DRM cracking team CODEX is retiring from the scene after 8 years

1518787934_zoo-codex-e1518685904377_story.jpg

CODEX is saying goodbye. One of the biggest teams behind removing DRM from software is retiring after 8 years of cracking games. The group was formed in 2014, and started their career by cracking The Sims 4 DLC. They would later gain infamy in the scene by cracking games very shortly after their release date, managing to remove Denuvo DRM from Resident Evil 2 in less than a week, and cracking Middle-earth: Shadow of War on the day of its launch.

However, after years of providing thousands of cracks for various games across nearly every PC launcher and form of DRM, the group is moving on from the scene. Codex left a message in the form of a scene-traditional .NFO, stating they've achieved the goals they set out to do. In the eight years of their history, Codex managed to make around 7,300 releases, and ended their note by saying they hope to see competition in the scene again.

5ixfqz9gzmj81.png

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Understandable...one Day it is enough with this "Kiddie" Shit.....remember the Shit those "PC Gamers" wrote on the "Crackreleases" Site...someday it is enough....so,yes,very understandable....

He is pretty sure the Best and the most reliable One.But "Cracking" Reputation is not all in Life....

We all enjoyed his Releases.
Thanks for the Possibility in the last Years to "Try before Buy" Games.

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IMHO, there should be more "we trust you" DRM-free sites like GOG.com. Heck, even a bunch of the Steam games are not tied to Steam (meaning they can still run without the Steam client if fully installed). The problem is too many companies wanting DRM to protect themselves.

You know what? Piracy is actually a form of flattery - if your stuff is good enough that people will do anything they can to get their hands on it... then you've made it to the top. Relax! Don't let these pirates scare ya! Entice them to buy the games. Offer discounts. Advertise exclusive content they can get for free that they wouldn't get in pirating. If they have hacking skills, give them the opportunity to take on finding code exploits as a job - with good pay! Understand that pirates aren't usually trying to be nefarious; most of them just want your stuff and can't afford it.

It's actually good business ethics to help pirates not be pirates instead of just throwing the ban-hammer on them.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Sad, but not surprising because of all the recent scene drama going around. I wonder if their side groups like VREX are going to be retired as well or if some members might still work on those, they were pretty much the only ones properly cracking PC VR games that would actually work instead of just throwing a steam emu at them and hoping they stick :(

Reactions: bonkmaykr

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn thats a huge blow to our PC piracy like no joke. But we still have our reliable re-packers like fitgirl. Theres no replacing Codex they had the fastest game installer out there

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Damn thats a huge blow to our PC piracy like no joke. But we still have our reliable re-packers like fitgirl. Theres no replacing Codex they had the fastest game installer out there
You know Fitgirl group isn't cracking anything right?

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I know, I mean what other groups do we even have left? Its just individual ppl that have dedicated repack sites. Or random nobodies who crack the game themselves in forums
random nobodies is better than a big group (unless their dumbasses and don't use a vpn/the right vpn) a big group of crackers make for a nice target for lawsuits especially if one squeals on the others for a lighter prison sentance simmilar to anonymous the dominos fell rather quickly just by one member even though anon isn't completely disbanded afaik they have been dealt a huge blow

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but were they the group that always included banger music in the installer? Cause if so holy hell was it always a jam when that installer opened up.

Despite that, thanks for all the work you guys put in cracking stuff for the scene, although cracks aren't everyone's cup of tea for obvious reasons, for some it's the only way and I just want to hope they go on to live happy lives.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool