Rockstar's parent company Take-Two files trademark opposition dispute for Remedy's new logo

RvR.jpg

Rockstar's parent company, Take-Two, has filed trademark dispute against Remedy's new logo, which was unveiled to the public back in April of 2023.

Take-Two opened an opposition dispute for Remedy's new logo starting on September 12th, 2023. Even though the Remedy logo was unveiled on April of 2023, the logo itself didn't get filed as a trademark until May of 2023, almost a month later, and while the two logos from Rockstar and Remedy are quite different in design, the one thing that both logos share between is a stylized letter "R", though it still remains to be seen whether this could hold up when the dispute is properly reviewed.

This isn't Take-Two's first outing in a legal battle, as they have been quite active in the legal front, filing for a trademark claim against the popular and Game of the Year winner "It Takes Two" due to the similarities between the game's name and the company's, and some time ago they also sued the developers behind the GTA reverse engineering projects, known formely as "re3" and "reVC".

The dispute currently remains in an "opposition" state, with the period for the opposition ebeing xtended as of August 8th, 2023 up to September of 2023, and as of today there's still no public ruling from the case.

:arrow: Trademark Dispute #1
:arrow: Trademark Dispute #2

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1705565679916.png

Maybe I bought their game because their logo reminded me of the burger?

I can't tell the two apart. The color is the same too. They also infringed on the letter R. In front or at the back, what's the difference?

1705566246190.png

Last edited by TomSwitch,
Reactions: BigOnYa

m00k00

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Let's be honest here: we are all part of the problem because we made those idiots rich by buying their products, although they've more than once showed us their real attitude in the past. That being said I have to agree with most of the posts here: They cannot / should not win this one, because if they do their case will only motivate more trolls to do similar things in future. One day we won't be able to use any letter of the Alphabet any longer because all of them are protected by intellectual properties of some greedy assholes. I really hope they will lose and I really hope it will cause them to waste a ton of money. This is pathetic.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The MPAA has owned a trademark on R inside a block for decades, and had it long before Rockstar ever existed. Did you ever wonder why only movies (and Adam Copeland) are "rated R" and all other ratings systems have to use other things like MA or M or 17+ or whatever in their not for the CHILDREN ratings? Because it's literally an owned mark.

MPAA's R and Rockstar's R might not be close enough to be actionable, not being in the same exact field, but they might be close enough to keep Rockstar or the cunts that own them from successfully going after another R inside a block logo.

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're not even coloured in the same way.
They have to lose this dispute, it'd be absolutely idiotic if they end up winning it.
Unfortunately IP laws are pretty idiotic. Like massive extensions of copyright length in the US that pretty much only protect companies like Disney. They'll probably drop it like the It Takes Two claim because they know they have no case.

The MPAA has owned a trademark on R inside a block for decades, and had it long before Rockstar ever existed. Did you ever wonder why only movies (and Adam Copeland) are "rated R" and all other ratings systems have to use other things like MA or M or 17+ or whatever in their not for the CHILDREN ratings? Because it's literally an owned mark.

MPAA's R and Rockstar's R might not be close enough to be actionable, not being in the same exact field, but they might be close enough to keep Rockstar or the cunts that own them from successfully going after another R inside a block logo.
I hope that does happen. Companies like Take-Two Interactive that are frivolous with stuff like this need to be punished. I'm a defender of companies protecting their IP like going after infringing fan projects (I don't like it but they're well within their rights to do it), but stuff like this is excessive. There's literally no similarity between the two other than the letter R.

Last edited by Guacaholey,

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
That sounds like crappy monopolization intents of the "R" letter.

Which legally can't be done.

I'd say everyone sue those stupid companies and boycott them down.

Ferris1000

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
don't they have anything better to do than suing random companies like developing a new game?

If they put that much effort into developing a game then their games wouldn't look like shit and their games would be more optimized.

AndorfRequissa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i used to like rockstar and take 2. but they have crossed the line and are getting into the category of unpleasant gaming development company that attempts to ruin and control gaming industry rather than making actual games. when have they last made a hit?

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Next think you'll know they'll be suing Toys R Us.

View attachment 414470

That R totally looks very similar and totally not at all different, doesn't it?
But Toy R US is not a computer software business. For trademark to take effect the two must operate under the business segment.

Let's say you call your business Banana Computers and your business grows so large that it becomes part of your identity when anyone associate banana with computers, in this case nobody else can use it in the same space.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But Toy R US is not a computer software business. For trademark to take effect the two must operate under the business segment.

Let's say you call your business Banana Computers and your business grows so large that it becomes part of your identity when anyone associate banana with computers, in this case nobody else can use it in the same space.
Founded in 1957, Toys "R" Us can sue take two and take back the letter R.
People buy their games cause they grown up with the letter R representing that goodness of Toys "R" Us

elk1007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These types of trademark lawsuit usually only happen within the same industry.
Copyright laws vary by country, but generally you can't have a trademark that may mislead consumers to mistake your brand for a substitute brand.

Reactions: raxadian

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These types of trademark lawsuit usually only happen within the same industry.
Copyright laws vary by country, but generally you can't have a trademark that may mislead consumers to mistake your brand for a substitute brand.
How is this for my new game studio
1705916437609.png

Reactions: raxadian

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto