• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 7,893
  • Replies 40
  • Likes 1
D

Deleted User

OP
We've heard rumors about this before and here's another one. According to the Wall Street Journal a Switch Pro is coming out later this year. Whether or not it comes out this year I'm sure that a Switch Pro was always going to come out sooner or later. When looking at the Switch's raw power it's pretty shit.
Switch Pro and Lite - While the 2019 Switch Pro has been already reported to be in development by the Wall Street Journal, I also think Nintendo will offer a "Switch Lite" (or just keep the current version at a lower price) to cover the lower end of the spectrum and offset sinking 3DS sales.

This is a mixture of speculation and what I personally would like to see in a Switch Pro.

- Tegra X2 (or better)
- Better battery
- Better heat dissapation (this and the above point allows the clock rate to go up)
- 128 GB storage at least (32GB in 2017, seriously Nintendo?)
- Reduced input latency
- Noteworthy games updated to take advantage of the superior hardware (BotW, Bayonetta, Doom etc.)

If the Switch Pro turns out to be real I'll probably buy one, transfer my Nintendo account to it then hack my current Switch.

Source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-01-02-what-lies-ahead-analysts-make-2019-predictions

Reactions: KiiWii

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
We've heard rumors about this before and here's another one. According to the Wall Street Journal a Switch Pro is coming out later this year. Whether or not it comes out this year I'm sure that a Switch Pro was always going to come out sooner or later. When looking at the Switch's raw power it's pretty shit.

This is a mixture of speculation and what I personally would like to see in a Switch Pro.

- Tegra X2 (or better)
- Better battery
- Better heat dissapation (this and the above point allows the clock rate to go up)
- Reduced input latency
- Noteworthy games updated to take advantage of the superior hardware (BotW, Bayonetta, Doom etc.)

If the Switch Pro turns out to be real I'll probably buy one, transfer my Nintendo account to it then hack my current Switch.

Source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-01-02-what-lies-ahead-analysts-make-2019-predictions
Nintendo is so cheap or economical to put it another way, that I doubt they'd go with 128GB storage as much as that would be amazing. I'd expect at least 64GB though.

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would definitely love to see a Switch Pro with more power so bigger games can make the jump, that's not gonna happen though so I guess just a little performance boost with better heat management is enough for now. Maybe just enough power to hit a solid 720p/1080p in all its games.

D

Deleted User

OP
Nintendo is so cheap or economical to put it another way, that I doubt they'd go with 128GB storage as much as that would be amazing. I'd expect at least 64GB though.
Yeah, they are tightasses.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Switch Pro hack, when?!
The Switch was pretty secure (minus some unfortunate mistakes) when FW 2.0 was introduced. Now that most known security glitches have been patched, including the infamous bootrom bug I find it hard to imagine the Switch Pro getting hacked easily. The situation will probably be like the PS4 where you have to wait months with an older FW before kernal/trustzone exploits are available.

Mariko = Switch Pro/V2 right?
Its possible (but I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about).

Would definitely love to see a Switch Pro with more power so bigger games can make the jump, that's not gonna happen though so I guess just a little performance boost with better heat management is enough for now. Maybe just enough power to hit a solid 720p/1080p in all its games.
That's what I'm thinking. BotW could probably run at a constant 1080p 30fps. Not a huge improvement but definitely noticeable.

Last edited by ,

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be clear: the only thing WSJ report suggested at all was a higher quality, more power-efficient display. That's missing any hint of the kind of performance improvements people expect with the name "pro" or even "New."

This latest "rumor" is not a report at all, its just some random analyst's blind speculation. Which is worth about as much as what we do here.

The thing I personally feel pretty certain on (much like these analysts) is that they have to offer some kind of cheaper switch to sell Pokemon 2019 to more kids, a game that Gamefreak already stated publicly was more of a "handheld" game compared to the "home" Let's Go. That doesn't rule out releasing a pro and discounting the original, maybe selling it without a dock or something, but I would start there when trying to figure out what the Pro will be.

Whatever mild upgrade we might get, it will be completely blown out of the water by the XB1/PS5 as home consoles in 2020, and the trickle of AAA ports is going to all but vanish due to the power gap there. As such I'm not really convinced there is much point to pushing power further, rather than shoring up portability, price, or motion gimmick advantages they have over their competition.

Reactions: ZoneBlaze

burial

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just dont see Switch pro as a reality.....

Switch Mini? Yes

Dock Pro? Maybe

Both of those options could be $200 or maybe less, but a Pro Switch? Easily $400 or more.

Reactions: SLiV3R

Blyton

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
They shouldnt update the switch itself
Instead develop a "Dock Pro" with hardware in it so the switch itself dont even need to be updated/upgraded

That was a speculation many many ppl had back when the first trailer launched

Godofcheese

Insane
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I'm sure they will just release a dock that actually has hardware in it.
For the unit itself they will prolly replace the IPS screen with a TN to cut costs and then jam in a larger battery.

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
Since when the fuck are predictions and rumors synonymous?

Anyway, personally I don't see the appeal and hunger for a more powerful console. Until the XBone and PS4, the entire point of having a console instead of a computer was that you were all set for that entire generation of games.

Even if the Switch gets an upgraded version, it's not gonna help bring more demanding games to the system, because they aren't gonna split up the userbase. Most of all, I think it's really disrespectful to release a powerful system down the line and fuck over all the initial fans. They're basically saying "Ok, you can support us now and play some exclusives, then buy the console again but even more expensive half way through its cycle if you actually want to experience the rest of the cycle in a better way." by doing this kind of shit and I can't see how a consumer is actually asking to be treated like that. Is the new standard gonna be to wait through half a generation before you jump in to get a better unit and some potential enhancements in games?

What is with this desire for a new revision?

