Scene ROMs - Online tutorial for dummies

Hi guys!

sonic2756's Unique Header Discussion thread is going quite big, so i will check it and add here all of the original headers posted and collect it here. If you want to discuss technical data, please us his thread instead of this tutorial. Post here only questions about the tools to use to edit your headers or if a game doesn't work.

UPDATE February 2015 : Nintendo started banning users playing online.
We suspect the use of Public Headers, but the real detection method is currently unconfirmed. Use this guide at your own risk.

More information about the first 3DS banning wave : https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-begins-banning-pirates-from-3ds-online-service.381168/

I will describe easy method for write new header on scene releases. It doesn't work everytime, so try different headers.
Remember, if you use eg. US header on EU rom it works, but you have to accept Nintendo TOS again.
IMPORTANT: change header will make your old saves non working, so backup it first!
IMPORTANT COMMA 2: the same header can be used for more than one game.

NEEDED FILES:
1) GATEWAY ROM PATCHER 0.6 (Alternative Link)
2) A valid .bin header from the list below
3) A scene ROM
If links goes off send me a PM, I will reupload ASAP.

WRITE BIN HEADER ON SCENE ROM:
0) First thing: MAKE A BACKUP OF THE ROM!
1) Open your scene backup with GATEWAY ROM PATCHER 0.6. It should look similar at the image below:
ASthPu8.jpg

2) Uncheck "Ask to create blablabla", then click on the Import button, then load your .bin header. If Chip ID or Media Type are not corresponding, then GRP will show this:

sIBjiqn.jpg

Click YES

3) A wild button "Inject" appears! Click on it.
4) Rename your rom from .3DS to .3DZ
5) Enjoy online!

BIN HEADER BACKUP:
1) Backup your original 3DS card with Gateway
2) Copy resulting 3ds file on your PC
3) Download and open GATEWAY ROM PATCHER 0.6
4) Load your rom
5) Click on Export button
6) Share the resulting .bin file, indicating the Game Name, Region, Size and Type of save

SHARED BIN HEADERS:

Thanks to everyone for programs, threads, tuts and bin files.

Groomery

Trophies
Website
g.imagehost.org
XP
Country
Ive been trying to import pokemon y header into pokemon y scene release, but after that the inject button doesnt get highlighted?
I used the header found in 1post here.

marra

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Great tutorial and very straight forward, Thanks a lot.
Although I do have one question, Does it matter which bin file you use? So far I have patched 2 roms with the Pilotwings bin and they have both worked no problem, thanks again.

boogiemantcb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the size of game and card type matter. The other 2 games must of been of same type. Like for pokemons you need a .bin file that is from a 4 gb cardtype2. There are community saves of all headers needed but there is a ban possibility when Nintendo sees everyone using the same headers cause headers are unique like fingerprints as far as my understanding of it is..

Reactions: marra

marra

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think the size of game and card type matter. The other 2 games must of been of same type. Like for pokemons you need a .bin file that is from a 4 gb cardtype2. There are community saves of all headers needed but there is a ban possibility when Nintendo sees everyone using the same headers cause headers are unique like fingerprints as far as my understanding of it is..

thanks for the reply mate, Only difference I notice when patching is when you untick the box and import the header in the patcher, if I don't pick the correct size it asks to fix it but if you pick the correct size it just injects with out any problems either way I've had no problems so I was wondering what the difference is.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why doesn't rom patcher v0.6 ask me to auto fix the header? When I heard that it does that, I'm like wait what, really it can do that? I've never seen it ask me once. It just leaves me to inject the header, even if it isn't matching. I don't see an inject button either.
I click load rom, then import (It backs up the game, I didn't use this guide back then), then it asks for the bin file. That's it, it's done.

I had to hex edit to make multiple copies of my header, for different rom sizes.

niño de cobre

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Why doesn't rom patcher v0.6 ask me to auto fix the header? When I heard that it does that, I'm like wait what, really it can do that? I've never seen it ask me once. It just leaves me to inject the header, even if it isn't matching. I don't see an inject button either.
I click load rom, then import (It backs up the game, I didn't use this guide back then), then it asks for the bin file. That's it, it's done.

I had to hex edit to make multiple copies of my header, for different rom sizes.

i dont know if this will fix your problem, but here is the 0.7 version

Reactions: MattKimura

FaisalS97

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have downloaded the Pokémon Y EU (CARD-2 2GB) and have injected the header into Fantasy Life, Pokémon X and Pokemon Y. Online is working fantastically with Pokémon X.

So my question is, can I use the header that I downloaded for ANY game that I wish to play online (after renaming it to .3dz)?

EDIT: I have not tested online with Y or Fantasy Life (since I'll actually need to progress a little bit through the games) but I'm just assuming they're working. xD

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have downloaded the Pokémon Y EU (CARD-2 2GB) and have injected the header into Fantasy Life, Pokémon X and Pokemon Y. Online is working fantastically with Pokémon X.

So my question is, can I use the header that I downloaded for ANY game that I wish to play online (after renaming it to .3dz)?

EDIT: I have not tested online with Y or Fantasy Life (since I'll actually need to progress a little bit through the games) but I'm just assuming they're working. xD

Gateway Rom Patcher automatically adjusts headers for you, to fit any scene rom. So you can use the same header for all your online roms. I personally use my header from Mario Kart 7, and the rom patcher adjusts it to any rom size needed. It does the work for you.
If a game boots up, then you know that the header is working and you should be able to play online.

ground

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i always thought it is possible to go online with headers from games which don't have an online funcionality? i am using one for a while now (splinter cell header) and it worked fine for all my games, until i used it for super smash brothers.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i always thought it is possible to go online with headers from games which don't have an online funcionality? i am using one for a while now (splinter cell header) and it worked fine for all my games, until i used it for super smash brothers.
I've used the Splinter Cell header to go online in a game (Theatrhythm specifically).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over