[Rumor] Pokken Tournament Switch port

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by leafeon34, Jun 2, 2017.

1. leafeon34
    OP

leafeon34 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 30, 2014
    So pretty much, a Japanese retailer accidentally mentioned that "a new fighting game arcade stick for the Nintendo Switch" will be compatible with Pokken Tournament. The listing was later revised and no longer mentions Pokken Tournament.

When I first read this article this morning I thought to myself "fuck me, another cash grab by Nintendo. I already own the Wii U game and Hori Controller" But now I hope that this is does come to be. Before any of you bring up my very colourful post about Mario Kart 8: Deluxe Edition I shall explain why this is different.

We are going to get a Mario Kart 9. We don't need to speculate on whether or not it will happen. It will happen. But Pokken tournament is different. It has only been released on the Wii U and in arcades in Japan. It's a great game and I want to see it live and evolve over the generations rather than be remembered as a gem on a failed console.

Source: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ken_tournament_in_switch_arcade_stick_listing

2. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    I think it's different as well but for a different reason: there was Mario Kart 7 for the many 3DS users that didn't buy a Wii U. This is an arcade game and hopefully, if it's true, they will put everything available in the arcade version.

3. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    if they include all the arcade exclusive fighters it would be amazing since the wiiu had noone.

4. kprovost7314

kprovost7314 GBAtemp's Official Bara Master

Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    In that bara manga ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Pokken Tournament but no Melee HD sounds fishy

5. THEELEMENTKH

THEELEMENTKH Don't mind me

May 31, 2016
    Spain
    Hell
    Rule #1 of leaks/rumors: Every leak/rumor is fake unless proven otherwise by the company who has to make the product

6. Justin20020

Justin20020 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 22, 2015
    Gambia, The
    That would be fucking great if pokken comes to the switch <3

7. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein More coffee, please!

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    MK8DX was a perfect cash grab for which I am hounored to let my cash be grabbed.
    Pokkén... not so sure, not that much interested really... I might think about it.

8. Pippin666

Pippin666 SSF43DE Master

Mar 30, 2009
    Canada
    Montreal, Qc
    Please no, nobody should lose time working on Pokken. The quantity of fighters available in that game is a pity compare to how many it was possible to bring.

Pip'

9. leafeon34
    OP

Sep 30, 2014
    In my unpopular opinion the low amount of fighters is a good thing. Having too many fighters like in Tekken 7 and Sm4sh over-complicates the game. With that said, an extra half a dozen fighters would be nice. Just not too many.

Last edited by leafeon34, Jun 4, 2017
  10. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    I'd love to be able to give Pokken a try finally. If this rumor is true it seems Wii U games are really easy to port over for Nintendo.

11. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    every game is easy to port when you have the source code and your porting it to a slightly more powerful console lol, when its porting to a weaker console then its where the hard part begins.

Xzi likes this.
  12. Elrinth

Elrinth :Master beyond your imagination:

Nov 6, 2002
    e3 is right around the corner! so maybe it's announced there?
    I'd rather have some NEW games than PPPs.

13. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    True, but Switch has a considerably different architecture from Wii U. There was no guarantee of such ease of use for Nintendo.

14. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    when you are the makers of the game you know exactly what functions do what and what needs to be changed.

whateverg1012 likes this.
  15. Agent Moose

Agent Moose GBAtemp Fan

Dec 6, 2014
    United States
    Looks like this rumor was true. Pokken will be coming to the switch. I do wish it was something else. I wasn't a fan of the game.

16. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    if smash doesnt get an announced DX version with all dlc i will be pissed now.

17. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    What, do you think Nintendo writes games in assembly language nowadays?

Almost all of Nintendo's software is written in C++. This makes it easy to port between processors, assuming you don't rely on undefined behavior. (In the case of PPC and ARM, both CPUs generally don't allow things like unaligned word accesses, so that isn't a problem.)

18. leafeon34
    OP

Sep 30, 2014
    It has now been proven otherwise.

THEELEMENTKH likes this.