Screen Capture

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Jamstruth, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Jamstruth
    OP

Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

Apr 23, 2009
    North East Scotland
    SO I'm planning on screencapping a session of Minecraft with a friend over Skype (Adventure map+skype+editting=fun (hopefully) but I need a different screencap tool. I currently have FRAPS which works perfectly, great quality etc. but I recorded 2 minutes of footage(848x480 @30FPS) and the file size was 1.45GB. Over a couple of hours that is going to be a gigantic file to deal with. Are there any good screencapture tools that will produce a smaller file as well as record my computer audio+my mic?

2. Ikki

Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Jun 1, 2010
    Uruguay
    Montevideo
    You can make it record half size.

If you are already, I think Camtasia works for what you want.

3. Jamstruth
    OP

Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

Apr 23, 2009
    North East Scotland
    Recording half size will make the video far too low quality for what I want. 848x480 isn't very high-res so halfing it would make it a 240p video (low quality for Youtube these days). I'll check out Camtasia.

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Fraps is hardcoded to use a custom codec and does not allow you to change it so it is sacrifice resolution or nothing. You might try http://taksi.sourceforge.net/ which does 3d capture and can use a custom codec (VFW only but if you installed FFDshow on your system you should have the FFDshow codec which you can tell to use a whole mess of things that might result in either less demand or smaller file sizes as appropriate).

Audio can be done with a standard loopback tool.

5. jargus

jargus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 11, 2007
    United States
    Camtasia, Camstudio, or ZD Soft recorder are good alternatives to fraps