Hacking Running EmuNAND up to 9.4 without FlashCard?

D

Deleted User

I've been waiting for things to settle down before getting a Gateway or CFW, so bear with me here, but you're basically discussing a "brick-proof" cfw using an emulated firmware placed in the sd card (emunand / classic mode I assume?), as in only soft bricks can happen and you can just reformat the sd card if it does?

Has anyone tested/can test if MT card 2.3 launcher allows for 9.4 emunand?

Can confirm that emuNAND 9.4 works with MT-Card 2.3 without any card inserted. (In Classic Mode)

D

Deleted User

Can you use the MT Card Launcher with the Gateway browser exploit?

I believe you can only use it with the browser exploit on 4.1-4.5 as it uses different later-stage exploits than Gateway 3.0. (like how Gateway Launcher versions <3.0 don't work with later firmware versions)

Would this work, theoretically, without any flashcart at all?

Only a DS Flashcart for installing the DS Profile exploit if you don't want to use the Gateway browser exploit. Downgrade to 4.x using the Gateway browser exploit, install the DS Profile exploit if you don't want to use the browser exploit, use either the Gateway or MT-Card launchers to format the SD Card for emuNAND (or if you already have one setup, use that one), and use the MT-Card launcher to launch emuNAND.

Codename

GREEN BRO IS BEST BRO
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can you use the MT Card Launcher with the Gateway browser exploit?

I haven't tried, but I think that the browser exploit is only compatible with Gateway 3.0+ at the moment.
Can confirm that emuNAND 9.4 works with MT-Card 2.3 without any card inserted. (In Classic Mode)
Could we use emuNAND 9.4 on (a downgraded) 4.x firmware *without any 3DS mode flashcards*?

D

Deleted User

Caught your post a bit late, but I edited my previous post with a response and minimal instructions.

Raugo

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I haven't tried, but I think that the browser exploit is only compatible with Gateway 3.0+ at the moment.

Could we use emuNAND 9.4 on (a downgraded) 4.x firmware *without any 3DS mode flashcards*?

Yes, but only in classic mode so you can not run backups or install cias

Reactions: Gandoro

Codename

GREEN BRO IS BEST BRO
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Well that's fine with me because I just want to be able to play on my DS flashcard, which doesn't support anything past 4.x, and I would like to be able to access the eShop (which I would do with a 9.4 EmuNAND) and play some of my newer 3DS games.

I just injected a clean NAND.bin of my downgraded SysNAND into my EmuNAND (using the EmuNAND tool) and I put the MTCard 2.3 Launcher.dat on my 3DS's SD Card. I booted into EmuNAND and now I'm updating it to 9.4. I'll tell you guys if it boots or not (once it finishes updating.)

Codename

GREEN BRO IS BEST BRO
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok, looks like it's working. I thought it wasn't gonna boot into EmuNAND 9.4, but eventually it did. No 3DS mode flashcarts necessary. The only issue I'm having is that the EmuNAND keeps on freezing and then I have to reboot. I think it's just my problem, either due to my SD Card not being fast enough or due to me not having properly wiped the data after switching from CFW EmuNAND (which would freeze up in the same way) to EmuNAND 9.4. Try it for yourselves; the only risk is a bit of a waste of your time.

Has anyone tried using the MT Card Launcher using the browser exploit?
I tried the Browser exploit with the MT Card launcher.dat on my SD Card and the 3DS just shot out an error message.

Chaldron

GBATemp's Official Attorney
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, looks like it's working. I thought it wasn't gonna boot into EmuNAND 9.4, but eventually it did. No 3DS mode flashcarts necessary. The only issue I'm having is that the EmuNAND keeps on freezing and then I have to reboot. I think it's just my problem, either due to my SD Card not being fast enough or due to me not having properly wiped the data after switching from CFW EmuNAND (which would freeze up in the same way) to EmuNAND 9.4. Try it for yourselves; the only risk is a bit of a waste of your time.

I tried the Browser exploit with the MT Card launcher.dat on my SD Card and the 3DS just shot out an error message.

So, we can have a 4.5 sysNAND and a 9.4 emuNand without a GW? Can we install any CIAs to the emuNand?

I'd appreciate a (short)write up of the steps you followed, it wouldn't be great if I accidentally updated my NAND to 9.4. Thank you very much!

Gandoro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So, we can have a 4.5 sysNAND and a 9.4 emuNand without a GW? Can we install any CIAs to the emuNand?

I'd appreciate a (short)write up of the steps you followed, it wouldn't be great if I accidentally updated my NAND to 9.4. Thank you very much!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong:

Seems like you can have 4.5 sysNand + 9.4 emuNand without a GW, BUT without a GW you can only boot classic emunand which does not support cia's/roms/anything basically since it mimics a legit 3ds.
If somebody can figure out a way to boot normal emuNand that accepts cia's without a GW/3ds cart then flashcarts won't be needed (at least while 9.4 is the latest fw).

D

Deleted User

Assuming you're already on 4.5.

