Hacking Save not compatible with this software version?

shadowofdarkness

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just got my gateway today and team into a issue I would like to figure out what caused it. After importing with savedatafiler I get a error that the save is not compatible with this software version. What could of caused this I had previously imported the same decrypted save fine.

I'm playing legit bought eshop versions of the game with new encryption.

Everything I did after getting the gateway

1: set it up from a 9.2 sysnand basic
2: in classic mode run savedatafiler as a 3ds from the red card and backup my omega ruby save

3: play around with pkhex (don't want to chat normally just wanted to try it out)
4: import the edited save which worked great the game loaded and played
5: import the original unedited save (also worked) (I really just wanted to try hacking for fun but not actually keep anything)
6: update emunand to 9.4

7: go into my game and pickup the shiny beldum

8: store the beldum in bank (to revert save and pick up another unique iv one)
9: restore the exact same save from step 5

10: get said error. I thought maybe my encryption version ended up changing so I also tried in gateway mode but got the same error.

I do have backups and even a hard mod so I haven't lost anything but I need to understand this to not have it happen again.

Note it doesn't say the save is corrupted just not compatible

shadowofdarkness

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm trying to narrow it down a bit and after starting from scratch with a fresh full restore of my emunand + sd contents I can still get the error but it seems to be related to Bank and not the 9.4 upgrade.

My test this time
1: restore system backup
2: update emunand to 9.4
3: use savedatafiler to export save
4: import said save (still works)
5: use bank
6: try game again and it still works.
7: save game
8: export save
9: import save (no longer works)

I think Bank changing the save screws something up. I'm restoring to the beginning again to see if multiple saves after Bank help since by normal two copies are in 1M save in case of corruption and a export is half that. So I will have to try having both updated after.

shadowofdarkness

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I figured out it has nothing to do with bank but apparently you can't restore old saves even if they were decrypted which I thought you could I found it out by this test

1: export save
2: import save (works)
3: open game move a couple steps and save
4: import same save from 2 (I get the error)

So only minor edits with the likes of pkhex can get through or you lose your save if you had saved a new version.

My main reason for getting a Gateway was for better save backup management since I thought a decrypted save was going to be the best way. Thinking even if I broke my system I could just get a new exploitable system and import the backups. Looks like that it not possible since it still has to match the file on the NAND. Which I thought savedatafiler updated when importing (I thought that was the only way people editing them would of worked)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
yeah iirc the saves are logged to prevent restoring older versions(on eshop versions of some games)........not sure if there would be a way to combine your older dump with the newer one so it will be identified as the most recent

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I just got my gateway today and team into a issue I would like to figure out what caused it. After importing with savedatafiler I get a error that the save is not compatible with this software version. What could of caused this I had previously imported the same decrypted save fine.

I'm playing legit bought eshop versions of the game with new encryption.

Everything I did after getting the gateway

1: set it up from a 9.2 sysnand basic
2: in classic mode run savedatafiler as a 3ds from the red card and backup my omega ruby save

3: play around with pkhex (don't want to chat normally just wanted to try it out)
4: import the edited save which worked great the game loaded and played
5: import the original unedited save (also worked) (I really just wanted to try hacking for fun but not actually keep anything)
6: update emunand to 9.4

7: go into my game and pickup the shiny beldum

8: store the beldum in bank (to revert save and pick up another unique iv one)
9: restore the exact same save from step 5

10: get said error. I thought maybe my encryption version ended up changing so I also tried in gateway mode but got the same error.

I do have backups and even a hard mod so I haven't lost anything but I need to understand this to not have it happen again.

Note it doesn't say the save is corrupted just not compatible
Play the ROM or cartridge. eShop versions Of X/Y/OR/AS (as well as some other games I think) have this extra security while the cartridges don't.

You should be able to import your existing save into the ROM version.

shadowofdarkness

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It is strange that some edits to the save (pkhex) can slip through.

I always assumed the nand file was a hash of the save file so when I heard people would backup with SDF then edit them and import the changed I assumed SDF updated the NAND since it is official DEV software.

Now I think maybe some random identifier is at some offset in the save that must match the NAND file. If it is then with enough work it may be possible to go to a older dump by making a current export and finding the value with a hex editor then inserting it into the older save to match the NANDs current one.

shadowofdarkness

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Play the ROM or cartridge. eShop versions Of X/Y/OR/AS (as well as some other games I think) have this extra security while the cartridges don't.

You should be able to import your existing save into the ROM version.

I would think of that but I'm heavy into TSV / ESV hatching and that is seriously easier with the digital versions. Considering I don't cheat with pkhex (just tested for fun then reverted the save like it never happened) I should just stay on digital.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1