Homebrew Running a second 3DS

Rayder44

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked, and if it’s not the right section. I’ve been researching CFW and Homebrew for a few weeks and I’m slowly learning, but I have a particular situation and I’m not sure if what I want can be done.

I have a N3DSXL which is currently stock and I plan to keep that way. I’m going to buy one of the Pokémon VC games (or more, maybe).

What I want to do is get a second 3DS and load it up with CFW and Homebrew, and transfer my VC games to it and play on there as well, but keep everything on my first console un modded.

I’d like to move my SD card between the two and continue my progress on both machines. Reasoning is I’d like to use a modded 3DS to stream content to a larger display (among other uses as well), but use a stock machine to do my online stuff and use Pokémon Bank without the risk of getting banned.

Is this possible?

Last edited by Rayder44,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
  1. The ban risk is minimal unless you do stupid things like cheating online or playing leaked games before release.
  2. I don't know if JKSM can extract/import the saves of Pokemon VC games without cfw. Maybe userland homebrew is enough to share progress with another console.
  3. Using the same SD on both devices is not an easy task, especially if one system is unhacked. (And not a good idea in my opinion)
Dumping your bought games without hacking the 3DS is possible, but requires an ntrboot compatible flashcart. You would have to start GodMode9 with ntrboot. Then you can use all of it's functions without writing to the NAND at all -- keeping the console completely unmodified.

The only other alternative is illegal (but somewhat understandable even if you are against "piracy" like me): Buying the game(s) on the non-hacked console and downloading the CIA file from ROM site(s) for the hacked one. (Don't ask for ROM sites here, it's against the rules!)

Simply hacking your current system is considered safe, but I understand your wish as I have a 3DS system I never want to modify too (for different reason though).

Reactions: lAkdaOpeKA

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked, and if it’s not the right section. I’ve been researching CFW and Homebrew for a few weeks and I’m slowly learning, but I have a particular situation and I’m not sure if what I want can be done.

I have a N3DSXL which is currently stock and I plan to keep that way. I’m going to buy one of the Pokémon VC games (or more, maybe).

What I want to do is get a second 3DS and load it up with CFW and Homebrew, and transfer my VC games to it and play on there as well, but keep everything on my first console un modded.

I’d like to move my SD card between the two and continue my progress on both machines. Reasoning is I’d like to use a modded 3DS to stream content to a larger display (among other uses as well), but use a stock machine to do my online stuff and use Pokémon Bank without the risk of getting banned.

Is this possible?
If your main worry is getting banned, you're good with a single system. If you don't do anything stupid, the risk is basically non-existent

Rayder44

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thanks for the replies, you've settles some of my fears. I'm still considering getting a second 3DS for backup purposes in case it bricks or dies or something, not sure just yet. My purpose is just to unlock functionality and I have no interest in game hacks or cheats, so sounds like I should be fine. Thanks :)

I've recently bought an R4 card which I haven't used yet, so that should get me started.

Last edited by Rayder44,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
You can't use the same SD card on both systems, unless you do the following:
  1. Buy the games on the modded console
  2. Make a NAND and SD card backup of modded console
  3. Do a system transfer from modded to unmodded (can't be modded = new system and unmodded = old system or you can't transfer)
  4. Restore the NAND backup on the modded console (and never connect to the eShop or any Nintendo services - or your content will be wiped)
  5. Now you can move the same SD card back and forth
However I think virtual console games store their saves on the rom, not the SD card (someone can correct me if I am wrong here), so you won't be able to continue on either console by just moving the SD card back and forth. You'd only be able to do this with normal 3DS games.

Reactions: SCOTT0852

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
You can't use the same SD card on both systems, unless you do the following:
  1. Buy the games on the modded console
  2. Make a NAND and SD card backup of modded console
  3. Do a system transfer from modded to unmodded (can't be modded = new system and unmodded = old system or you can't transfer)
  4. Restore the NAND backup on the modded console (and never connect to the eShop or any Nintendo services - or your content will be wiped)
  5. Now you can move the same SD card back and forth
However I think virtual console games store their saves on the rom, not the SD card (someone can correct me if I am wrong here), so you won't be able to continue on either console by just moving the SD card back and forth. You'd only be able to do this with normal 3DS games.
About VC games, ALL VC games save on the SD card with only exceptions being GBA (stored internally in AGB_firm) and NDS (stored on cartridge/TWL if official or SD card ONLY if through nds-bootstrap in which case they are saved decrypted so no point for JKSM).

As for OP, the 3DS encrypts everything written from the system to the SD card with a SYSTEM-SPECIFIC key, meaning moving the SD card to another system makes all files unusable. That in turn means you will have to dump saves, then import them back in every time you change systems, on top of having to have EVERY game you plan to play installed TWICE on the same SD card. Sure, you can follow Quantum's advice, but that could always end up with problems, especially NNID-related ones and even higher risk of ban if you connect online using NNID with the system you shouldn't go online with. Bans are VERY unlikely to happen and even if you were to get banned from regular online, you can easily unban yourself with a new LFCS, whereas NNID bans and the like aren't that easy to get past. Don't play leaked games online and don't cheat, besides that, do whatever you want, be it pirating and whatnot, don't worry too much.

