Scene ROMs - Online tutorial for dummies

Hi guys!

sonic2756's Unique Header Discussion thread is going quite big, so i will check it and add here all of the original headers posted and collect it here. If you want to discuss technical data, please us his thread instead of this tutorial. Post here only questions about the tools to use to edit your headers or if a game doesn't work.

UPDATE February 2015 : Nintendo started banning users playing online.
We suspect the use of Public Headers, but the real detection method is currently unconfirmed. Use this guide at your own risk.

More information about the first 3DS banning wave : https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-begins-banning-pirates-from-3ds-online-service.381168/

I will describe easy method for write new header on scene releases. It doesn't work everytime, so try different headers.
Remember, if you use eg. US header on EU rom it works, but you have to accept Nintendo TOS again.
IMPORTANT: change header will make your old saves non working, so backup it first!
IMPORTANT COMMA 2: the same header can be used for more than one game.

NEEDED FILES:
1) GATEWAY ROM PATCHER 0.6 (Alternative Link)
2) A valid .bin header from the list below
3) A scene ROM
If links goes off send me a PM, I will reupload ASAP.

WRITE BIN HEADER ON SCENE ROM:
0) First thing: MAKE A BACKUP OF THE ROM!
1) Open your scene backup with GATEWAY ROM PATCHER 0.6. It should look similar at the image below:
ASthPu8.jpg

2) Uncheck "Ask to create blablabla", then click on the Import button, then load your .bin header. If Chip ID or Media Type are not corresponding, then GRP will show this:

sIBjiqn.jpg

Click YES

3) A wild button "Inject" appears! Click on it.
4) Rename your rom from .3DS to .3DZ
5) Enjoy online!

BIN HEADER BACKUP:
1) Backup your original 3DS card with Gateway
2) Copy resulting 3ds file on your PC
3) Download and open GATEWAY ROM PATCHER 0.6
4) Load your rom
5) Click on Export button
6) Share the resulting .bin file, indicating the Game Name, Region, Size and Type of save

SHARED BIN HEADERS:

Thanks to everyone for programs, threads, tuts and bin files.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it's still a bit confusing because of this:

It lists Pokemon Y as 2 GB, but the ROM list says it is "16384" (which I assume to be 16 GB). Oh, wait... I double checked my ROM on the Red Gateway Cart and it is 2 GB after all. In which case I can't go by that list to know what Wipeout 3 is. Is there a list of 4 GB titles? If I can find one cheap enough to buy in multiples I will post an ID on here and keep the rest secret for myself.

EDIT:

Here we go. Not I know what I am looking for...

1024 Mbit = 128MB
2048 Mbit = 256MB
4096 Mbit = 512MB
8192 Mbit = 1GB
16384 Mbit = 2GB

So Wipeout 3 would be too small. Which bites because that looks like the cheapest. It looks like the next cheapest game to buy new is Fifa 12, at $15. Although I really hate sports games. hmm. Oh, but "Doctor Lautrec and The Forgotten Knights" is also 2 GB and I found it for $13.45 New. I could buy 3 copies of that. One for each pokemon game and then just reuse one of the headers for all my other games which would leave one left over to release the header for online. Or I can risk it used.

(I know I can take the header for my existing carts, but I want to avoid the possibility of getting banned for using two Pokemon games with the same header at the same time)

That just leaves the issue of DLC. If I change the header what happens to DLC purchased from the eShop?

DLC isn't a problem, that remains on your 3DS and can be used with any cartridge or digital version of the game. It's not tied to the game save at all basically.

Using headers is simple, you can use any rom of any size.
I assure you that Gateway rom patcher WILL ask you to fix the header, just click yes and it will adjust it to the right size you need. It's a no brainer.
Dedicate One of your cartridge's header for all your online roms. Then keep that cartridge to yourself, don't sell it or let someone go online with it at the same time as you.

If you started a save before injecting the header, you'll be starting a new save with the new header. The old save won't be recognizable anymore.

Elliander

Trophies
Website
elliander.etherealspheres.com
XP
Country
United States
DLC isn't a problem, that remains on your 3DS and can be used with any cartridge or digital version of the game. It's not tied to the game save at all basically.

Using headers is simple, you can use any rom of any size.
I assure you that Gateway rom patcher WILL ask you to fix the header, just click yes and it will adjust it to the right size you need. It's a no brainer.

OK, so the size doesn't matter after all? So if I bought "Wipeout 3" (A 512 MB game) it would have no problems being the header for Pokemon X or Y? (A 2 GB game)

Dedicate One of your cartridge's header for all your online roms. Then keep that cartridge to yourself, don't sell it or let someone go online with it at the same time as you.

