Emulator S8DS new release

FluBBa

OP
Trophies
Website
www.ndsretro.com
XP
Country
So I've tinkered with S8DS a bit again and put up a release on my GitHub.
There are probably a lot of undocumented changes since the last release so please reply with things that doesn't work or if you have some ideas of what can be refined.

https://github.com/FluBBaOfWard/S8DS/releases/tag/v1.1.7

Last edited by FluBBa,

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks FluBBa, you are on fire :)

EDIT : For SMS games, when you tap the screen, it crashes the game you're playing. I you tap on the "menu" icon it is OK.

Colleco and MSX are OK, it only happens for SMS (maybe GG but did not try).

When you try to load a game for the first time, sometimes the file explorer is corrupt. You need to go back to the main menu and try again.

EDIT 2 : some SMS games are crashing the emulator (i.e. Aladdin, AFAIR it boots with previous version but crashes after main menu, using USA/EUR rom)

Last edited by CrashMidnick,
Reactions: banjo2

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About time S8DS got a new update!
Thanks to the screen resolution of the SEGA Master System, the DS and DSi are the perfect consoles to play SMS games on!

It seems some games either stopped working in the new version, or has never booted, such as Double Dragon (SMS, known to boot in previous versions), Golden Axe (SMS), Space Harrier (SMS), and Tempo Jr. (GG).

Also, Sonic Blast uses HBlank effects, which S8DS doesn't emulate, so HBlank effects should be added to the "Missing" list.

BETA215

Member not found
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Dunno if it was like that before, but when you turn off the console some sprites won't dissapear.

Also, "Use Select As Reset" option comes disabled by default in the menu, but when you press select it resets, no matter how many times you change the setting.

And I got stuck inside a wall in Sonic 1 for SMS, I guess that's the game's fault hehe

Last edited by BETA215,

FluBBa

OP
Trophies
Website
www.ndsretro.com
XP
Country
For SMS games, when you tap the screen, it crashes the game you're playing. I you tap on the "menu" icon it is OK.
I guess I have to add an option to disable the touch points for the images ;)
Today if you touch the cartridge, power, pause or reset on the console those things works.
I will test the games that didn't work and fix that as well.

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Can you test if this version fixes the games that didn't work before? I found a bug with at least Aladdin, hopefully it was the same with the others.
Aladdin boots now (even if you cannot go in game)
Golden Axe + Space Harrier are working on my side (any region). Config : DS lite + flashcard

EDIT : those games are working on DSi by either replacing de file in Twililight menu's _nds/emulators folder or in a single folder.

Last edited by CrashMidnick,
Reactions: RocketRobz

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't reproduce the error with Golden Axe or Space Harrier...
Does it crash the emulator or only black screen and you can select other games?
Have you checked the games with SMSChecker (Windows) from the Readme? https://www.smspower.org/maxim/Software/SMSChecker
  1. Only black screen, and can enter the emulator menu to select other games.
  2. I found why they wouldn't boot. There's a 256-byte header (with the first byte varying, with the second always `01`) before the actual ROM data. Trimming them off made the games boot now.

Reactions: CrashMidnick

EvilJagaGenius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know if it's possible to convert this to a .cia that can be launched from the 3DS' home menu? GodMode9 isn't giving me the option. It'd be convenient to have it on the home menu alongside all the other emulators.

EDIT: Is FM audio now supported? The YM2413 option made me think it was but I'm having trouble getting it to play. I'm using the Aladdin bugfix build and I'm trying both Ys patched for FM music and the Phantasy Star retranslation. Do I need to set up BIOS files or something to get FM audio to work?

If FM audio works though, it'd be really cool if you could get speech samples working too. The Madou Monogatari/Sorcery Saga games would benefit a ton from it.

Last edited by EvilJagaGenius,

BETA215

Member not found
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Does anyone know if it's possible to convert this to a .cia that can be launched from the 3DS' home menu? GodMode9 isn't giving me the option. It'd be convenient to have it on the home menu alongside all the other emulators.

EDIT: Is FM audio now supported? The YM2413 option made me think it was but I'm having trouble getting it to play. I'm using the Aladdin bugfix build and I'm trying both Ys patched for FM music and the Phantasy Star retranslation. Do I need to set up BIOS files or something to get FM audio to work?

If FM audio works though, it'd be really cool if you could get speech samples working too. The Madou Monogatari/Sorcery Saga games would benefit a ton from it.
Follow these instructions (https://wiki.ds-homebrew.com/ds-index/forwarders) and you'll have it on your home menu 😉

Reactions: RocketRobz

FluBBa

OP
Trophies
Website
www.ndsretro.com
XP
Country
V1.1.4 Released.
* Reverted a GG_IO optimization.
* Fixed TV noise graphics after Power off.
* Fixed file extension checking.
* Fixed menu glitch if loading game directly.
* Fixed pause on older Sega machines.
* Better selection of machines.

https://github.com/FluBBaOfWard/S8DS/releases/tag/v1.1.4

avery217

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you FluBBa for this new release! Would it be possible to fix the 'freezing' after a Colecovision state save is loaded?
I am using a Nintendo DS Lite with an R4 3DS flash card. The state saves have never worked properly when running Colecovision games. The 'state save' appears to work fine, but always freezes on the 'state load'. Thanks

Reactions: banjo2 and FluBBa

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."