Ripped no 3 Pad Installing Wiikey Help

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by foaley, Jun 8, 2007.

Jun 8, 2007
  1. foaley

Newcomer foaley Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Well I tried to install my Wiikey yesterday and as I was doing it I pulled a pad so now I'm trying to fix it, The soldering iron I'm using has a 1mm tip and there is no way I will be able to solder to the chip leg I was going to buy a new soldering iron as I can not get a tip smaller then 1mm I was going to get this one and get some better wire like this.

This is the iron I have been using

DOSS ZD929B 40 Watt Soldering Station

A few questions is .71mm solder wire ok as i cant find any smaller

Will a 13W 0.2mm tip Goot Leightweight Soldering Pencil be ok

If I stuff up is it easy for someone to fix the legs up?

Is there anyway of checking that I have not bridge a leg connection other then looking at it?
  2. arthurkok2

Member arthurkok2 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 30, 2007
    with a 40 Watt iron you can pretty much destroy your chip legs. no wonder your solder points came off. ur iron is too HOT!

15W iron or max 30 Watt is what u need
  3. genxor

Newcomer genxor Advanced Member

Jan 14, 2006
    If you don't think you'd be able to solder onto the leg very well then you probably shouldn't attempt it, but anyway..
    0.71mm solder is pretty big for this job. Try to find some 0.35mm or try to use a tiny amount of the stuff you have (not easy to do). To check for bridging you'd need a magnifying glass or microscope. Also, yeah, try to use a 15W-25W iron. If your soldering station is temp adjustable go for something like 360-380c.

I'd say it'd be worthwhile taking your wii to a professional to fix instead of risking it. Not to sound harsh or anything but if you have to ask questions like that about soldering something tells me you wouldn't be able to solder onto that leg cleanly.