a bit repetitive and the controls are annoying. I'd say a 7.5 out of 10.

6. dice

Former Staff dice pansy-ass ex-staff member

United Kingdom
    I would have considered this amongst the best games if it had better controls (why they didn't use the d-pad to move Maxwell I'll never know).

7. syko5150

Member syko5150 GBAtemp Syko!

United States
    i find messing around on the title screen to be more enjoyable then the actual levels...

8. anaxs

Member anaxs got milk, got candy

Canada
    it was over hyped
    it wasnt as good as i thot it would be but its still pretty fun
    i play it when im boreed but its not one of the major games i play

9. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    Agreed. Dpad movement would've been awesome

10. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    I have to agree. This game was really overhyped and it didn't deliver to my expectations what I'd thought it would be...I'd give it an average score, 6/10.

11. Bleedingelite

Member Bleedingelite GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It was definitely overhyped. I mean, it could have literally been the best game ever made, and it still would have been overhyped. That said, I think it's a lot of fun. I haven't gotten bored of it at all, and I think it's the perfect game to pick up and play for a half hour or so at work when I get bored. Which is often.

The controls are, well, pretty bad. But I've gotten used to them and they're pretty much a non-issue for me at this point. The amount of objects and interactions are just mind boggling. Finding glitches like the flying moon buggy make it even better for me. When I find myself stuck on a level, I have to remind myself how incredibly huge my toolbox is and I usually come up with something totally nuts that solves the puzzle. I'd give it an 8.5/10

12. Scott-105
    OP

Canada
    Hmm i agree with you all.

13. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    "If" being the key word.

Yeah, it was majorly over-hyped. Even if the controls were better and it wasn't plagued by other issues, the media still went way too crazy over the game. It's a very cool concept, but they turned Scribblenauts into a pop phenomenon.

Either way, I can only play it in very short stints. Mechanics are very important to me, and that's why certain games really appeal to me (Web of Shadows DS), while they might seem kind of boring to others. That's just my personal taste, really.

14. Scott-105
    OP

Canada
    One thing i forgot to mention was the music. I can't stand it! I play with it off. What do you all think of it?

15. blackdragonbaham

Member blackdragonbaham GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    yeah it was over hyped,
    although i think the idea behind this game is a fresh and innovative one and innovation is welcome, especially cause' thats what nintendo praises with the nds. The anticipation after the promotion and trailer was big, but it fades after some levels of the game, the developers could have done much better, cause the control suck and is too imprecise in dificult situations and the long-time motivation isn't really big.
    the words and items included in the game may be a lot, wow, but who do really want to search for every word if it's not necessary to beat the game, and if there is really someone who wants to see every item, he doesn't even have to play the whole game cause there is no limitation of words to the progress.
    All in all scribblenauts is a fun game (i don't even know what genre i would assign it to) but not more:.

16. zeromac

Member zeromac Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY

Australia
    Well, i don't actually think it was too overhyped :| but i still play it constantly (1 last action puzzle in world 7) and im almost done and its still going strong.
    Yea i have to agree with some people that moving Maxwell around sucks sometimes but i dont agree with the D-pad thing, my reason is that you have to use the Dpad to move the camera most of the time and it makes sense that 5th Cell chose this because in most of the later puzzles you will have to rely on the camera speed and draw rate because its a "beat the clock" situation.

My only Suggestion is that there should have been a button that was pressable, that, when pressed would instantly move the camera to maxwell because i found it really tough on my eyes when i had to move a objet over to the over side of the screen and then move the camera back to maxwell, just a pain in the eyes.

17. Hypershad12

Member Hypershad12 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I think it's awesome. Not over-hyped. It's good.

18. alidsl

Member alidsl I am now a lurker

United Kingdom
    Great game but a bit overhyped I think maybe if it had D-pad controls it would have made a better game

19. Whooosh

Member Whooosh GBAtemp Regular

Ireland
    Theres a cheat code for that in gbatemps cheat database. its only v0.1

and its shit(max just kind vibrates slowley in the direction, camera passes him out and no jump)

But in the future it may improve

20. chazam1337

Member chazam1337 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Over hyped it may be, but you can have manbearpig and keyboard cat and not to mention anon with you. How win is that?