Hacking Rom trimmer

hbk2015

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ive just ordered a R4, and 1gb Kingston card. Im quite new to all this, and Ive heard a couple of ppl talking bout rom trimmer, I was just wondering what this was, and what the point of using it was? thanx.

Densen

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
To expand on that, when roms are dumped, the complete size of the game's cart is copied, even if only a portion of that cart has game data in it. So a rom might be 32mb but the game only really uses 26mb. The rom trimmer will find the unused space and remove it, without touching the actual game data.

I hope that makes sense
smile.gif

Philosophy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are there any downsides to rom trimming? I'd like to cram more stuff on a card, but don't want to compromise performance. (probably a newb question)

Rayout

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No, trimming won't affect the gameplay at all (at least not with the Supercard trim-rom). All it should do is remove all the "filler" data that normally fills the rest of the space on a regular game cart.

You might accidentally trim out game data if you did it normally like people had to do at the start of the NDS scene but the provided software shouldn't do anything nasty like that.

Edited for grammar...D*mn you commas!

rippon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Really, it should be "D*mn you, commas!", because the commas are the subject, like you would say "this is my friend, Steve" or "please, feel free to fornicate with my sister, Gloria", or "please damn my smelly hillbilly father, Stinky Whistleteets".

Or smth... I just wanted to be funny
tongue.gif
Also sorry about the off topic post
tongue.gif

leetdude_007

Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think you can trim roms for those *new* slot-1 devices. I personally would only trim roms that don't have download play or if download play doesn't work. Sorry for the sloppy response.

Rayout

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Really, it should be "D*mn you, commas!", because the commas are the subject, like you would say "this is my friend, Steve" or "please, feel free to fornicate with my sister, Gloria", or "please damn my smelly hillbilly father, Stinky Whistleteets".

Or smth... I just wanted to be funny
tongue.gif
 Also sorry about the off topic post
tongue.gif

Reverse grammar nazi'd ;(

Philosophy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Rayout and thaigrocer for the answers. Trying to get 15+ on my card to have a nice variety. I decided to say screw it and go cheap online for my sd versus best buy, so I have a 1gig Kingston coming on Thurs. A bit off topic, but how many roms on average have yall been able to get on a 1gig? And if anyone who hasent' trimmed vs. trimming can answer would be cool.

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Rayout and thaigrocer for the answers. Trying to get 15+ on my card to have a nice variety. I decided to say screw it and go cheap online for my sd versus best buy, so I have a 1gig Kingston coming on Thurs. A bit off topic, but how many roms on average have yall been able to get on a 1gig? And if anyone who hasent' trimmed vs. trimming can answer would be cool.
Well, I'm currently in the process of putting a few roms on my card right now for when my R4 ships this week (I've got a Kingston 1GB as well) and so far, I've got 17 roms on there (trimmed) and I've still got about 276MB free. Really depends on what the size of the games you're putting on there are, but if you're trying to fit a lot, I'd definitely say to trim them first. There's apparently no disadvantage to doing it, and like I was telling someone in another thread, Pokemon - Diamond (128MB) got trimmed to 58.5MB and FFIII (128MB) got trimmed to 97.9MB. So a lot of games actually do wind up having useless padding space.

D

Deleted User

I think there's a disadvantage for trimming Mario vs Donkey Kong 2. I remember reading somewhere that the game uses that "empty space" when you download levels or something like that.

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
what option should I chose when trimming a ROM? Isnt there 3 options to choose from?
Nah. Just download the ROM trim tool from the site (link). You just specify the rom path and filename as well as the output path and filename (a default one with _trim appended to it will be automatically generated) and trim.

HayateSlash

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i'm pretty new to DS scene too and so, its 100% safe in terms of usage? i mean

any chances to get a rom corrupted using a trimmer tool?

idiot question as usual for me lol

thx
grog.gif

hmvh1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
this their anyway to create a script that will do a batch trim on all my roms at the same time.

Kyuzumaki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes found this http://forums.ds-xtreme.com/showthread.php?t=1050 on the ds-xtreme forums. (All credit for software goes to ShortFuse)

To use the software with an R4:

1: Create a folder [flash drive letter]:\apps\ (this mimics the ds-x structure)
2: Place your roms in there! Now you can use the tool to manage your roms.

The trimming algorithm is more fullproof than the one the R4 trimmer uses so it won't give you white screens.

The code has been posted for anyone whos interested. I'm thinking of creating a new tool similar to this but with the idea of being more generic instead of only catering for a single cart.
smile.gif

CODE/*
* NDS Trimmer (ndstrim) v1.0
*  written by ShortFuse
*/
#include
#include
using namespace std;

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
ÂÂÂÂif (argc != 3)
 cout

phoood

taking it to a whole new level.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
On average, I have around 20 to 25 roms on a 1gb microsd (with trimming on my supercard).

And It's my guess that trimming won't let you use the rom to its full potential on slot 1 devices, since you'd be editing the file and it wouldn't be a 1:1 copy anymore.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The only CoD game I played that I truly enjoyed was Black Ops 1, and only the single player...