Hacking save states memory

Phil Shifley

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello, I have a few questions about save states on the dstwo.
How much memory does one save take up? seems like I read it somewhere but cant find it.
Does it vary from game to game and how far you are?
Also if you save over a used save state, will it overwrite it and delete the old save, so less memory is used?
Thanks, still learning the basics, I think I finally have everything down.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I assume you mean actual save states like you get in emulators (though in practice they are not as good as emulator save states) rather than normal game saves.

I lack a DStwo to check with but memory is telling me they are compressed. General DS memory is some 4 megs plus about another meg for a the other types of memory it has, assuming compression that means anything from 5 megs a piece downwards. It can be less if they do something fancy like note binaries in memory but I do not know if they do that.

If they are compressed then it may vary from game to game and from point to point within it.

It is not your typical "many saves with a higher number on the end" process but more save slots. Most people generally suggest having 100 megs or so free if you can anyway.

Phil Shifley

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok another question. If I am playing a game on the dstwo and save using an ingame save (not emulator save state), then use the hotkey and reset to main menu, will I be able to play from the in game save? Like if I save in the game, close the emulator then start the game up again will it remember my save or do you have to use the emulator save states? thanks

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah it should not trouble normal game saving functions*, if you read something about that with the supercard then it was probably talking about their old GBA flash carts.

*I assume you want to do something like save the game, tear off and kill all the NPCs and break the game or something, soft reset and then continue on from the save you made.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.