Rumor: two Switch hardware revisions entering production

hacs_001_imgebr_p_01_r_ad-0_lr.jpg

According to the Wall Street Journal, Nintendo is currently moving its production sites away from China, to an undisclosed location in South East Asia. The reason behind this move is the trade war between China and the US, with tariffs now applying to all Chinese-made electronic products. The WSJ is also revealing that two new models have entered production: a new, more powerful system that will resemble the current one; and a second "lite" model that will be sold at a cheaper price and look somewhat different.
The Wall Street Journal reported in March that Nintendo planned to update the Switch this year with two new models. One is set to look similar to the current model with beefed-up components, while the other is expected to be a less-expensive model with a new look.
People involved in the supply chain said production in Southeast Asia has started for the Switch, including the current type and the two new models, suggesting Nintendo is getting ready to introduce them soon. They didn’t give specific volume figures but said Nintendo wanted to have enough units to sell in the U.S., the largest market for videogame consoles, when the new products go on the market.
This has not been confirmed by Nintendo yet and nobody yet knows when these two new models will hit the market. But if this comes true, will The Witcher 3 run at a higher resolution than 540p on the new, more powerful model? Time will tell. Which of these models are you more likely to purchase?

:arrow: Source: WSJ

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Idk, this whole thing seems semi-off to me. You'd think if they were gonna release a new revision anytime soon it would've been announced at E3. Maybe it'll be out around Christmas?
or maybe black Friday?
this doesn’t seem so far fetched to me, hardware revisions are a common thing for Nintendo
the Switch has been on the market for a while now
and it’s the WSJ after all...
wishful thinking

Lumian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's more than possible the hardware revisions were done, in part, to throw a monkey wrench in all the hacking going on right now too.

D

Deleted User

What makes this rumor any more credible than the numerous others? We've been having the "new Switch revisions" leaked for months now.
There have been rumors going on for a while from the Wall Street Journal and a Japanese business analytics firm whose name I don't remember. I'm assuming this one made front page news because the Wall Street Journal is a creditable source and this time they report the new models have entered the production stage.
It's more than possible the hardware revisions were done, in part, to throw a monkey wrench in all the hacking going on right now too.
Post June 2018 Switches on FW 8.0 or higher are currently believed to be unhackable. Hacking probably has nothing to do with it.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: atoxique and Lumian

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
WSJ has been really backing this claim hard. At this point, I believe it. It’s baffling to keep it from being announced at E3, but Nintendo has always been a very weird company.
It kinda makes sense. To some extent, hardware announcements at E3 get swept under the rug in favor of all the focus on games. This way they can dedicate a Nintendo Direct, of whatever length they want, solely to showing off the new revisions and their capabilities. And they can drop the announcement late summer/early fall, right before holiday shopping season begins.

Reactions: Lumian

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
this seems wierd imo becuase if its entering production they would be released in like 3 months so why not reveal them at e3? doesnt make much sence to me.

Reactions: JavaScribe

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1