Rooting without voiding warranty

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones and Media Players' started by DismissedGuy, Oct 18, 2016.

1. DismissedGuy
    OP

DismissedGuy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 15, 2016
    Netherlands
    Mercury
    Hi guys!
    This is my 3rd thread, and I can say: I really like this site! Ok, so I'll just start now, and spare you guys the reading of my very interesting life stuff:D

I just got a new phone, (galaxy s4 mini GT-I9195) and this is my first android PHONE (I already have an android tablet). When I heard from rooting, I was so excited about it, that I rooted my tablet, which already lost its warranty a couple of centuries ago.

I liked the rooting so much, that I wanted to root my phone, so I always have my personal rooted device in my pocket. But, I DO NOT WANT TO LOSE THE DAMN WARRANTY!!! I mean, serious, WHY DO YOU NEED TO LOSE IT?!?!

I already found people saying that iRoot will not void "it" (I dont want to talk about it anymore) but some other people saud that KingoRoot will not void it either, but I rooted my tablet with KingoRoot and the KNOX counter just jumped to 1...

So I'm asking you, is there any way how to root android? Please dont tell that towelroot, KingoRoot, king root etc. Don't void it because they dont support my device...:mellow:

:gun::gba::whip:
    Root wants me to do it...
    Please help me...

2. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    Well Samsung Galaxy devices have a feature known as "knox" which is triggered when you mess with the kernel/recovery which will void your warranty. I'm not sure if this has changed in recent years, but for your device, research "knox"

3. DismissedGuy
    OP

Newcomer
    Aug 15, 2016
    Netherlands
    Mercury
    Yea... I know pretty much about KNOX and know that my device has it, and that my tablet triggered the KNOX counter... Some people told me to disable lock reactivation and then use iRoot pc to root it... but I'm here to know if it's true:D

4. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    You can just reset the KNOX counter if you're really worried about warranty, but 99% of the time if you have to repair your phone for whatever reason no one bothers actually checking whether KNOX was tripped or not. There have been a few methods to reset KNOX, which you should be able to use just fine.

But, assuming your location flag is correct, it wouldn't matter if you trip KNOX as EU legislation states (for the most part) that no warranty can be voided by software changes like rooting/flashing custom ROMs. So you wouldn't have to worry about it regardless.

5. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    With OnePlus phones, you keep the warranty when rooted or using custom roms even.

6. dankzegriefer

dankzegriefer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 19, 2015
    United States
    Under US law your warranty is not voided and if they refuse to fix it because it rooted you can sue.

7. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    Newer Samsung phones (S4 and higher) use efuses for KNOX so there is no way to reset them to gain back warranty (may not be a problem in EU) and Samsung Pay (it will never work again)

Last edited by driverdis, Oct 19, 2016
    yuyuyup likes this.
  8. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
  9. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
  10. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    And? The OP has an S4 Mini, not a Note 3, so that doesn't matter. And while Samsung could detect the damage done to KNOX, it's highly unlikely they'll attribute it to the user and refuse to fix it.

But, as I said, it doesn't really matter since KNOX trips can't void warranties in the EU.

11. Luckkill4u

Luckkill4u 4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jul 13, 2008
    Canada
    Insomnia
    Root = Void warranty... Well there are root methods that will not trip KNOX (or Sony's DRM) by flashing an engineering kernel (if it was leaked) then flashing root permissions but not all devices are supported (Like my Galaxy S7 Exynos).

IMO any Android version 6+ doesn't really need root. There are quite a few paid or free apps on the play store that will do the same.

12. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    Root =/ Void Warranty when people buy OnePlus phones, they even repair phones with custom roms.
    I think it is dumb that everyone else voids their warranties for software modifications.

13. dankzegriefer

dankzegriefer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 19, 2015
    United States
    Under US law your warranty is not voided and if they refuse to fix it because it rooted you can sue.

14. Luckkill4u

Luckkill4u 4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jul 13, 2008
    Canada
    Insomnia
    Then buy a OnePlus or Nexus phone... You don't have a warranty after one year of owning the smartphone anyways

15. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    the problem is that it is not worth the thousands spent suing them for a 700$ phone.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

in fact, my daily driver is a OnePlus One.

16. DismissedGuy
    OP

Newcomer
    Aug 15, 2016
    Netherlands
    Mercury
    Thanks for the help guys!
    I didn't even know that the warranty in the EH will not being void by software modifications... so that means: I CAN FINALLY ROOT MY PHONE WITHOUT WORRYING ABOUT THAT DAMN WARRANTY!

Edit: my phone is rooted now!

Last edited by DismissedGuy, Oct 19, 2016
  17. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    if you ever need the Warranty and they try to deny it, remember to push back a bit and they should accept it. that is one of the benefits of living in areas covered by E.U. law.
    People like me in the U.S. are always screwed over by companies as suing is not an option financially for denying warranties over software modification, That is why I got a OnePlus One when it came out.