Homebrew Saturn emulation using Cotton/Guardian Force testing and debug

tuliomoliv

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone have the NSP injected file for The Legend of Oasis / US version? I can only find the russian version on web. Thanks a lot in advance!

pinbi7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does anyone have the NSP injected file for The Legend of Oasis / US version? I can only find the russian version on web. Thanks a lot in advance!
that would break TOS ,you should look into injecting your-self

• Members may NOT ASK and MAY NOT PROVIDE INFORMATION or LINKS for and to places that provide ROM, WAD, ISO and CIA files in absolutely any way on our forum including PM (private message).

Reactions: ILuvGames

shadow256

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I've tried to investigate a little with the updates and I found one patch file but I don't know how I can apply it in the script. Maybe I should try to install one base game + the update and dump this via NXDumpTool to see what's the differences but for now I realy haven't the time to make these tests.

The game "Layer Section _ Galactic Attack'S" is also intresting, it structure is different than the Cotton compilation but it also need more time for discovering if it's realy intresting to use this particular game or not for multi-disc games.

Reactions: Rikua

lisreal2401

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The stuff I mentioned comparing the base/update is valid for all 3 games, it's nearly identical however both the .cue and .bin files do not match in hex, I could break apart the base NCA and see if there's new calls not in the first release - outside of that, I probably can't do anything else in terms of getting it to work myself

I assumed Layer Section/Galactic Attack was using the same setup - I have it on Xbox and didn't bother with the Switch version on the basis of that game being so similar. Multi disc support is a weird one, as functionally the games are identical and there's no swapping going on, it just resets the emulator

KingKrouch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm wondering, this doesn't entirely pertain to the Switch version of these Saturn compilations (Although seemingly the ROM used in the Switch release is also encrypted), but I'm currently investigating the Steam release for Cotton 2 and Boomerang, as I wanted to try and either get the fan translation working with it (As using the Steam release would be a bit more legally accessible for others to play in English than hunting down a Saturn copy and dumping a ROM for it), or at least to get the Cotton2.bin and .cue files working in an external emulator (as seemingly they added an option to play as Appli), and it looks like the .ini files and game rom is encrypted on those releases of the games as well.

Attempting to use the Switch version's decrypted INI files will result in a CreateFile error that pops up on startup after the Sunrise logo. Might be possible to throw the game in a decompiler like Ghidra and poke at it to figure out how encryption is being done, but file formats and encryption in general seems like a topic that I'm currently not suited for. Has anyone else had better luck at this?

I also kind of found it a bit weird that slow motion in this compilation seems smoother (and the flashing effects are more rapid) than using slow motion through emulation, are they doing anything funny with time dilation in this release to keep the movement looking relatively smooth?

Figured I'd ask here since y'all have gotten far enough to load custom ROMs.

pierococo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello guys, i did nsp using a software i foud on wololo and cotton candy 1 but with fullscreen and menu off. My menu has glitched graphics and is in japanese and english and text doesn't correspond to the options

Last edited by pierococo,

gamba66

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The first patch on Cotton has new encryption, from my poking around it's somewhere buried in the main code/game data is using new encryption per game.

I wanted to look at this release but sort of figured it's the same encryption/hash checking/maybe I should have waited until they fixed the lag until I said shit.
AFAIK they did not fix the lag. Due to it being based on SSF they can only bring compability updates. On the ps4 forums people mentioned that the lag was not fixed in the newest update of cotton

DarkKnightPT

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The Shining Force III issue is on ALL scenarios as well, just thought I'd let you know. Thanks for looking at those for me.
If you rewind to a point before the black screen on shining force 3 it will resume the battle with the attack and it will avoid the black screen. I've been playing by doing this. every time you have a black screen just rewind it's a workaround..

lucky13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone point me at the page no that has the latest version of USHS, I've gone through about 20 pages and still cant find a link..nothing on Google either under USHS..am I missing something obvious ?

HyperShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malta
Hey I just wanna say thanks to everyone who worked on this project ... it's long been a dream of mine to play my favourite Saturn games on switch and especially getting to make custom nsps is really nice. Has anyone managed to make one for the latest Sonic X-Treme demo from SAGE 2022? The problem is it seems to be in iso/cue format.

HyperShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malta
Also if someone here could help me out with custom wallpapers that would be awesome. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. In short so far, I used USHS to compile NiGHTS nsp with custom icon, custom config, custom texture.tex posted earlier by cucholix. All works perfectly. Again, thanks to everyone responsible.
I found a wallpaper for NiGHTS that looks great, resized it to 1280x720, dragged it onto botik's png2tex utility, renamed it to WP_GF_002.tex and kept the original WP_GF_001.tex from the guardianforce romfs folder I dumped. Somehow I got the impression from somewhere that this was necessary, but I'm not sure anymore. Any nsp I try to make with these custom tex files crashes after the first screen. Can anyone help?

shadow256

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Can anyone point me at the page no that has the latest version of USHS, I've gone through about 20 pages and still cant find a link..nothing on Google either under USHS..am I missing something obvious ?
Search Ultimate-Switch-Hack-Script, you also have a subject on Gbatemp for it.

ThePanda

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has there been an update to Saturn Tribute Decryptor (STD) posted somewhere for the latest game update? Or is that still a no go?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1