(also lol @ Pachter thinking TESVI will be this year)

Last edited by Shadowfied,

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

- Tegra X2 (or better)
- Better battery
- Reduced input latency

Sounds good to be true but I shall wait and see this year. And I don't have Nintendo account and never will. For what ? Not needed anyway.

Therefore: I don't trusted Michael Pachter. He has a mouth problem. He thinks he knows everything. To be honest, he is very annoying. I will wait for TRUE information soon.

I just dont see Switch pro as a reality.....

Switch Mini? Yes

Dock Pro? Maybe

Both of those options could be $200 or maybe less, but a Pro Switch? Easily $400 or more.

Thats an opinion and not a fact. That's why I am not saying anything and none at all. I said it is very nice and hope its true but I sit back and wait for TRUE INFORMATION coming in and less guessing.

Last edited by spotanjo3,
D

Deleted User

OP
Most of all, I think it's really disrespectful to release a powerful system down the line and fuck over all the initial fans. They're basically saying "Ok, you can support us now and play some exclusives, then buy the console again but even more expensive half way through its cycle if you actually want to experience the rest of the cycle in a better way." by doing this kind of shit and I can't see how a consumer is actually asking to be treated like that. Is the new standard gonna be to wait through half a generation before you jump in to get a better unit and some potential enhancements in games?
Isn't this exactly what Nintendo did to Wii U owners?

Reactions: Friendsxix

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
Isn't this exactly what Nintendo did to Wii U owners?
Are you trying to say that the Switch is an updated version of the Wii U? Cause that's not even remotely the case. It's not a revised console. The gap between the Wii U and the Switch was about as big as the gap between Wii and Wii U. It had its lifespan. Whether or not it was a good one is a separate discussion.

They didn't release another revision half way through that offered an experience that was different from the original release (which PS4 and PS4 Pro does for example, 30 vs 60 fps in certain games etc), and that's what people seem to be asking for, and that's what I'm afraid of - not of it happening, cause it wont with Nintendo and the Switch, but that people are literally asking to be devoured like this. It's extremely destructive from just about any way you look at it for what it could bring.

Imagine if all future generations will have 2, maybe 3 revisions with different hardware, forcing you to buy the latest unit if you want the best experience.

Obviously if it's just a redesign (DS Lite, DS - 3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS - PS2, PS2 Slim - PS3, PS3 Slim, PS3 Super Slim etc) then it's fine.

Reactions: b_dasher
D

Deleted User

OP
Are you trying to say that the Switch is an updated version of the Wii U? Cause that's not even remotely the case. It's not a revised console. The gap between the Wii U and the Switch was about as big as the gap between Wii and Wii U. It had its lifespan. Whether or not it was a good one is a separate discussion.

They didn't release another revision half way through that offered an experience that was different from the original release (which PS4 and PS4 Pro does for example, 30 vs 60 fps in certain games etc), and that's what people seem to be asking for, and that's what I'm afraid of - not of it happening, cause it wont with Nintendo and the Switch, but that people are literally asking to be devoured like this. It's extremely destructive from just about any way you look at it for what it could bring.

Imagine if all future generations will have 2, maybe 3 revisions with different hardware, forcing you to buy the latest unit if you want the best experience.

Obviously if it's just a redesign (DS Lite, DS - 3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS - PS2, PS2 Slim - PS3, PS3 Slim, PS3 Super Slim etc) then it's fine.
Given how quickly the Wii U got abandoned and most of it's games worth playing were ported to the Switch at full price, I think it's close enough.

Reactions: SuzieJoeBob

b_dasher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I never liked the idea of better versions of systems since it blurs the generations together and makes each step less noticeable. Slims and optimized models are always welcome. I would hate it if Nintendo were to release a newer version and make all the things many people want (gamecube/wii virtual console) and certain highly anticipated games run exclusively on it. I find it's a stoop-low way to try to get more money from people. Before, you would get the same experience as everyone else for about 6 years and now some are splitting it. The only way to do it properly would be what Microsoft seems to be doing which is make a slightly more powerful system every few years but they are fully backwards compatible with previous generations but at that point it feels like a smartphone generational thing which makes the console feel less special in a way. Companies may not go for highly advanced hardware because they'll just release a new one in 2 years anyway to catch up so they can plan the obsolescence for a much shorter time.

D

Deleted User

OP
I never liked the idea of better versions of systems since it blurs the generations together and makes each step less noticeable. Slims and optimized models are always welcome. I would hate it if Nintendo were to release a newer version and make all the things many people want (gamecube/wii virtual console) and certain highly anticipated games run exclusively on it. I find it's a stoop-low way to try to get more money from people. Before, you would get the same experience as everyone else for about 6 years and now some are splitting it. The only way to do it properly would be what Microsoft seems to be doing which is make a slightly more powerful system every few years but they are fully backwards compatible with previous generations but at that point it feels like a smartphone generational thing which makes the console feel less special in a way. Companies may not go for highly advanced hardware because they'll just release a new one in 2 years anyway to catch up so they can plan the obsolescence for a much shorter time.
I think that these days people take performance more seriously than they used to. More people want more stable framerates, better framepacing and 60fps. Last time I tried playing on a Nintendo 64 I couldn't handle the shitty sub-30 framerate. There isn't much exclusive N3DS software, just SNES virtual console and a few games which couldn't run at playable speeds on O3DS hardware. The main advantages of the N3DS are the menu doesn't lag anymore and it includes super-stable 3D. The Xbox One, as you mentioned is better as far as software support goes.

Upgraded consoles are one of those things that divide gamers. Some people are for it and others are against it but ultimately you vote with your wallet. I like upgraded consoles because of the superior technical performance but think that amiibo are the worst fucking thing Nintendo has created.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1