PS: Also, since you already have a N3DS and not an O3DS, don't waste your money, get CFW on the one you have. However, if you choose to get 2nd one, go for N2DS as it allows you to stream at higher framerates (no 3D lets it use the excess power for streaming).

HelpTheWretched

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PS: Also, since you already have a N3DS and not an O3DS, don't waste your money, get CFW on the one you have. However, if you choose to get 2nd one, go for N2DS as it allows you to stream at higher framerates (no 3D lets it use the excess power for streaming).
Hijacking the thread just to ask: Would one get the same streaming framerates on a N3DS with the 3D turned off? Or is a portion of the processing power still allocated to 3D even when it's turned off?

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hijacking the thread just to ask: Would one get the same streaming framerates on a N3DS with the 3D turned off? Or is a portion of the processing power still allocated to 3D even when it's turned off?
No, regardless of on or off, the N3DS ALWAYS uses the same resources for the 3D feature, it basically has a dedicated CPU core, which is present but unused on N2DS, meaning it gets to use that core for some better FPS (like a stable 60).

Reactions: HelpTheWretched

Rayder44

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
No, regardless of on or off, the N3DS ALWAYS uses the same resources for the 3D feature, it basically has a dedicated CPU core, which is present but unused on N2DS, meaning it gets to use that core for some better FPS (like a stable 60).

Is this true even for games that don't use 3D at all, such as the Pokemon titles?

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Are you sure? Games lag less with the 3D turned off, meaning it renders less stuff with the 3D off

HelpTheWretched

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Cool, wouldn't have figured that!

Are you sure? Games lag less with the 3D turned off, meaning it renders less stuff with the 3D off
Correct, but they can both be true. Think of it like, on a N3DS, there's a CPU core on "standby" for when you want 3D. On a N2DS, it's just sitting there, waiting for homebrew to tap into it. :P

Reactions: ThoD

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If I'm not mistaken, the Pokemon games – even the VC ones – all have Anti Savegame Restore, meaning you will not be able to simply toss an SD card from one system to another, even if you can get the encryption keys sorted out. Messing with NAND backups and so on is a bit of a waste of time in that regard.

You can still export the save game on one system using Checkpoint or JKSM and restore it on the other to transfer it, though. (I'm not sure if userland JKSM is enough for that or not either. I'm guessing it might be?)

Reactions: Itzumi

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Is this true even for games that don't use 3D at all, such as the Pokemon titles?
The CPU core is dedicated to 3D, so on or off still uses it at least a bit. I'm not saying it makes a massive difference, but it can get you like ~6 more frames on N2DS since the core goes completely unused, therefore can be dedicated to streaming. Many games stream at stable good FPS as is on N3DS, just N2DS lets you get stable streaming on even games that would otherwise get framedrops. Not that sure about TEGRA games though (eg: the Monster Hunter games 3U-XX), as most streaming homebrew don't support them (eg: NTR supports them but HzMod doesn't).

If I'm not mistaken, the Pokemon games – even the VC ones – all have Anti Savegame Restore, meaning you will not be able to simply toss an SD card from one system to another, even if you can get the encryption keys sorted out. Messing with NAND backups and so on is a bit of a waste of time in that regard.

You can still export the save game on one system using Checkpoint or JKSM and restore it on the other to transfer it, though. (I'm not sure if userland JKSM is enough for that or not either. I'm guessing it might be?)
There's no such thing as "anti savegame restore", but there are things that may happen if you save-edit like getting stuck in the Pokemon center on S/M. However, those aren't from backing up and restoring saves, it's from the save editor itself triggering flags in the code that made the save be read as "edited", therefore letting the anti-cheat system get you stuck. However, that has LONG since been fixed (was a PkHex issue only), simply backing up saves and restoring them is perfectly safe for any game.

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Cool, wouldn't have figured that!

Correct, but they can both be true. Think of it like, on a N3DS, there's a CPU core on "standby" for when you want 3D. On a N2DS, it's just sitting there, waiting for homebrew to tap into it. :P

The CPU core is dedicated to 3D, so on or off still uses it at least a bit. I'm not saying it makes a massive difference, but it can get you like ~6 more frames on N2DS since the core goes completely unused, therefore can be dedicated to streaming. Many games stream at stable good FPS as is on N3DS, just N2DS lets you get stable streaming on even games that would otherwise get framedrops. Not that sure about TEGRA games though (eg: the Monster Hunter games 3U-XX), as most streaming homebrew don't support them (eg: NTR supports them but HzMod doesn't).

