Hacking Rominator v2008

LordMelkor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now not that it really matters, since I am happy enough with my settings in the "~/Library/Preferences/Rominator Data" folder (I like all my settings centralized) but isn't the Mac standard to usually to have the kind of extra files those in the Rominator Data in the Application Support folder not Preferences? (the stuff in my preferences folder seems to be all com.* files)

ya... im being a nitpicking douche, but great job and thanks for the new release!

TechnoCat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, 2008.6 has a really nice changelog and runs perfectly. The column system is great. And i moved my rominator data folder back to where i prefer it with the exe and it worked without a hitch again. Thank you for that.

This is definitely something to be considered and put on the backburner, but now that you have wifi on it, why not also show games with download or single cart abilities? I'm not even sure if a database or a list of singlecart games even exists though.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
I didn't mean to piss you off of anything. Sory if I ruined your evening or anything. I felt like I was helping but I guess I was pissing you off instead.

Haha you didn't piss me off or anything, it just happens too many times and then it looks like I ignore them in the forums, which isn't my intention at all
smile.gif

QUOTE said:
You could send a message to Rominator from the installer using FindWindow and SendMessage, just send WM_CLOSE so the installer will work fine

That would be true if there was an installer
wink.gif
I opted to not include an installer since I update Rominator all the time, it's much easier for the user to just overwrite the older version with the newly downloaded one.

QUOTE said:
Now not that it really matters, since I am happy enough with my settings in the "~/Library/Preferences/Rominator Data" folder (I like all my settings centralized) but isn't the Mac standard to usually to have the kind of extra files those in the Rominator Data in the Application Support folder not Preferences? (the stuff in my preferences folder seems to be all com.* files)

That is not the "Mac Standard" that you believe it to be. There are plenty of other applications that would utilize either folder for their data, it all depends on what the developer chooses. Some programs that use the Preferences folder for application data as well are Microsoft Office applications, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Creative Suite 3 Applications, etc. I could go on
smile.gif

This is definitely something to be considered and put on the backburner, but now that you have wifi on it, why not also show games with download or single cart abilities? I'm not even sure if a database or a list of singlecart games even exists though.

You are right, there is no database anywhere that would tell you if a cart has download play compatibility, and since it was never checked from the start, I'm not about to change that. This will never happen, sorry. I just don't have time to play through 2,300+ games and see if I can do download play on them
tongue.gif

nemesis1978

Trophies
XP
Country
hankchill said:
You are right, there is no database anywhere that would tell you if a cart has download play compatibility, and since it was never checked from the start, I'm not about to change that. This will never happen, sorry. I just don't have time to play through 2,300+ games and see if I can do download play on them
tongue.gif

As Julius Caesar said: "divide et vinces" (Divide and you'll win)
biggrin.gif

With the help of all the people who loves your app, you could test the whole 2300+ roms.

We could divide the romlist in little pieces (About 25-50 roms), test this roms and pass the info to you, so you could update the database.

You have your first volunteer (Me
biggrin.gif
)

Greetings

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
nemesis1978 said:
hankchill said:
tongue.gif

As Julius Caesar said: "divide et vinces" (Divide and you'll win)
biggrin.gif

With the help of all the people who loves your app, you could test the whole 2300+ roms.

We could divide the romlist in little pieces (About 25-50 roms), test this roms and pass the info to you, so you could update the database.

You have your first volunteer (Me
biggrin.gif
)

Greetings

Well to be honest, I don't think it's a useful feature. If someone uses Rominator and has a flash card, then it's pretty likely that their friends have a flash card too, so what would be the point of having download play when they can do multi-cart play. I wouldn't bother wasting the time, and focus the energy on something a little more useful for the application
smile.gif

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
yoyo home skillet! lol

nice work! I noticed most of the changes. but I STILL CAN NOT UPDATE VIA HELP>CHECK FOR UPDATES!
frown.gif
Indiana Jones cant be found in the database!

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
juggernaut911 said:
yoyo home skillet! lol

nice work! I noticed most of the changes. but I STILL CAN NOT UPDATE VIA HELP>CHECK FOR UPDATES!
frown.gif
Indiana Jones cant be found in the database!

Juggy, I will DESTROY you because you already sent in your feedback. As I just mentioned a couple posts ago, if you're going to send in bug reports, keep it off the forums. I log them myself, so any bug reports on the forums won't be taken into consideration as much as ones sent directly to me via the Feedback System.

And Indiana Jones can very well be found in the database, and the updating system works fine, so I advise you to check your system and network settings.

leavemealone347

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if this has been answered before but I just wanted to make sure I understand what Save Defender is, I coudn't find it in the guide in the .dmg that I downloaded.

Does it somehow log the Roms you loaded on and then will only backup the saves if you have a new save? How would that work? Then also when your flashing will it auto flash the most recent save or something?

Thanks and sorry for the trouble.

stephenvz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
leavemealone347 said:
Sorry if this has been answered before but I just wanted to make sure I understand what Save Defender is, I coudn't find it in the guide in the .dmg that I downloaded.

Does it somehow log the Roms you loaded on and then will only backup the saves if you have a new save? How would that work? Then also when your flashing will it auto flash the most recent save or something?

Thanks and sorry for the trouble.

Save Defender is a feature that will automatically back up the save files from your flash card, and will perform an incremental backup, so every time a save is modified and inserted, it will back up and you can restore a save from any point you backed up.

lol i came on here to say that i had noticed a few of the new games had the wrong numbers but it looks like you fixed it today thanks

D

Deleted User

I cant get any thing to work (extract crc compress)is there a new file format for the roms.I been using the older verson and everything works right.

