Hacking Running a pictochat rom on a 3DS?

EthanObi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i found the site but...its a rom. so....not going to post it sadly =\ it is working for me on 3DS. :P using pictochat as we speak
Excuse me, but what rom do you have? From a game, or the firmware.nds?
Firmware.NDS.

since everyone seems to have a working firmware.nds care to explain how you got it to work on a 3ds
i got it working on my 3ds by setting up ds profile settings to be exact replicas of first startup DS Lites, (greyish border and no message) then putting the firmware.NDS file on my DSTWO, and starting it, didnt have
to configure settings when i started it, it just loaded, also you may try running the ds download play Built into your 3DS, (just start it then exit, then use the DSTWO)

emmanu888

6 years and still going strong
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i found the site but...its a rom. so....not going to post it sadly =\ it is working for me on 3DS. :P using pictochat as we speak
Firmware.NDS.

since everyone seems to have a working firmware.nds care to explain how you got it to work on a 3ds
i got it working on my 3ds by setting up ds profile settings to be exact replicas of first startup DS Lites, (greyish border and no message) then putting the firmware.NDS file on my DSTWO, and starting it, didnt have
to configure settings when i started it, it just loaded, also you may try running the ds download play Built into your 3DS, (just start it then exit, then use the DSTWO)

well that does not work at all i even set up the ds profile and runnig ds download play it just want me to configure it

gundalf

Trophies
XP
Country
The official legal way would be to get a copy of 52-Game Classics.

42 All time classics is NOT pictochat

It is a messaging tool yes, but is not compatible with pictochat itself

Although yes, it is a alternative, has more effects and can run through download play

Go to Game Settings, tick Pictochat compatibility and there you go.

Just for the record, Pictochat was supposed to be used by different games,
even by 3rd Party. Well Nintendo's idea was that people can chat with each
other independently from the currently running game, but yeah,why Pictochat
in first place if people are probably playing in the same room anyway? And so it
never took off.

EthanObi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Firmware.NDS.

well that does not work at all i even set up the ds profile and runnig ds download play it just want me to configure it
it may have to do with other things, im not U2D with 3DS firmware, and it works fine for me, may be different for people who are U2D.

warmo161

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Although yes, it is a alternative, has more effects and can run through download play

in first place if people are probably playing in the same room anyway? And so it
never took off.

I've found no option anywhere on my game about pictochat compatibility, but there is a pictochat search option, I may have said this before tough

I have tried the firmware.nds file and it works on my M3 real, I'm just waiting for my DSTwo. Could be any day now!

emmanu888

6 years and still going strong
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

never took off.

I've found no option anywhere on my game about pictochat compatibility, but there is a pictochat search option, I may have said this before tough

I have tried the firmware.nds file and it works on my M3 real, I'm just waiting for my DSTwo. Could be any day now!

what ! what im doing wrong to get on the config screen instead of the ds menu ? i already configured the ds profile on my 3ds

warmo161

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think the 3DS does have PictoChat.
If you don't know what you're talking about, I'd recommend not talking.
He knows what he's talking about, he's referring to Swapnote.
Swapnote is nothing like Pictochat.
Swapnote is revolting.

Another nintendo product that we will all use, we will stop using everything else just to scribble down notes and wait an age for them to send!

At least its better than the messaging on the wii

warmo161

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

never took off.

what ! what im doing wrong to get on the config screen instead of the ds menu ? i already configured the ds profile on my 3ds

I finally got my DSTwo the other day and I think I know why the firmware.nds file doesnt work

It works when you run it through a DSi but not a 3DS

On the 3DS it goes through the setup asking for your name, birthday etc and after that it turns the console off

BUT

I did find out that after rushing through the setup, in the 3DS settings the nickname for my console as 111111 and the 3DS nickname was Warmo like normal, it seems that it is trying to write to the consoles memory but on a 3DS although there are DS options, nickname is not there, I would guess one setting affects both, but running the firmware file changes one, I think it also affects other info like birthday and colour but I haven't properly tested it, and I don't really want to

Deleted member 282441

AKA ZeroTheSavior
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Intrestin

never took off.

I finally got my DSTwo the other day and I think I know why the firmware.nds file doesnt work

It works when you run it through a DSi but not a 3DS

On the 3DS it goes through the setup asking for your name, birthday etc and after that it turns the console off

BUT

I did find out that after rushing through the setup, in the 3DS settings the nickname for my console as 111111 and the 3DS nickname was Warmo like normal, it seems that it is trying to write to the consoles memory but on a 3DS although there are DS options, nickname is not there, I would guess one setting affects both, but running the firmware file changes one, I think it also affects other info like birthday and colour but I haven't properly tested it, and I don't really want to

Nice find. Maybe a newer frimware will work?

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I did not mean to pull this thread up but since you did already... Pictochat from the DSI is better because it has some colors or whatever... My daughter DOES NOT WANT THE 3DS because she cannot play pictochat.... and she does not want ds pictochat. Well see what happens I might sell it because it does not has frickin pictochat lol

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
I did not mean to pull this thread up but since you did already... Pictochat from the DSI is better because it has some colors or whatever... My daughter DOES NOT WANT THE 3DS because she cannot play pictochat.... and she does not want ds pictochat. Well see what happens I might sell it because it does not has frickin pictochat lol

We actually know that, but at the time being it is not possible to get the DSi version. It is not available on NUS, and we can't extract it from a NAND dump in we don't have the console specific keys (yes, the common key is no use in this case).

Heck, we can't even dump the DSi NAND without opening the console and desoldering it, because the current homebrew development toolkits aren't compatible with most of the DSi hardware, AFAIK.

mrexodia97

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
When i start this on my DSTWO in 3DS and i set the Settings from firmware.nds, the 3DS shut down!

on NO$GBA it crashes when i click on pictochat!

please help

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol