Screen Capture

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by LarBob, Jan 1, 2016.

1. LarBob
    OP

LarBob GBAtemp Fan

Dec 29, 2013
    United States
    Is it possible to do something like a capture card but without one on a modded 3ds? Kind of like with jailbroken iPhones you can transmit the screen to your computer thru your wifi connection. I'm guessing the o3ds might be too slow but maybe it would work on the n3ds? Just a thought.

Thanks

2. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Realistically? No. Not without causing some brutal slowdowns.

3. Damon_girl

Damon_girl GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 27, 2015
    United States
    I've been wondering how you do that on jailbroken iPhones. My phone is jailbroken and I would love to stream it to the PC so I could make videos.

4. josamilu

josamilu GBAtemp Fan

Feb 1, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Saturn is better than Jupiter :P
    Kinda useless, because you could just install a screen recorder on an jailbroken ios device.

5. DKB

DKB FUCK OFF

GBAtemp Patron
    DKB is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 29, 2015
    United States
    New York City, Manhattan
    Wouldn't have sound, though.

6. Damon_girl

Damon_girl GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 27, 2015
    United States
    I know. I have one of those, but if I'm making a video that requires both a phone and pc, then it wouldn't be useless. I've seen people make videos like that all the time.

josamilu likes this.
  7. Perska

Perska Member

Newcomer
    Aug 22, 2015
    Finland
    While it could be possible, you would have to live with a framerate of 1 FPS.

8. YamiHoshi.nl

YamiHoshi.nl I'm MKGirlism.

May 23, 2011
    Tokyo
    G'Luck with that...

9. Sethyron

Sethyron Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 1, 2016
    Brazil
    I dont think movie recording is possible (too weak hardware for that), but there was a plugin for PSP called SV Capture that u could record small GIF's.
    Unfortunately a RemoteJoy alternative is not possible for 3DS since the port was only designed to charge the 3ds battery.

10. TheKawaiiDesu

TheKawaiiDesu Ball of Kawaiiness

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    Smea said a *very* basic version of something like this could exist, but exclusively on N3DS and with a lot of limitations.

11. EpicLPer

EpicLPer Nice unless you give me a reason to hate you ;)

Mar 13, 2015
    Austria
    Austria
    If someone managed to stream the GPU buffer via WiFi to a PC where it'll then record it (aka. not directly recording to an SD Card) it "could" work without slowdowns... Theoretically. Practical I don't think so without months of developing ;P
    Besides that: The low resolution of the 3DS would make it perfect for in-home streaming to a PC. It's not something like 1080p60 :P

MAXLEMPIRA likes this.
  12. RainCode

RainCode The Temper that Tampers

Sep 29, 2015
    /dev/null
    There's limits like the amount of RAM that would be allocated to that.
    So we would basically have these running: homebrew menu > screen recorder > homebrew / app / game
    You could kill off the homebrew menu so that the screen recorder could have more RAM and so that you can manage it without too much of an issue.

Using WiFi sounds like a great idea. Not too sure about the maximum upload/download speeds for it but it could be good enough if compression would also be in use.
    Compression itself would involve a bit of processing, though it generally isn't too much especially for MPEG-4.

As for the program that would record, I'm not sure if it would have such access. It might need to exploit/use a kernel vulnerability for this to work (properly).

Overall, it sounds feasible though it wouldn't be a surprise if it were to slow down devices like the o3DS because of all that processing.

13. LarBob
    OP

LarBob GBAtemp Fan

Dec 29, 2013
    United States
    Might have to limit it to N3DS or maybe change the clock whilst it's running on O3DS slightly

14. DarkFlare69

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    KazoWAR sent me a private version of NTRVideo, I don't knos if I'm allowed to give it. It could be used as a start for something like this.

15. RainCode

RainCode The Temper that Tampers

Sep 29, 2015
    /dev/null
    Did a Google search and a thread with you mentioning this application showed up from not too long ago. "1-2 FPS" you said, which is a good starting point.
    Was it made private for a reason?