D

Deleted User

i see the old format was rzip and i cant find a single program in windows that extract that format

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
assmonkey123 said:
i see the old format was rzip and i cant find a single program in windows that extract that format
Import the rZips to Rominator and De-Compress them. Then you'll have your nds files and will be able to do anything with them
smile.gif

Mr.Seiko

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hankchill said:
BrianTokyo said:
It's actually pretty easy to use
smile.gif
My trimmer supports it. Let me know if you want the DLL and some info.

Thanks Brian, unfortunately I wouldn't even be able to call the DLL since I've written Rominator in RealBasic. I took a look at the 7zip code, technically I can convert it (since I have no problem converting C to RB) but it would take a long time and I know very few people would actually use it, so unless someone else decides they'd write a plugin for it that I can purchase, we won't see 7zip in it
tongue.gif

However if I ever do stumble across a 7zip plugin, I'd be more than happy to purchase it and integrate support
smile.gif

Perhaps you could send the C Code that needs to be converted to RealBasic, and I could take a look at converting it for you.
.... I really don't want to convert all of my Roms from 7-Zip to Zip, 1 because it just takes too bloody long, and I don't have enough Hard Drive space on my computer....
frown.gif

mr {dot} seiko {at} gmail {dot} com

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
TrolleyDave said:
Didn't Hank write a standalone decompress util as well?

I did
smile.gif
It can be downloaded right in my sig [rZipper].

QUOTEPerhaps you could send the C Code that needs to be converted to RealBasic, and I could take a look at converting it for you.
.... I really don't want to convert all of my Roms from 7-Zip to Zip, 1 because it just takes too bloody long, and I don't have enough Hard Drive space on my computer....

Do you have any programming experience with either language? I've got a lot of experience with both and even I don't want to take the time to do it because of it's complex nature
tongue.gif

EDIT:
I've just updated to v2008.7. It's a quick bugfix version to fix some issues.

Changes in v2008.7
[FIX] Trimming games on Flash Card trims properly if game isn't in database
[FIX] Fixed Manual Renaming for game lists
[FIX] Going into Preferences no longer clears the rom list view options
[FIX] Creating a new list with Icon as one of the columns shows icons properly
[FIX] Fixed renaming bug that wouldn't update the name properly and then tell you the game didn't exist if you tried to do anything with it

Sniffer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sniffer said:
hankchill said:
Sniffer said:
There are four 256MB roms within the list - 1458, 1934, 2032 and 2205.

Any ideas as to why it won't verify the CRC on them and just crashes ? Can't be a coincidence, can it ?

There seems to be a memory issue with larger games that crashes PC's, not Macs though.

Interestingly the previous version of Rominator verifies the CRC just fine.....

Have you been able to resolve the memory issue with the 256Mb roms ? Need to double check whether the CRCs are correct on them .....

Latest updates are great - thanks !!

questXtreme

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
hankchill said:
questXtreme said:
Is there a way to line the roms together according to their release numbers?I can't seem to do it.

If you mean sort them, then just click on the heading in the list of games there that says 'Number'. Done
tongue.gif

Thanks!Got it now.

By the way,I noticed there are quite a few games that has wrong names.For example, The Simpsons Game game title was "Simpsons Game, The".Another example is "Legend of Zelda,The - Phantom Hourglass".

Is there anyway to change it to the proper name, while still using the auto-naming feature?Or maybe you could fix it in the next update or something,that will be most helpful.Thanks for the help,anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you feed the hamster in your internet router? It prob died and is running slow now.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, why did you start saying my pc has a hamster in the first place?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its actua!ly just a old joke, meaning its slow. Was just kidding around with you.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I bet @AncientBoi has some hamsters hidden somewhere tho....
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think Game streaming should work like this.... Local Hardware able the run the game fine, game engine and common assets stored locally, all FMV and music and textures could be streaming
    +1
    Some temporary storage
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also @BigOnYa im making some progress on my gdevelop project, implemented various mechanics
    They went all in on streaming, should have been more of a hybrid approach
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or free government supplied high speed internet be nice also. Like Obama care. Xdqwerty that's cool, its time consuming but rewarding once done or playable, to see what you've made from scratch. Animations take forever, but worth it.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, although the bullets are a bit buggy
    +1
    Not to mention this would be a massive pain to pirate
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa,
    and the visual aspect of the game is quite crude (the sprite that looks best is that of the protagonist just because he is a stickman with sunglasses)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There is a bullets behaviour you assign to your character, that makes the code easier, under "behaviours"
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i meant that when the character is pointing to the right, the bullets spawn where they should, but when he is on the right, they move to the right but the spawn point is incorrect
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Itch.io has lots of free assets also. Under the bullets behavior tab, there is a "rotate bullets" option, can try that. Or in the code can try
    - fire bullet Player.X(PlayerDirection)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im taking a break for today anyway
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    YEa gotta after a while, looking at code for long periods will bug your eyes.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool tho, I'm proud of you going back to it, not giving up. It is difficult at first to learn, but fun once you get the hang of it. I think I've watched every tutorial video there is, but I still struggle sometimes to get stuff to work right. But gotta keep trying dif things, and eventually you will get it right.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol McDonald's has a grandma mcflurry
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, furry grandma?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It sounds good actually, I like butterscotch
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It sucked don't know wtf these little bits and pieces are they use now
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It sucked don't know wtf these little bits and pieces are they use now