AFAIK that's not true, the N3DS has 4 cores, one of which is reserved to the OS and the other 3 to the game regardless of 3D, it wouldn't make much sense to have it lying around doing nothing when 3D is off.
But I could simply be wrong, I'll look more into this (if you can link something it would be appreciated :P)

Reactions: plug313

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
AFAIK that's not true, the N3DS has 4 cores, one of which is reserved to the OS and the other 3 to the game regardless of 3D, it wouldn't make much sense to have it lying around doing nothing when 3D is off.
But I could simply be wrong, I'll look more into this (if you can link something it would be appreciated :P)
It's stated in HzMod's page for one: https://gbatemp.net/threads/hzmod-old3ds-screen-streaming.469817/
Even when on "standby" for 3D with the slider "off", it's still running, so it can't be used fully. Sono wrote HzMod so that on N2DS it can use that core exclusively for streaming rather than part of it. Other streaming homebrews do it too, but biggest difference between models is achieved with HzMod so I'm using this one as reference. Basically, assuming you are using HzMod (which btw is a JOKE to use compared to others), best you can get out of N3DS is 63FPS, while on N2DS it would be more like 70 or so, making for smoother recording (cap is 60 after all so no framedrops). Again, I do NOT know how TEGRA games will perform though regardless of model or homebrew, mainly because those games don't work well with non-capture card streaming.

Reactions: lAkdaOpeKA

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's stated in HzMod's page for one: https://gbatemp.net/threads/hzmod-old3ds-screen-streaming.469817/
Even when on "standby" for 3D with the slider "off", it's still running, so it can't be used fully. Sono wrote HzMod so that on N2DS it can use that core exclusively for streaming rather than part of it. Other streaming homebrews do it too, but biggest difference between models is achieved with HzMod so I'm using this one as reference. Basically, assuming you are using HzMod (which btw is a JOKE to use compared to others), best you can get out of N3DS is 63FPS, while on N2DS it would be more like 70 or so, making for smoother recording (cap is 60 after all so no framedrops). Again, I do NOT know how TEGRA games will perform though regardless of model or homebrew, mainly because those games don't work well with non-capture card streaming.
Interesting, I wonder if that process can somehow be killed in order to free up the core and increase performance.

I also wonder if that affects performance of other homebrews, like emulators (a good one for testing would be PCSX-ReARMed)

Last edited by lAkdaOpeKA,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's no such thing as "anti savegame restore"
What, you think 3dbrew made the whole thing up? You think https://gbatemp.net/threads/antisav...value-updater-ps-acnl-prw-ssb-xy-oras.396644/ and https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-savegame-manager-plugin-for-ntr-1-0-2-0.384865/ are just snake oil? I've run into this problem myself!

simply backing up saves and restoring them is perfectly safe for any game
If you mean backing up with JKSM or Checkpoint, then that is true because JKSM and Checkpoint are written to compensate for these things. If you mean copy-pasting the encrypted data on the SD card, then no, that is only safe for most games.

Last edited by Kwyjor,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
There's no such thing as "anti savegame restore", but there are things that may happen if you save-edit like getting stuck in the Pokemon center on S/M. However, those aren't from backing up and restoring saves, it's from the save editor itself triggering flags in the code that made the save be read as "edited", therefore letting the anti-cheat system get you stuck. However, that has LONG since been fixed (was a PkHex issue only), simply backing up saves and restoring them is perfectly safe for any game.
False. There is a unique ID written to the save and to the console to avoid restoring older backups in order to clone things etc, and if they don't match the game will refuse the save. Many games make use of it.
Save editors these days will automatically fix the unique ID though.
Hi all,

Is this possible?
You can use the same SD card on two consoles by taking the movable.sed of your main console and injecting it on the second console along with all the game tickets. You will have to hack the main console to do this though.

The ban risk is miniscule these days, it's almost 0%. There haven't been any bans in a long time and even when there were people getting banned it was for obvious things like using public headers, public LFCS_B, cheating online and playing leaked games online early. I have heard no solid confirmation that anyone ever got banned for any other reason - there were some bans for unknown reasons, during a short time frame, it's not unlikely that these people did something dumb to get banned, but even so, there haven't been any bans since then, and the 3DS is mostly dead, so I wouldn't expect them to start banning everyone all of a sudden.
If you're really paranoid then run all your homebrew in Rosalina injected to a legit app, and if you need to run CIA homebrew or VC injects only do it while offline, and launch another app before you go back online, so the info about the running homebrew app is never sent to Nintendo. As far as we know that's the only way they can tell. But I basically did everything you're not supposed to do - I had my favorite title set to a homebrew app, I never disabled sending of data (although current/last app data is sent regardless of that setting so it probably doesn't matter) and I ran CIA homebrew while online all the time and I'm still not banned. Only a small number of users were actually banned.

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
What, you think 3dbrew made the whole thing up? You think https://gbatemp.net/threads/antisav...value-updater-ps-acnl-prw-ssb-xy-oras.396644/ and https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-savegame-manager-plugin-for-ntr-1-0-2-0.384865/ are just snake oil? I've run into this problem myself!

If you mean backing up with JKSM or Checkpoint, then that is true because JKSM and Checkpoint are written to compensate for these things. If you mean copy-pasting the encrypted data on the SD card, then no, that is only safe for most games.
False. There is a unique ID written to the save and to the console to avoid restoring older backups in order to clone things etc, and if they don't match the game will refuse the save. Many games make use of it.
Save editors these days will automatically fix the unique ID though.
Alright, did some more search into it. Seems that while it does exist, but all main save managers have implemented ways to bypass it since years ago. Thanks for correcting me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1