Homebrew Screen Capture

LarBob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to do something like a capture card but without one on a modded 3ds? Kind of like with jailbroken iPhones you can transmit the screen to your computer thru your wifi connection. I'm guessing the o3ds might be too slow but maybe it would work on the n3ds? Just a thought.

Thanks

Damon_girl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to do something like a capture card but without one on a modded 3ds? Kind of like with jailbroken iPhones you can transmit the screen to your computer thru your wifi connection. I'm guessing the o3ds might be too slow but maybe it would work on the n3ds? Just a thought.

Thanks
I've been wondering how you do that on jailbroken iPhones. My phone is jailbroken and I would love to stream it to the PC so I could make videos.

Damon_girl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kinda useless, because you could just install a screen recorder on an jailbroken ios device.
I know. I have one of those, but if I'm making a video that requires both a phone and pc, then it wouldn't be useless. I've seen people make videos like that all the time.

Reactions: josamilu

Sethyron

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I dont think movie recording is possible (too weak hardware for that), but there was a plugin for PSP called SV Capture that u could record small GIF's.
Unfortunately a RemoteJoy alternative is not possible for 3DS since the port was only designed to charge the 3ds battery.

EpicLPer

Your friendly Austrian IT Guy
Trophies
Website
epiclper.com
XP
Country
Austria
If someone managed to stream the GPU buffer via WiFi to a PC where it'll then record it (aka. not directly recording to an SD Card) it "could" work without slowdowns... Theoretically. Practical I don't think so without months of developing ;P
Besides that: The low resolution of the 3DS would make it perfect for in-home streaming to a PC. It's not something like 1080p60 :P

Reactions: MAXLEMPIRA

NodePoint

  
Trophies
that was a lie -- actually somewhere in europe
XP
Country
United States
If someone managed to stream the GPU buffer via WiFi to a PC where it'll then record it (aka. not directly recording to an SD Card) it "could" work without slowdowns... Theoretically. Practical I don't think so without months of developing ;P
Besides that: The low resolution of the 3DS would make it perfect for in-home streaming to a PC. It's not something like 1080p60 :P
There's limits like the amount of RAM that would be allocated to that.
So we would basically have these running: homebrew menu > screen recorder > homebrew / app / game
You could kill off the homebrew menu so that the screen recorder could have more RAM and so that you can manage it without too much of an issue.

Using WiFi sounds like a great idea. Not too sure about the maximum upload/download speeds for it but it could be good enough if compression would also be in use.
Compression itself would involve a bit of processing, though it generally isn't too much especially for MPEG-4.

As for the program that would record, I'm not sure if it would have such access. It might need to exploit/use a kernel vulnerability for this to work (properly).

Overall, it sounds feasible though it wouldn't be a surprise if it were to slow down devices like the o3DS because of all that processing.

LarBob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's limits like the amount of RAM that would be allocated to that.
So we would basically have these running: homebrew menu > screen recorder > homebrew / app / game
You could kill off the homebrew menu so that the screen recorder could have more RAM and so that you can manage it without too much of an issue.

Using WiFi sounds like a great idea. Not too sure about the maximum upload/download speeds for it but it could be good enough if compression would also be in use.
Compression itself would involve a bit of processing, though it generally isn't too much especially for MPEG-4.

As for the program that would record, I'm not sure if it would have such access. It might need to exploit/use a kernel vulnerability for this to work (properly).

Overall, it sounds feasible though it wouldn't be a surprise if it were to slow down devices like the o3DS because of all that processing.
Might have to limit it to N3DS or maybe change the clock whilst it's running on O3DS slightly

NodePoint

  
Trophies
that was a lie -- actually somewhere in europe
XP
Country
United States
KazoWAR sent me a private version of NTRVideo, I don't knos if I'm allowed to give it. It could be used as a start for something like this.
Did a Google search and a thread with you mentioning this application showed up from not too long ago. "1-2 FPS" you said, which is a good starting point.
Was it made private for a reason?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I am the Eggman... I am the Walrus...