Scene ROMs - Online tutorial for dummies

Hi guys!

sonic2756's Unique Header Discussion thread is going quite big, so i will check it and add here all of the original headers posted and collect it here. If you want to discuss technical data, please us his thread instead of this tutorial. Post here only questions about the tools to use to edit your headers or if a game doesn't work.

UPDATE February 2015 : Nintendo started banning users playing online.
We suspect the use of Public Headers, but the real detection method is currently unconfirmed. Use this guide at your own risk.

More information about the first 3DS banning wave : https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-begins-banning-pirates-from-3ds-online-service.381168/

I will describe easy method for write new header on scene releases. It doesn't work everytime, so try different headers.
Remember, if you use eg. US header on EU rom it works, but you have to accept Nintendo TOS again.
IMPORTANT: change header will make your old saves non working, so backup it first!
IMPORTANT COMMA 2: the same header can be used for more than one game.

NEEDED FILES:
1) GATEWAY ROM PATCHER 0.6 (Alternative Link)
2) A valid .bin header from the list below
3) A scene ROM
If links goes off send me a PM, I will reupload ASAP.

WRITE BIN HEADER ON SCENE ROM:
0) First thing: MAKE A BACKUP OF THE ROM!
1) Open your scene backup with GATEWAY ROM PATCHER 0.6. It should look similar at the image below:
ASthPu8.jpg

2) Uncheck "Ask to create blablabla", then click on the Import button, then load your .bin header. If Chip ID or Media Type are not corresponding, then GRP will show this:

sIBjiqn.jpg

Click YES

3) A wild button "Inject" appears! Click on it.
4) Rename your rom from .3DS to .3DZ
5) Enjoy online!

BIN HEADER BACKUP:
1) Backup your original 3DS card with Gateway
2) Copy resulting 3ds file on your PC
3) Download and open GATEWAY ROM PATCHER 0.6
4) Load your rom
5) Click on Export button
6) Share the resulting .bin file, indicating the Game Name, Region, Size and Type of save

SHARED BIN HEADERS:

Thanks to everyone for programs, threads, tuts and bin files.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys Who Have Header Super Street Fighter 4 3D

You can use any header, even your own header. Gateway Rom Patcher automatically adjusts rom sizes to match, so you can use the same header for everything. I use my own Mario Kart 7 header for everything, and I tested all the games working fine.

But if any of you were to use a public header, just use the Metal Gear Solid 3 header. It's 4 GB and fits any rom. Roms require a header thats the same rom size or BIGGER. And there's no rom bigger than 4 GB at the moment.

SF1997

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
You can use any header, even your own header. Gateway Rom Patcher automatically adjusts rom sizes to match, so you can use the same header for everything. I use my own Mario Kart 7 header for everything, and I tested all the games working fine.

But if any of you were to use a public header, just use the Metal Gear Solid 3 header. It's 4 GB and fits any rom. Roms require a header thats the same rom size or BIGGER. And there's no rom bigger than 4 GB at the moment.

Thx

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ive been trying to import pokemon y header into pokemon y scene release, but after that the inject button doesnt get highlighted?
I used the header found in 1post here.

I just noticed my scene release already had header, the very same one as in bin, that's why you didn't get inject button ;)

edit: nvm, rather than scene, it seems it auto injects signature if there's nothing to correct. i.e. inserting pokemon y signature to pokemon y or pokemon x.

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I know i was able to patch roms that way but i haven't played them yet so i dunno if it affects anything, still i think it's written somewhere it's ok to do so.

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
So if I understand this correctly, I can play online in the new Smash Bros with Gateway.

So can I take a 3DS cart I own that does NOT have online capability (think galaga museum) and set that header to Smash?

eggsample

punahussy
Trophies
Website
eggsample.pl
XP
Country
Poland
I dont know if you are asking me. Im just asking if someone knows where i can find those headers to download and continue rom patching (whatever header is...) so i can play online.

Just read the first post to it's bottom.
Scene ROMs - Online tutorial for dummies

but what is a header exactly? :gba:

http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Title_metadata#Header

So if I understand this correctly, I can play online in the new Smash Bros with Gateway.

So can I take a 3DS cart I own that does NOT have online capability (think galaga museum) and set that header to Smash?
IDK, try it and tell us.

Reactions: Metoroid0

fatboynate

Bringer of Freedom
Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
so if i dump my pokemon y eu header and use it in a pokemon x eu rom and play both online at the same time, i will not get banned? cause this will be helpful for doing multiple trades at once

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's hard to say if you're not gonna get banned when no one got banned from nintendo networks for stuff like this.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well i hope i dont get banned, i'll try it anyways, cause im about done with x&y now anyways
A lot of people use the headers that are shared on this site, and I've yet to hear of any bannings. It's possible there's dozens (maybe hundreds, but I don't know how popular Gateway is) of games running at the same time with the same header. If you use your own header, you're less likely to be banned, assuming they'd even do such a thing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over