Hacking Official SaltFW - "Slim Alternative Firmware"

  • Thread starter Thread starter Shadowhand
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 88,070
  • Replies Replies 456
  • Likes Likes 7
Dax asked me not to post anything defending Mizuki etc... and I will respect his wishes

All I have to say is I am very disappointed this has happened and it will no longer be shared publicly
Well, no one forced him to do it (as far as I could see no one insulted him personally or things like that). I mean, even you critiqued me by saying ARN is bloated and is like Rx and so on, and so did a lot of other people. I think it's nonsense, and ARN is still there (not like I gave up).
 
Well, no one forced him to do it (as far as I could see no one insulted him personally or things like that). I mean, even you critiqued me by saying ARN is bloated and is like Rx and so on, and so did a lot of other people. I think it's nonsense, and ARN is still there (not like I gave up).

fair comment
 
  • Like
Reactions: leonmagnus99
Well, no one forced him to do it (as far as I could see no one insulted him personally or things like that). I mean, even you critiqued me by saying ARN is bloated and is like Rx and so on, and so did a lot of other people. I think it's nonsense, and ARN is still there (not like I gave up).
Offtopic: I don't remember exactly when I said this, but ARN is not even close to rxTools-level of bloated. I mean, one thing is to be streamlined and another is to be bloated.
The moment you announce D9-like features like FBI Injection and such, then I'll start to worry, until then keep up the amazing work you (and many other people) do
 
Offtopic: I don't remember exactly when I said this, but ARN is not even close to rxTools-level of bloated. I mean, one thing is to be streamlined and another is to be bloated.
The moment you announce D9-like features like FBI Injection and such, then I'll start to worry, until then keep up the amazing work you (and many other people) do
I was replying to peteruk :P
 
I was replying to peteruk :P
Freaking Chrome for Android sucks :S

By the way, I think a great feature would be some sort of patching system (a simple one, not Cakes style) where you search for a pattern in a specific FIRM section and replace it, with all of this information being loaded from a file (or an integrated one in the payload maybe?).
Don't know if it's a good idea, but at least it'd be something definitive to set it apart from ARN (if that's what you're going for, ofc. The 'special features' thing in the OP was kinda confusing)
 
As i wrote befeore i'am a USER.
I like to try things and play around with them (CFW also as tools).
But sorry if i misunderstand that again (dont think i do!) but normaly if there is a thread with a RELEASE there are questions for things that could be implemented, or things that dosn't work......and so on.
But here in MANY RELEASE threads are more spam and flaming messages and it is VERY hard to read from the first to the last page to get the information USERS need.
If someone want a discussion about what is "stolen" "not correct" or on a higher level (programming skills, code basis....and so on) IMHO there has to be another thread for that or PM's or a IRC conversation with the person i have a problem with!

Take a look at those RELEASE threads for CFW and tell me i'am wrong!
I'am the first person who say "SORRY I MAD A MISTAKE" :)

Welcome to GBATemp. This is normal. And this discussion is important. Also: Sorry, but try to put a little more work in your sentences, some of it I only understood when translating it back to German - others might have an even harder time. I know its not easy.

That's a hard question to answer: It's not completely ready for public consumption. As I told you privately as well, I wanted it to be a base for my upcoming work. But it was also a bug-free product that didn't need alpha/beta testing. So as far as the working base I had in mind goes, v1.0 is a feature-complete release. Did I want it publicly? Yes, but if I had known that the scene was full of bitter, unwelcoming people, I wouldn't have given the greenlight to @icecream.

I will continue developing SFW further, but I'm extremely disappointed in the scene.

I'm sorry you're disappointed, but this is at least partly your fault. Just remember the mess the PS3 scene was/is. Everyone who figured out how to compile a firmware did so and it was a big fat mess. I don't think we're bitter and unwelcoming but you've got to see this from our perspective: Someone released another firmware with little to no changes besides the name and promised new features for the future. You have to admit this happens all to often. Why not release when you really have something? This way it'll be easier to find collaborators and you don't offend the original authors by basically releasing their work unchanged as yours with a very tiny credit.

If and when you have something that merits releasing your own firmware - awesome, please do! But understand that "prereleases" with no improvements over the original work are all-to-often and don't help anyone.

Well, no one forced him to do it (as far as I could see no one insulted him personally or things like that). I mean, even you critiqued me by saying ARN is bloated and is like Rx and so on, and so did a lot of other people. I think it's nonsense, and ARN is still there (not like I gave up).

I still don't get how anyone could call your work bloated. It's very straight-forward. Simple config, no splash if I don't want one, no firmware.bin if I don't want one. Config only appears when I want it to - HOW is this like rxTools? Please don't give up your work, you got forking right, even credited the original author with the name and the work you're doing now with your co-authors is awesome!
 
I still don't get how anyone could call your work bloated. It's very straight-forward. Simple config, no splash if I don't want one, no firmware.bin if I don't want one. Config only appears when I want it to - HOW is this like rxTools? Please don't give up your work, you got forking right, even credited the original author with the name and the work you're doing now with your co-authors is awesome!
People asked for EmuNAND to be optional and I did that too (currently, if you have no EmuNAND and actively try to boot it, it always falls back to SysNAND. it has to read a raw SD sector to check this, but I suppose this doesn't slow down anything). So to be honest I can't see why it's being deemed as "bloated" either.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Deleted User
I love the new name :D
Especially since the abbreviation stands for something that actually makes sense given the nature of the CFW.
At first I thought the SALT team finally decided to release their CFW.
 

Site & Scene News

New Hot Discussed User Submitted