Hacking Strange USB Loader Issues - Strange Freezing During Installation

Cornholio309

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello GBATemp!

I registered because I've been having a strange issue with the two USB Loaders I have. I followed a tutorial on Youtube a couple of months back explaining how to install USB Loader GX 3.0 and how to install games.

While it worked, I've been having an issue that I've encountered again while trying to install Brawl today that I don't understand. I've had an issue while during installation, the installation freezes, but not my Wii itself. My Wii doesn't seem to freeze completely, as I can still use the Wii remote while I'm using USB Loader GX. Strange thing is, this isn't just USB Loader GX acting up on me. I've tried also using Configurable USB Loader, and it does the exact same thing (Percentage stops, small animation stops, and approximate time left doesn't change).

To go into more detail, what happens is that during installation, the percentage bar freezes along with the estimated time left to dump the game's ISO. This does normally happen during installation, but then it resumes shortly after. However, I'm having instances where it doesn't seem to come out of this, as I've waited two minutes and the installation hasn't moved. Like I said, with USB Loader GX, I can still use the Wii Remote, but the "Cancel" button doesn't let me stop the installation, so I have to power off the Wii anyway.

I have no idea as to what is causing it, as right before I tried dumping Brawl, I was able to dump Sonic Colors just fine (tested to see if the game booted, too). To make things more confusing, I've had this happen with other games such as Wii Sports (which I was able to dump after formatting the USB Flash Drive again), so I'm really confused as to what is causing it and how I'm even able to get it to work anyway.

Any ideas? I really want to dump Brawl and play it without a disc. Just to clarify, I have formatted the drive to FAT32, and it's a PNY 15GB Flash Drive. I also have tried formatting it WBFS, but I've experienced similar issues before.

I've also had an issue where it finishes 100%, but then both loaders freeze and I can't exit despite it claiming that it's done. Turning off the Wii and trying to play the game via the loader shows that it's incomplete, having a blank channel on USB Loader GX.

_acid_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i've never heard of this before so i wont be able to offer much advice, but it sounds like it might have something to do with ur cIOS's. Just a thought though.

can u post a syscheck so people can see what you have installed? cause those utube things can be pretty iffy, y'know.

Cornholio309

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can do. Thanks for the quick reply. I'll download syscheck and give it to you.

EDIT: Okay, here it is. Added the console id back because I thought it wasn't needed at first. Also, this is all sysCheck gave me in the excel document (opened using OpenOffice.org). It seems shorter than what you had. Any idea why?

sysCheck v1.6.2 by Erik Spyder

Region: NTSC-U
The system menu v513 is running under IOS58 (rev 6176)
Hollywood v0x11
Console ID: 10906141
Boot2 v4
Found 81 titles
Found 35 IOS on this console
Found 14 IOS Stubs on this console

Third (and hopefully final) edit: I also noticed that my SD Card was write protected when I plugged it into my computer. I turned it off, but could this cause issues?

Cornholio309

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it's been a little while, but I've seem to have solved the problem myself.

You know the 16GB PNY Drive I said I was using (meant to say 16 instead of 15)? That was the issue, apparently, as most of the times I tried to install a game with it, I would get the freezing issue I mentioned. I had another 8GB flash drive from PNY that I tried using, and it worked! The two games I attempted to install (City Folk and Brawl) worked just fine. Had to format it again to have enough space for Brawl, but it worked anyway. A quick question, though: Would this have anything to do with how I formatted the drive? Now that I think about it, I recall hearing that 32K is preferred for formatting. Is that true?

Either way, I can finally play Brawl on a flash drive! I guess the issue is that 16GB PNY flash drives have issues installing games for some reason.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)