Ripping game discs using backup loaders fails

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by risc80x86, Jun 29, 2014.

1. risc80x86
    OP

risc80x86 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2014
    Hello everyone. I got me a new Wii U after E3. Now I'm trying to hack my old Wii including installing a USB backup loader. I followed the instructions from CompleteSoftmodGuide to softmod the Wii, and everything seems to be ok. I'm in the point where even USB Loader GX runs. However, every time I try to rip/install a game, the operation gets stuck at around 2-6%; it won't go any further. I tried Wiiflow, and I got the same thing. CleanRip returns an error saying something about unreachable block. I'm not sure where to look.

The current setup I have is:
    - BootMii installed in Boot2
    - Homebrew Channel installed
    - Priiloader installed
    - Installed d2x-v10-beta52 cIOS on 249, 250 (based on the instructions from the guide linked above)
    - Running USB Loader 250
    - Using 32GB USB flash drive (newly bought), which I formatted to FAT 32 (DOS FAT in Mac OS)

I hope someone can shed some light into this problem. I could rip the discs using my computer but it's more convenient if I could do that using the Wii.

Thanks.

2. risc80x86
    OP

risc80x86 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2014
    I finally got this working using this thread describing the same problem. The root of the issue is the USB flash drive. I'm not sure but I think USB backup loaders are a little picky when it comes to the storage device used. I was originally using a 32GB Kingston DataTraveler, then I swapped it to a 8GB Lexar to test. Changing the flash drive solves the problem.

Just so that the 32GB flash drive wouldn't go to waste, I decided to just rip discs using the 8GB then copy them to the 32GB through my computer. This really isn't a very sustainable approach, but it works for the meantime. In the future, I'm going to replace the storage device with a larger capacity hard disk drive.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice