Homebrew Saturn emulation using Cotton/Guardian Force testing and debug

Zomorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Zomorph how did you get on with XvsSF? Whenever I press plus, it resets and loads from the capcom logo, can't get in-game.
I got it to work but it was pretty slow. I tried using the x-men config posted on this thread but it didn't make a difference. But maybe I set it up wrong. I decided to leave the 4mg games for now and generate the rest first - it was getting tedious and frustrating. Hoping to finish generating all the non-4mg that I want tonight or tomorrow. Then I'll tackle XvsSF again. I'm planning to start from scratch. I'll use the 2D Fighter config posted by @xYuunax . I'll also try over-clocking. Not done that yet with any NSPs. So if you wanted to try again this is what I would suggest. Will let you know how I get on.

I'll PM my copy of XvSF if you like?

Reactions: ganons

Zomorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
looking for someone who knows how to patch Castlevania Dracula X twice (if you know what i am talking about, PM)
there are 2 patches i would like to combine, or at least use one patch fully as is, and extract only the script translation from the second one and apply it

there is a good patch that doesnt have English menu or Dialog, if someone knows how tor what tools i need to extract the english translated dialog and menu and combine with another patch etc, send me a PM

View attachment 281927
i have been remaking The English Black & White Manual With Colors, (text isn't redone yet)
View attachment 281931
View attachment 281926
View attachment 281930
View attachment 281925
have done 4 Pages from the USA Instruction Manual and 4 Pages from The Japanese Manual

Also if i see these Distributed in Piarte sites with injected NSP, ill only share in Private Group

i would like help in Figuring out how to Game patche before i share the complete RomFS file for SOTN Asset Swap, Send me a PM
Wow- looks sweet! :bow:

Levine91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Zomorph @ganons I literally was testing X-Men vs Street Fighter early this morning and added it to the compatibility spread.
Basic config (w/ 4MB RAM of course) and 1581 MHz CPU Overclock had it running fine.

Also just a reminder to everyone I've been uploading new icons to my google drive, just haven't been posting them here like before.
Cleopatra Fortune, Deep Fear, Dragon Force II, Galactic Attack, Gale Racer, and a bunch more. (and more to come)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_rjVgGDuTv0KTlYIRzhtCo_LBCfJXp6i?usp=sharing

Zomorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Zomorph @ganons I literally was testing X-Men vs Street Fighter early this morning and added it to the compatibility spread.
Basic config (w/ 4MB RAM of course) and 1581 MHz CPU Overclock had it running fine.

Also just a reminder to everyone I've been uploading new icons to my google drive, just haven't been posting them here like before.
Cleopatra Fortune, Deep Fear, Dragon Force II, Galactic Attack, Gale Racer, and a bunch more. (and more to come)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_rjVgGDuTv0KTlYIRzhtCo_LBCfJXp6i?usp=sharing

That's great news. Good to know that it runs well, Just need to get it working for myself. Thanks buddy

Reactions: Levine91

ganons

Trophies
XP
Country
I had a crack with custom covers with template from cover project? I made some changes myself as JAP games have jewel cases with a gold spine and different sega saturn logo. @Levine91 some covers you have, the games are JAP only like Street Fighter Zero 3, X-Men/Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter. And @Zomorph Im gusseing you're a fellow capcom beat-emup fan?

Attachments

• SFZ3J.jpg
    SFZ3J.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 67
Last edited by ganons,
Reactions: Zomorph

Levine91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you set the overclock in the config?

No, you need to do so via sys-clk, Tesla Menu, nx-ovlloader.
You can learn more about that here.

I had a crack with custom covers with template from cover project? I made some changes myself as JAP games have jewel cases with a gold spine and different sega saturn logo. @Levine91 some covers you have, the games are JAP only like Street Fighter Zero 3, X-Men/Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter. And @Zomorph Im gusseing you're a fellow capcom beat-emup fan?