Isn't there a risk in going online with two different games that use the same header even at two separate times? What about Pokemon Bank? If I used one header for all my Pokemon games wouldn't that be potentially problematic? I would think that the risk would be very low for unrelated game titles, but wouldn't the risk be higher when multiple different games essentially interact with the same digital product?

If you started a save before injecting the header, you'll be starting a new save with the new header. The old save won't be recognizable anymore.

I'm getting some conflicting information on that last one in this thread:

I have a legit Pokemon Y cart, but I only ever used a scene dump because there were issues running the game initially. Does this mean that I can now dump my own cart fresh, inject the header into my ROM, and expect it to work online? As long as I also decrypt and reinject the save that is? Or is there another reason it won't go online?

Oh, and I am using the latest update of Gateway 3DS. Roughly how long should this process take?

That will work. Just make sure you decrypt the save before patching the ROM and you reinject it afterwards. Or just inject it to your own ROM dump - no need to patch your scene dump actually.

How long it will take? No idea, depends on your SD card, I think. Shouldn't be more than a few minutes.

I'm thinking that whatever the final answer ends up being on both issues (saves, and header source file size requirements of lack thereof) the first post should be updated with an FAQ to help other confused individuals.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as the header isn't online at the same time as another copy of it, it's safe to use it on all your roms. The whole point is to use one of your game's headers to trick the online servers to thinking that you're playing wipeout 3. As long as they aren't seeing more than one copy of Wipeout 3 with the same ID online at the same time, you're safe. You'll never play more than one rom at the same exact time.
So using one header for all your roms is fine, it'll be like you're playing online with Wipeout 3 every time you go online with any game.

This is just knowledge I've picked up over time, we don't even know if we're entirely safe with private headers. But it's definitely better than using a public header.

TCZaro

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all, complete novice here, I'm trying to play online with some scene dumps, and using the Rom Patcher I am able to inject my self-dumped cart ID, but I do not know how to use the correct chip ID. When I use the "auto-detect" function of the Rom Patcher, the game cannot be launched. When I try to view the Chip ID of the dump I got online, I just get 0's. How do I find the correct values to enter for my chip ID so I can play online?

ceanth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all,

I am new to the 3DS scene and I am testing out the adding of headers. I understand the process however my question is that Nintendo would ban users if they have no header while being online.

This process fixes it however if we all use the same header which is posted then wouldn't Nintendo simply look for multiple instances of the shared header and issue the ban?

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all,

I am new to the 3DS scene and I am testing out the adding of headers. I understand the process however my question is that Nintendo would ban users if they have no header while being online.

This process fixes it however if we all use the same header which is posted then wouldn't Nintendo simply look for multiple instances of the shared header and issue the ban?
You can'y go online without a header, you'll get an error. However if you use a shared header that's how you get banned. Use a private header and live happy at the end of the day.
Bans are supposedly 1-2 weeks temporary I heard.

Reactions: emerald_boy

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Hey, as Iam new here, I want to contribute something. :)

This is the Private Header extracted from my A Link Between Worlds Retail. Free for Public use.
any header publicly shared is pretty much pointless as it's now public so Nintendo could just ban anyone using it, it would be better to just remove it and offer it for the first person to pm you

buckfush

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
any header publicly shared is pretty much pointless as it's now public so Nintendo could just ban anyone using it, it would be better to just remove it and offer it for the first person to pm you

K, changed it. But how PM's work here? Are they called "Conversations"? Don't know 'bout that board software really...

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
K, changed it. But how PM's work here? Are they called "Conversations"? Don't know 'bout that board software really...
well if it's whoever pm''s you first you don't have to worry too much about how it works, whoever sends you a pm will have to know, but yeah you just hit your display picture and pick "send pm"....but you need 10 posts before you can start private messaging people

ps welcome to gbatemp :)

Last edited by gamesquest1,

buckfush

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
well if it's whoever pm''s you first you don't have to worry too much about how it works, whoever sends you a pm will have to know, but yeah you just hit your display picture and pick "send pm"....but you need 10 posts before you can start private messaging people

ps welcome to gbatemp :)

A british gentleman... Thanks! Well, I will achieve the 10 post's quick because I'am planning to upgrade my O3DS XL to A9LH tomorrow. ;) Anyone who helps me will get this header, I don't need it. Iam on 4.5 SYSNAND with Gateway DS Exploit. So, it's time to update I guess. :D I read some things but there's some much new stuff, doens't understand it all. :D Anyway, hopefully I can find some Tri-Force Heroes... The public mode is a pain in the ass! Can I enter my NNID in my profile?

AtP

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
banned by using pokemon Y header for pokemon sun
Any idea what kind of Header I need?

Last edited by AtP,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users