Scene hacker Voksi arrested for cracking Denuvo, raided by police

LMooDC0.png

PC gamers should be familiar with the word Denuvo, the latest anti-piracy tech created in 2014 in order to prevent pirates from cracking PC games on release. For a while, it seemed that hacking teams were defeated, unable to crack the software which had gained notoriety for supposedly causing high levels of CPU and hard drive usage, making games run worse than normal. Then came along Voksi, one of the first to reliably understand how Denuvo worked and be able to remove the software from pirated copies of games. He made a name for himself by cracking high profile games very shortly after launch, and gained popularity in the cracking scene. However, that streak appears to have ended today.

On July 25, Voksi went radio silent on all communication, and then had the website to his hacking group, REVOLT, removed by the Bulgarian government. Later that day, Voksi reappeared and claimed that police had raided his home, arresting him and taking away both his computers.

It finally happened, I can't say it wasn't expected, Denuvo filed a case against me to the bulgarian authorities. Police came yesterday and took the server pc and my personal PC. I had to go to the police afterwards and explain myself. Later that day I contacted Denuvo themselves and offered them a peacful resolution to this problem. They can't say anything for sure yet, but they said the final word is by the prosecutor of my case.

Sadly, I won't be able to do what I did anymore. I did what I did for you guys and of course because bloated software in our games shouldn't be allowed at all. Maybe someone else can continue my fight.

Denuvo's parent company, Irdeto, filed a suit with Bulgarian government, on the charges of "cybercrimes", and now, it appears Voksi will no longer be removing Denuvo from new game releases.

scoobydude51

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OOF.
My cracked copy of Mania Plus was also cracked by Voski, so now it’s officially illegal.

Please FBI, don’t track me down!

That makes me wonder if SEGA ratted out Voski since it was the last game to be publicly exposed to be badly implemented DRM and SEGA wanted to protect their image and basically asked denuvo to shut him down in any way possible.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

MaxiBash

Your Local Random Internet Geek
Trophies
Website
trashbandatcootofficial.cardd.co
XP
Country
Netherlands
SEGA said they deleted it in Mania, but ohh man, they are not learning from their lessons.
I’m sure the Shemue remake & Team Sonic Racing will have Denuvo as well.

Also, my Voski copy of Mania Plus simulates Denuvo at the exact same speed, and man, it’s worse.

Mania operates fast, while Mania Plus takes 20 seconds for the menu’s to load, every single time I have to go to the menu.
3/10 times it just freezes and proceeds to go back to my desktop.

Shinox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Coming for the cracker himself for putting himself in risk publicly is WEAKNESS , seriously companies like this should dig their head into the ground and save their face from the embarrassments , its like Nintendo level of shameless actions with Rom sites and their Youtube system but 10x times worse , sorry for being specific but i notice most Canadians in this thread are happy about this news .. are you guys rich ?

Last edited by Shinox,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

JoeBloggs777

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Haven't read all the comments here yet, so not sure if anyone mentioned this, but I think a deal will be brought to the table where he offers to work as a security adviser if they drop the charges.

many people believe Denuvo was created by hackers,
I doubt they would offer him a job also I think Baldman taught him how to crack denuvo.

Reactions: xs4all

heraymo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The genie is already out there just trying to make a example of him. but its never stopped people from breaking drm.

Aether Lion

GBATemp's Pet Lion
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have more faith in people than I do. I highly doubt your proposed scenario would actually happen that way in reality. Let's look at it this way. How many people do you believe would attempt to return a 100$ bill they've found lying on the floor in a market? My bet would be maybe 1 out of 10. If you're that 1, kudos on you brother. I commend you for being a good person. The other 9 I believe are your typical Earthlings that are out for themselves and could care less who they kick off the ladder of life as they climb it.
Just want to throw in that I am a person who will pirate a game, play it up to a month, and if I like it I almost always buy it on Steam. Using Windows Mixed Reality makes it even more important that I pirate-try it first so that I can make sure it's compatible with my VR setup. I spend hundreds a year just on that. :3

D

Deleted User

Makes me wonder when the police comes knocking at my door...?:ph34r: "Bad Cops, Bad Cops what you gonna do,what you gonna do when they come for you!?"

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just sent 5eur for him.

Who loved his work here's the info:

You can read the full story on Reddit.

Since now he’s alone in his fight against evil corporation, he needs our support to cover legal actions. You can donate any amount to the bitcoin address posted below. Unlike your donations to me for site hosting, this case is much more serious. So even if you didn’t donate me anything, please donate this time for the cause. The guy was making free cracks for all of us, it woudn’t be fair to let him down now.

Support Voksi: 1HyTg5YFsTbTViwoPzCCof2aLoWuPNo4Ae

Update: Many of you were asking if you could donate generic money, like PayPal. Voksi provided me with this address you can send your donation to: [email protected]

If you don’t believe it’s his address, contact him directly in Discord, listed in his Reddit message.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
woah bro you want to be able to modify your software that you own well i have just gotta stop you there buddy

I don't think that's the entire reason he got caught; if I were to crack my copy of Splinter Cell Chaos Theory to remove the SecuROM and StarForce DRM, I doubt Ubisoft would knock on my door.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Although tomorrow is Labor Day which means I won't go to class which means I'll sleep well.