Yeah I'm aware.
It's just a personal preference. I love the NA stylization for the Saturn and wanted to give games that look, regardless of region, while maintaining a jewel case size/icon size

Reactions: ganons and Zomorph

Zomorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Whereas I'm just a bit lazy ;)

I will happily use all the excellent covers that Levine91 has created and fill the rest with some nice and easy jap covers that are already square. Here's a few more for anyone that want's to use/adapt.

Attachments

• Layer Section 2  Front.jpg
    Layer Section 2 Front.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Pocket Fighter Front.jpg
    Pocket Fighter Front.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Real Bout Fatal Fury Special Cover.jpg
    Real Bout Fatal Fury Special Cover.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 100
  • Salamander Deluxe Pack Plus.jpg
    Salamander Deluxe Pack Plus.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 95
  • Shoujo Kakumei Utena Cover.jpg
    Shoujo Kakumei Utena Cover.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Stella Assault SS Front.jpg
    Stella Assault SS Front.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 95
  • World Heroes Perfect.jpg
    World Heroes Perfect.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 68

Zomorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Absolutely brother! We are spoilt for choice on the Saturn and it's so good to have a handheld system to play these amazing games on the go :)

Levine91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whereas I'm just a bit lazy ;)

I will happily use all the excellent covers that Levine91 has created and fill the rest with some nice and easy jap covers that are already square. Here's a few more for anyone that want's to use/adapt.

I put up a Salamander one yesterday if you didn't notice.

shadow256

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't know if this has been answered before but can we be certain that Cotton2 + Boomerang + GF + Compilation share the same emulator (same build + compatibility)?
The emulators used are nearly the same, the only differences with the standalone games is the fact that you can return to the three games choice from the games for compilation, that's why I think that it will be difficult to remake NSP customized with the compilation like I've made for standalone games.

I've just pushed a new version for the script that remove some debug instructions that I had forgotten to remove and now you can customize your game save size if you want.

Last edited by shadow256,

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had trouble with this. In the end I created a new NSP base with Cotton 2. I actually used Street Fighter Zero 3 as the Saturn game for building the base.

Before you do that set-up the config file. Open it with notepad++ and change the cartridge bit near the top to "5c". Save it.
Then run the script. When asked if you want to add your own ini use the amended config file you have created. Do the rest of the script as normal. It should then work. Just make sure you delete any save games for SFZ3 on the switch.

It runs beautifully.

ps. If you don't have Cotton 2 or Boomerang then just delete the GuardianForce folder in the romfs folder and start again as above using Guardian Force
I usually use guardian force for my games, I was still going to do that after I got new prod keys because I never had the cotton games installed when I got my prod keys but using cotton as a base will save me some time. I wasn’t thinking about changing my base game. For whatever reason I figured the prod keys supposed to also have something to do with the 4mb games. You just saved me time, now I’m just going get cotton, I wasn’t thinking about cotton actually being a 4mb game. The website @cl4ssik shared shows it’s 1mb 4mb optional.

Last edited by fst312,
Reactions: Zomorph

Musgora

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I try to build an NSP with the config.ini files provided here. The games boot and work fine. They even save and load states, but when I try to change the button mapping (because the default one is very clunky) it softlocks the entire app and I have to force close it. Any idea as to why the configs aren't playing along?

Edit: Changing the language to English on the options menu and then changing the buttons seems to solve the issue, but it still makes the game waaaaay more crash prone when entering/exiting this menu. Tried to make a save state and return to the game. Softlock.

This does not happen if I don't use an ini file when building the NSP, however. I've built NSPs of Panzer Dragoon and Guardian Heroes with no config.ini files and rewind/save states/button mapping all work perfectly, so I dunno which setting in the config is making the game go haywire.

Last edited by Musgora,

ganons

Trophies
XP
Country
When you want to remove that icon on bottom left, which option do you select, (can't remember from top of my head) do you want to add textures.tex or no data texture.tex?

Zomorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reactions: fst312 and ganons

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah forgot to turn that off