Samurai Warriors impressions ?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by pachura, Apr 29, 2011.

Apr 29, 2011
  1. pachura
    OP

Member pachura GBAtemp Advanced Fan

I am considering buying SW... but:

- I've only seen screenshots of fights taking place in empty, flat, outdoor environments. Are there any indoor locations, I don't know - caves, dungeons, castles ?
    - In hack'n'slash games, you usually hit buttons very fast. So it should break the 3D, no ? I have this problem in Street Fighter - pushing buttons causes 3DS to fall out of the 3D sweet spot...

Thanks.

2. L_o_N_e_R

Member L_o_N_e_R GBAtemp Fan

United States
    im in part two of the game and from what i can tell its all outside

its not really empty, the enemies arent all shown, only the nearest(i had a good 15-20 enemies at once before... it lagged) edit: it probably was more... i dont remember lol

for the most part you'll be hammering on the X and Y keys (more on the y than anything else)
    but it doesnt have to be fast, so no worries about going out of the sweet spot

3. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    Personally I've had mixed feelings about it. The environments are generally pretty bland, they certainly don't showcase what the system is truly capable of. The story is nigh impenetrable, I've already lost track of whose side I'm supposed to be on. Hacking endless rows of minions apart is as cathartic as ever, and I love how your objective can change at a moment's notice based on how the battle is going. It's a good game, but it's not great. If a sequel gives the environments more personality and variety, and the clusterfuck of a story is cleaned up so it's always clear what your motivation is supposed to be, then it'd be a vast improvement. As it is now, I recommend not paying full price for it. Get it pre-owned or in a sale. Unless you can understand the plot, in which case go ahead.

As for the 3D, I've never had a problem with mine, but then I never have the 3D on full. I tend to keep mine at about 60% and no games cause any trouble. Pilotwings used to phase in and out of 3D on full so I turned it down a touch.

4. Langin

Member Langin GBAtemp's kpop addict

Netherlands
    If you would like, check my review in the review section!! [​IMG]

5. spiritofcat

Member spiritofcat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    There is already a 10 page thread about this game here: http://gbatemp.net/t280092-samurai-warrior-chronicles
    I really like this game, but I like most Warriors games.
    It's pretty similar to Warriors Orochi 2 on PSP in most respects.

The distance at which enemy troops become visible is fairly low, but I don't find that it bothers me much.
    There are some indoor areas in some of the maps but it doesn't really make much difference to the gamepkay, except that you can't take a horse indoors.

The story is quite convoluted and can be hard to follow at first, but that's fairly standard for Warriors games. I'm in the middle of part 3 and I understand what side I'm on and what's going on in the story now.

I haven't had any real trouble with losing the sweet spot for the 3D, and I like the extra dimension it adds to the graphics.

I'd recomend it if you've played and enjoyed a Warriors game before.

6. Zarxrax

Member Zarxrax GBAtemp Fan

United States
    In some missions there are small castle areas that you can go in, but they are a small part of the overall stage. I'm on my 2nd playthrough, and the story mostly makes sense to me now. The first time through, there are just so many characters and stuff being introduced that its very overwhelming.

The horrible draw distance when multiple characters are onscreen is the games biggest problem, IMO. But I've enjoyed this game enough to put 50+ hours into it so far, and I'm still going.

7. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Chronicles, out of the Samurai games, is the most accurate to the Sengoku period and its pretty easy to follow.

Gameplay is a love-hate relationship. You either love it or you don't.
    Note that it gets very hard during mid chapter two (on whatever difficulty suits you) but that makes it better.
    The AI is a pain in the ass. Constantly directing them to places you want them to wait (if there is no one around to fight, they will do their own thing)
    It's also not just a hack and slash game, a lot of planning and stressing out is needed.

Reviewers hate Warrior games because it's the same each time but fans still ask for more.

Anyway, I'd give this game 7/10. Go for it.

8. heartgold

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I'm with blaze I don't know whose side I'm meant to be on, the japanese voice acting doesn't help either and I'm starting to dislike it >>

9. Puppy_Washer

Member Puppy_Washer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    The game is awesome.

- Unless you are in 3D Mode, it rarely lags.
    - Sometimes enemies will appear infront of you (due to them being hidden to prevent lagging), but fortunately the radar will detect any "hidden" enemies. The game will also prioritize loading more important enemies rather than lots of weak ones.
    - The game is PACKED with unlockables and replay value.
    - There is far more depth to the game than critics let on. For example, each character has entirely different moves and strengths, and to effectively clear all missions within a level, planning is needed, and the difficulty will keep you on your toes.

10. phantastic91

Member phantastic91 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    i beat the game its pretty fun. wish there were more cutscenes though because they look cool in 3d. this is the first time i played a game like this though so maybe thats why i liked it.

the 3d didn't break on me by pressing the buttons. BUT the 3d gives ghosting during night levels sometimes and during one cutscene where the subtitles was on a dark background ( i believe this is the 3ds 3d sceen flaw ---i made a thread on this).