1. Download the MT-Card launcher.
2. Put the "BlueCard" MT_INSTALLER.NDS on a DS flashcart and run it to install the DS profile exploit.
3. If you already have an emuNAND setup on your SD card and don't want a new one, skip this step. Backup any data on your SD card as formatting emuNAND will delete it.
3. Put the MT-Card Launcher.dat on your SD card. Put it in your 3DS and go to System Settings -> Other Settings -> Profile -> Nintendo DS Profile. The MT-Card menu will show up.
4. If you already have an emuNAND setup on your SD card and don't want a new one, skip this step. In the MT-Card menu, choose "Format emuNAND". Wait for it to complete. If you backed up data from your SD card earlier, you can turn off the 3DS, put the SD card in your computer, copy the data back onto the card, reinsert it into the 3DS, and relaunch the MT-Card menu.
5. Now, choose the option to launch Classic Mode. It will tell you that without an MT-Card inserted, you will have limited features, but you can ignore this and press A.
6. You will now be on 4.5 emuNAND. You can verify this by entering System Settings and checking for "MT3D" in the version. From here, you can update the emuNAND to 9.4.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Exiting the System Settings will put you back in sysNAND. Be VERY careful not to accidentally update sysNAND! I personally removed all Internet configurations from my sysNAND to make sure that I couldn't accidentally download the update on sysNAND.

This will get you 9.4 emuNAND, although you won't be able to use CIA files and what not.

Codename

GREEN BRO IS BEST BRO
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Yes, you can have a 4.x SysNAND and a 9.4 EmuNAND without a 3DS-mode flashcard. No, you cannot install CIAs to EmuNAND 9.x at the moment. If you want to install CIAs and pirate, without owning a 3DS-mode flashcard, then you have to install the 4.x CFW EmuNAND (which allows installation of CIAs because it has modified code.) CFW (custom firmware) for firmwares higher than 4.x is not too far out of reach, though it would require someone with expertise. I don't know much else about it, but I would think that one would need to decrypt their NAND, extract parts of the firmware, and reverse-engineer some stuff to change some code. Anyways, back to the subject, here's a little guide to get EmuNAND 9.4 up and running without a 3DS-mode flashcard (but you must have a DS-mode flashcard), assuming that you've already downgraded your firmware using a downgrade pack from the Gateway website:

Download the newest MT Card firmware "MT card Hardware Ver2.0 & Software V2.3" from here. Extract the archive and put the Launcher.dat on the root directory of your 3DS's SD Card. If you haven't already, make a copy of all the files on your 3DS SD Card and put them somewhere safe (on a computer or other form of storage.)

To use the MT Card 2.3 Launcher, you must have a DS-mode flashcard so you can install the DS Profile mode exploit (which is necessary at the moment because MT Card does not yet support the Browser exploit.) Extract the BlueCard.rar inside the MT Card firmware archive and put the file MT_INSTALLER.nds on your DS flashcart's micro SD Card. Run the MT_INSTALLER.nds on your 3DS using the DS flashcart. You'll have to run it to reinstall the DS Profile mode exploit after every time that you play a DS game, because it resets the DS Profile mode when you play a DS game.

Launch the DS Profile mode exploit by holding the L button when going to Settings > Other Settings > Profile > Nintendo DS Profile . The exploit will launch and you'll be brought to the MT Card menu. Navigate to "Format EmuNAND", which will wipe everything on your SD Card in order to create a copy of your SysNAND on your SD Card.

Once that's done, navigate to "Classic Mode" button and you should be booted into your EmuNAND. Once you're in, you have to update it. Enter the Settings app and make sure the system firmware version is preceded by "MT3D" (which means for sure that you're running the EmuNAND.) Go do a System Update in the Settings app. Once done, reboot the system. If it hangs on a black screen, hold the power button. When the EmuNAND reboots, you may be kicked back out to the SysNAND, in which case you can just do launch the DS Profile mode exploit and boot into Classic Mode once again. If all goes well, you should eventually (you may have to wait a few minutes) boot into a 9.4 EmuNAND. Congrats!

Chaldron

GBATemp's Official Attorney
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

2. Put the "BlueCard" MT_INSTALLER.NDS on a DS flashcart and run it to install the DS profile exploit.
3. If you already have an emuNAND setup on your SD card and don't want a new one, skip this step. Backup any data on your SD card as formatting emuNAND will delete it.
3. Put the MT-Card Launcher.dat on your SD card. Put it in your 3DS and go to System Settings -> Other Settings -> Profile -> Nintendo DS Profile. The MT-Card menu will show up.
4. If you already have an emuNAND setup on your SD card and don't want a new one, skip this step. In the MT-Card menu, choose "Format emuNAND". Wait for it to complete. If you backed up data from your SD card earlier, you can turn off the 3DS, put the SD card in your computer, copy the data back onto the card, reinsert it into the 3DS, and relaunch the MT-Card menu.
5. Now, choose the option to launch Classic Mode. It will tell you that without an MT-Card inserted, you will have limited features, but you can ignore this and press A.
6. You will now be on 4.5 emuNAND. You can verify this by entering System Settings and checking for "MT3D" in the version. From here, you can update the emuNAND to 9.4.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Exiting the System Settings will put you back in sysNAND. Be VERY careful not to accidentally update sysNAND! I personally removed all Internet configurations from my sysNAND to make sure that I couldn't accidentally download the update on sysNAND.

This will get you 9.4 emuNAND, although you won't be able to use CIA files and what not.

Interesting, thank you very much.

Codename

GREEN BRO IS BEST BRO
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Oops, you beat me to it!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I went to a garage sell last saturday, and the lady had a PS2 for sale, but she had a sign on it...