Gaming Running homebrew and/or emulators?

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
If that stock PSP happens to be a phat PSP and happens to have the magic 1.50 firmware, which you'd pay a large premium for, yes. Just get a Pandora's Battery, $10>$50+ for a old PSP with 1.50.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Pandora's Battery lets you install Custom Firmware to replace Sony's Firmware. Custom Firmware can run homebrew/emulation programs very easily. It can also run PSP Images (ISO/CSO) off the Memory Stick Pro Duo, although this is only legal if you own the original UMD games. EDIT: Btw, when I say Custom Firmware, I mean that you are softmodding the PSP. There are no physical changes to the PSP, just the firmware in the PSP's built in memory. If you break the PSP and want to use the warranty, using a Pandora can also let you install Official Firmware, thus keeping your warranty still intact (they won't fix it if they find CFW on it).

For reference, PSX emulation is built in using POPSLoader (no additional program required), SNES emulation is through Snes9x TYL, N64 through Daedalus (doesn't work too well with nearly all N64 games unable to run at all), and it's also capable of GBA emulation although I don't know what program does it (I use DS for GBA games because DS is flawless whilst PSP is only emulated).

If you want to know how to install CFW/use a Pandora/find these emulation homebrew, then check the stickies. Any other questions, try the search function. If you can't find an answer, feel free to ask us.
biggrin.gif

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm...but without installing custom firmware, it's not possible to use emulators and homebrew on the PSP? I ask because I'll be purchasing one of the newer-model PSPs (3000) when it releases, and though I don't really feel the need to play downloaded ROMs, I would still like to tinker with homebrew and such, if possible. Of course, I'm aware of restrictions already on current model Slims, so I don't expect to be able to make the kind of changes you're referring to.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Homebrew capability on Official Firmware was only ever possible on version 1.5 on the PSP Phat. After that, they remembered to put in security to block all such programs from running, mainly to prevent the ability to run downloaded games. It's actually legal to create and run homebrew, as it doesn't infringe on any copyright that is found in games (homebrew isn't piracy).

All models of PSP 1000 (Phat) and most versions of PSP 2000 (Slim) can have CFW flashed onto it via the Pandora method. The only exception to this is the latest motherboard found in the latest Slims, although you should see other topics for details about that (I'm not too sure personally). All PSP 3000s will have this type of un-Pandorable motherboard, so it will be some time until a method to get CFW on them is found.

Otherwise, the only restriction on the Slim in terms of homebrew capability is the fact that it cannot run 1.5 kernal, only 3.xx kernal and above. 1.5 kernal is only available for the PSP Phat.

psywolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well I guess I'll use this topic cause my question is similiar

hope you don't mind

but can i walk into a walmart today and pick up a psp go home and start tinkering with it to get homebrew and psx and snes working on it ?

this xmas i get a 20% discount so i'm using it on a psp

whoa I just read some stickys
you have to open your battery and screw with it? if so i guess i'll never homebrew my psp

sucks cause i really wanted a better snes emulator cause the one on the ds isn't that great

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
There are 2 methods to turning a normal PSP battery into a Pandora battery. Hardmodding, and softmodding. The alternative is to buy a Pandora (such as the Datel TOOL).

Hardmodding is as you just discovered - opening up the battery, cutting one of the wires, and you're done. Hardmodded batteries are Pandoras that can't be reverted, except by using some graphite (pencil lead) or something like a copper wire to bridge the gap you just made. This is one option available if you have 2 batteries but only 1 PSP.

If you only have access to 1 PSP (as in, your friends don't have PSP or at least not with CFW), most here would say it's best to just buy the Datel TOOL. It's a Pandora battery you can buy fairly cheaply, and doesn't require cutting up your own battery.

If you have a friend/relative who owns a PSP with CFW on it, you can simply use their PSP to softmod your battery. That means replacing the tiny bit of code in the battery (I believe it was called IPL, although I forget) with that of a service battery (Pandora). The programs to do this usually have an option to backup the battery's IPL so you can revert it to normal later. A Pandora battery will force the PSP to enter "service mode" on startup (if it's bricked or working fine, it will always enter service mode so you can install CFW or OFW). From service mode, you can install CFW from the magic memory stick, and once you're done, you can use the same program used to create the Pandora battery to turn it back into a normal battery.

This is called softmodding because it only deals with software, and is completely reversible. If you follow the instructions (which isn't hard - Desparter del Cementario offers a step-by-step walkthrough - takes minutes to complete), then nothing can go wrong. The only exception to this is the TA-088v3 motherboard, which is currently unhackable. There are other topics for information on this, but only the very latest batches of PSP Slims will have this motherboard.

EDIT: Once you've got CFW on your PSP, then you can run homebrew, emulation homebrew, etc, to your heart's content.

Tikker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
psywolf said:
whoa I just read some stickys
you have to open your battery and screw with it? if so i guess i'll never homebrew my psp

read more of the stickies

just buy a $10 pandora/tool battery from dealextreme.com

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*